Note to New Members ×

shin trauma- is this normal?

FTA2R

this is what happens. I am apparently catching an edge (fyi my edges are unbeveled and no detuning not sure if this matters here) b/c these bad falls are basically face plants and it's my rear shin, right where the top buckle is, that is taking the brunt of these falls. I bought some pads to fill in space b/w my shin and the boots, which def. helps, but who else has had this happen?

Today I had a very painful fall and re-aggravated my shin (a few weeks ago I sustained the initial injury to my rear shin). I iced it at ski patrol, but I had to step out of my bindings and just lie there on the side of the trail for a few minutes b/c of the pain (which is a first for me)

I do not think this is shin bang, this is more like blunt force to the shin, as the momentum obviously continues to carry me over after the fall has begun. it never happened before this year.

I may see the dr. this week but if this continues to happen to me I will have to start riding softboots again. i'm curious what other riders' experiences are?

I have skinny legs and my shins were getting worked from just pushing around. I tried the Eliminator, but it just takes up a lot of room in a very small section of the boot. I ended up buying boot fitting foam and putting two layers around the inside of the upper part of the boot and two layers behind the tongue. It's worked out very well so far, I have a nice snug fit without having to crank my buckles down too tight, and no more shin pain either.

hi,

rear cant is that Burton Universal pos cant, so it's hard to tell really what it is b/c i think cant is automatically built into it (vs. just lift) , so 3 degrees lift and whatever inward cant. outward cant on rear foot is very rare, no? there was a thread 'bout that last week. i can snap a pic when I get back into town...

Barry

i have the same problem. and last week i found this padding from my laptop bag and wrap it around my lining and the shell of the boot. it seem to help a little.

and i have my td2 cant outwards, is there adjustments on the boot as well and have that can outward ?

and how tight do you guys do up your boots? i think sometimes im over tightening it. and i have to loosen it after every run. else i'd lose feelings in my feet :P

sorry i've been on the road for a few days.

just got x-ray of the shin, they came back negative. did it more as a precautionary thing than anyting else. doc said just bruising, but that i do have high arched feet, which can make ankle injuries more common.

re: boots, i like my s**t tight! hahah...seriously, I buckle it tight, conventional wisdom when dealing with shin bang seems to be "buckle tighter." I bought those foamy pads and they'r edef. helping. i'll try to get my legs bigger for next year and maybe get heat modable liners. i'm also talking to a local carver re: foam.

i have a 3 buckle boot and usually loosten the 2 bottom buckles after every run.

re: boot adjustments, just 2 modes- walk and no walk.

i believe riding with no beveling whatsoever or detuning may be part of teh problem- I will be addressing this.

this is what happens. I am apparently catching an edge (fyi my edges are unbeveled and no detuning not sure if this matters here) b/c these bad falls are basically face plants...

I do not think this is shin bang, this is more like blunt force to the shin, as the momentum obviously continues to carry me over after the fall has begun. it never happened before this year.

Do you mean you were riding better last year and didn't have any face plants? If yes, then maybe it's as simple as your board needing a good wax job. Bad base prep could cause the board to slide unevenly, making it much easier to catch an edge.

granted the snow is a bit more abrasive (man made ) here, it's waxed usually ever 2-3 riding days at teh most, sometimes i don't ride much more than 4 hours out. last year i rode an burton alp, this year a donek freecarve. aside from constnatly tweaking binding angles, etc, i'm basically riding more agressive, no face plants last year, not that I remember. i've been messing with the burton universal cant too

Guest dragonsword5

At the beginning of the season my shins really hurt me too, but that could be due to the fact that I had new boots and were breaking them in. They still hurt time to time but I've really worked up my leg strength so it wouldn't hurt as much. I've never tried extra padding.

I like to buckle my boots tight too...to me it felt better and I like to feel the pressure of the boot so I know it won't spring open on me if its to loose. I have no idea if that's a bad idea or not or preference but that's just me.

Btw, when you chatter really bad does the back of your front leg knee ever hurt you? I chattered really hard once coming out of gate and couldn't bend my knee straight for a couple of days and I still feel the pain on and off sometimes.

What do you think?

yes, the "damage/bruising" occurrs in either a bad wipeout/face plant (I had one Sunday) or losing the edge during a toeside turn and the subsequent sliding and vibrations that produces. The pads have helped a lot. There is very little (if any) soft tissue b/w skin and bone in this area, so it's naturally susceptible. I will try to get my calves bigger for next season. I'm finally beveling my edges, have ridden my Donek 0/0 edges and some minimal beveling will be more forgiving, not that I didn't like the 0/0, just think it makes sense.

I've never had the shin issue you speak of, but:

I am apparently catching an edge (fyi my edges are unbeveled and no detuning not sure if this matters here)

A few years ago I had one of my boards beveled one degree on the base and one on the side, and found it much less likely to catch an edge when riding with the base flat on the snow. The effect is a bit subtle - you can still use the edge just like before with just a little bit of extra pressure. But I liked it so much that I have all of my boards done that way now. Far as I can tell there is no drawback to this at all.

Detuning, on the other hand... I have ridden with and without and didn't notice any difference.