Note to New Members ×

Building your own Boards

Chubz

Vertically laminated is reference to the glue joints only, it has nothing to do with how the wood is cut, or what part of the tree it's from. You are free to cut it as you wish, use popsicle sticks, or even add in some non-wood material in areas that are not critical for weight savings. There are so many possibilities.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"vertically laminated strips of wood" for the wood cores?

I'm just trying to picture what is meant by the above quote. ANy inosight to this would be great.

This page has some pictures of how cores are made.

I'm curious about something, if anyone knows. Do most boards use the rubber "foil" shown in his drawing? He says it adds a shear layer between the edge and the rest of the board. That sounds good, but what is holding the edge in? Without the rubber, I think it would be the edge material embedded in the epoxy between the base and the fiberglass layer. With the rubber, are the edge "fingers" held by epoxy between the base P-tex and the rubber, or by compression against the rubber, or something else? I'm probably missing something.

I'm also assuming from the drawing that the rubber foil is as wide as the edge material, including the "fingers", around a half inch or wider.

What the heck are those fingers really called?

I'm building a really cheap core profile shaper using a router, if it works I'll post pics and drawings.

From the boards I have cut up, I would say "most" (all the ones I have cut up have) have this rubber.

I think it is needed, otherwise you would have fiberglass bonded to the metal edge, this would not stay bonded long, it would shear very quickly. With the layer of rubber, you can bond the rubber to the metal then the glass to the rubber giving you a nice intermediary layer. These pieces of rubber are REALLY thin so I don't think the add much other than improving to the edges.

Just my thoughts.

• 10 months later...

So I thought I would resurrect this thread to first see if any of you guys ever got around to building a board? If so lets hear how it went.

But also because my local community college is going to do a class where I will get to build my own snowboard. I am so stoked about that! :D

I am still going to do a lot of research and check out all of the web sites that are listed in this post but I also thought I could get some feedback from people here about which route to go.

I figure that I have 3 choices:

1. Build a carving board. One thing to consider here is that I may only ever build one board, unless I invest in some equipment or take another class, and I know that chances are my first board may not turn out great and even if it does I know it won't be as nice as something I could buy and ride.

2. Build a big swallow tail powder board.

3. Build a split board.

I'm also going to look into wood veneers as a top sheet so worst case scenario is a have a nice wall hanger.

given how hard it is to buy the right alpine board from people who know what they are doing I think you would be better served from building a pow or split board. you teacher is also more likely to have working knowledge of that kid of board compared to an Alpine board. Good luck and post pics

Randy,

I did proceed with my venture and can say it was a great experience for me so far. It did take some cash to get it going and this is even considering I borrowed a good number of peices of mechanized tools from my Father during the summer, even the table saw that whacked the tip of my left index finger off while cutting sidwall material. Now they call me Tippy.

I had the pressing scheduled , but weather was a bit to cold at night for the epoxy I have been using.

here is a list of major things I went thru

Resawing of wood stock for stringers, epoxied strips to create a stringer block and resawed on order for strongers to match up on opposite sides of board. Buy a low kerf blade, pricy but worth it. I am looking further into fillers for the epoxy process for stringers because it bleeds out. Filler makes it more pasty. I had some open slots between some of the stringers I had to fill.

Purchased stock square tubular steel to build press. I recommend going with the open side i-beam type press and avoid the closed tubular press. Getting the layers, forms and bladder are going to be a pain to get into the press I built. I will change to an i beam press next summer. Ibeam press would be cheaper too.

Cutting and making forms for pressing and for routing of wood cores. This and the press took the most time (MDF is not the funnest stuff to work with).

After finish epoxying wood blank, routing the camber and the top curve of the board. Routing was fun b/c I could see the board being created, maybe like shaping surfboards.

Adhering sidewalls was a pain. Next time I will epoxy to core and then shape sidewall along with core if its possible. Tip and tail adherence is difficult.

I went with wood veneer and all I can say is I let my wife come up with the pattern, pick out what she wanted and I cut the veneer and urethaned, its should look badass. I also named it after her. when cutting veneer, tape it becuase it spilts easy and oversize the pattern. It will come to proper size in final cuts after pressing.

Base material was interesting to work with and I did a second one after super glue bled thru onto base material. I cut the first free hand and then using guides the second. Next time I am finding local person with CNC machine because the metal edges will show if your cut isnt near perfect.

Glued up the metal edges, whcih there is a sequence that I found worked well and can talk to you about it. I was also fortunate enough to have someone make me an edge bender. CHUCK is a GOD!!!!!!!

Also enjoyed doing the insets portion.

cutting fiberglass, Carbon fiber was fairly easy.

All in all I did run into some hurdles, but a great learning experience. I plan to have some templates CNC'd for diff board types, forms, etc and get better at CAD.

I basically worked from scratch, but look to simplify next year with use of some CNC's , but will continue.

I kicked around the idea of harvesting my own wood for the core because my dad and I do some tree work on the side, but my cousin threw me one better.....grow the trees and then harvest them to build the cores. far fetched but neat idea.

Certainly feasible, would be even easier with mechanized equipment and a 4 bay garage would have been sweet too. One car, unheated didtn cut it.

I would be more than happy to help you thru your experience.

Disappointed I didnt get pressed before the cold got here, but it will be fun to get back at it next summer. I will also be looking at making some long skateboards/

Spilt board would be tough I think and the swallow tail is also something I am lookinat for my friend who lives in Bozeman.

Thanks for digging up the thread, its interestig for me to read thru old replies to compare to what ppl said vs. what I did and learned.

Gotta run

Greg

Next summer I plan to keep a log. If I get proficient enough at it I hope to approach the local high school and see if they would be willing to fund some time and cash to allow a handful of students to sign up to learn how to make boards. I would imagine it'll be all freestyle interest. Better than making a gun rack.

As far as becoming another recognized builder, that is a long way off. The other folks are at least 10 years ahead of where I am but they have forged the way and I am following their dedication to making great products. I'm just another ape using a blade of grass to get termites out of the mound. DOnt ask, I think it was a Jane Goodall episode on Apes using tools.

Hopefully maybe I can stand in that group but for now, just learning.

I guess I'll see if my first explodes under my and if it does.....back to the drawing board. My wife supports it b/c she knows it's good therapy for me and keeps my idle hands busy besides the boys.

RR tie sounds great too, but I'm having trouble finding used 4 inch fire hose for bladder. I made another one out of reinforced roofing material and it is working very well when under pressure but the hose would be much more reliable. I put my press on some nice extra caster I rips off and old cart I had years ago so it wheels around the garage fairly easy.

Fiddled with the rods you spoke of Ralann and it is feasible, just working with CF and epoxy is not something I am into right now. You can get CF sleeves to make them, the connection points are the challenge.

Made some glove protectors out of CF/epoxy- a bit rough but once again can still work with a little more care.

Just babbling,

Resawing of wood stock for stringers, epoxied strips to create a stringer block and resawed on order for strongers to match up on opposite sides of board. Buy a low kerf blade, pricy but worth it. I am looking further into fillers for the epoxy process for stringers because it bleeds out. Filler makes it more pasty. I had some open slots between some of the stringers I had to fill.

Duct tape on the reverse face. let the epoxy flow where it will, its the best way to get a perfect fill. Pile the epoxy on and let it sink into every void it can find, the tape will keep it from running out entirely, you will need to do two or three pours to properly fill all the voids, the end result is well worth the extra effort. Sand or mill the excess off after its cured. If you use a "filler" it will prevent the epoxy from flowing as it was designed to do, while appearing ok on initial inspection, it will eventually fail.

Btw, the epoxy won't adhere to the tape.

Love the thread and the energy your putting into it. :)

Thanks for all the replies and Chubz, I will contact you when this gets going thanks!

I am leaning toward the swallow tail with a wood top sheet right now. Especially after finding out last night that I might have access to a board shop and all of their equipement for a second board. Don't hate me...

I'm a big fan of Arbor boards and have always drooled over the wood swallow tails from Europe like this one that Mats just got so I think this is the ticket.

post-831-141842224991_thumb.gif

If you could make one that said "PEBU" in big letters accross the bottom of it... And maybe a big pic of me accross the top... Yeah... Yeah, I like that.. Oh, and I can only spare about 150 bucks... Thanks

;)

BOTTOM.thumb.jpg on the bottom and topsheet.thumb.jpg on the top..... :D

Yea just give me a call.

My topsheet has the same concept as the shown board, but I'm not posting until it is complete, which is sometime in the spring, unless I can pick up a heater for the garage.

Mallard, I did tape, but didnt use duct or clear plastic tape. Used white masking tape and it stuck to the board, still had some leaking mor ethan I would have hoped.

Still trying to find a titinal supplier, but most searches come up for overseas and I cant dump that kind of cash. Maybe after a few builds I will look to go up that ladder.

The swallow tail would be an interesting build, especially if you shape the nose like O-SINS. I'd build a 185 plus, if I did. If I lived where pow was aplenty, I be making big ass floaty type boards.

Gotta run, regular job calls, ARGH!!!!

Been saying this for months, but my plan is to learn process by home building:

short twin tip board for my 10-year-old

relatively short pair of X-Country skis for my wife. (Camber difficult - may horizontally lam and route top/bottom camber into blank)

pair of of alpine skis for a friend, and finally

a 174ish all-mountain carver for myself.

Due to $$$ and space limitations I'm probably going to vacuum bag.

I mill my own wood and have the following species available - yellow pine, poplar, red/white oak, and sweetgum (an interesting wood tho it has a "trash" reputation.) Also have access to hard-to-work hickory which looks like it would make really springy stringers(?)

Hoping to build a solar wood kiln large enough to allow one-day curing of epoxied sandwich. Temperature can be controlled within limits.

Strictly non-commercial ambitions.

cheers

Still trying to find a titinal supplier, but most searches come up for overseas and I cant dump that kind of cash. Maybe after a few builds I will look to go up that ladder.

I think for titnal you need a press...

Cant you get some aluminum weaved into fiberglass?

I thought I saw that one in my life.

Ive seen the kevlar/carbon weaves... why dont board builders use kevlar?