Note to New Members ×

Opinions on Gunstock NH??

dano

Any one go there to carve? I have some free tickets and was thinking about checking it out with the wife. It looks like it's right near Lake Winn. and boasts the greatest views in the NE. I did check out the web site aready.

It's strange I never hear ANYTHING about this place...I thought it was in VT!

post-182-141842215193_thumb.jpg

That was my home mountain growing up (from Laconia originally). My perspective is skewed a bit since moving west to OR, WA, then UT. Its a bit on the small side, depending on what you are used to, but for free its a fun hill. I still pay for it every couple of years when I get back to visit the folks during the winter. Its been long enough I'm blanking on the trail names, but the race course is fun if a little narrow, and there is a blue groomer off the main lift to skiers left that is somewhat short, but really wide. The best part, if they still have it, is the noon groom, when they rotate over the whole hill at noon. I think they groom at about 4 for the night skiing as well. I'd bring something in the 160-170cm range to really utilize the place, but have ridden a 186 there with sucess, just makes the runs feel a bit shorter.

I just hit their homepage and they have a racer in the gates. The trail i was talking about is Smith off of the Ramrod Quad. Tiger, Cannonball and Redhat on the skiers left of the hill are called black runs and are fun, faster carvers as well. Can't remember any of the summit trails well enough to comment, but I had two nearly 200 day seasons there. Wow....

Guest nucarver

Lived just south there for several years. My wife and I would go there for a short trip away. At that time, I did not "carve", but I will say that we both can go pretty fast and the runs do seem short. It is a fun smaller mountain that I would definately check out for free. Where are you from? I have ridden most of the mountains in the East over the past 20 some-odd years, so I can do some recommending on longer/wider runs for carving.

For the info.

Looks like I never heard about it for a reason. However, free and good scenery goes a long way, especially if we get a good dump on a weekday.

My new-leftover PureCarve 175 seems to enjoy all conditions.

Me and my then girlfriend did years of ski house shares in NH so we'd go to Wildcat/Sunday River/Attitrash or Loon/Waterville/Cannon/Bretton.

I thought I had been everywhere in NH!

I live on the north shore of MA, so it looks to be about a 2 hour drive.

Guest nucarver

I lived in Salem, MA then in Haverhill, MA....you are probably looking at between 1-2 hours depending on where you are at. FREE is almost always worth it though! Have fun....and let it snow:)

hope your sis is OK dude.Those big Volvos can take a good hit. That sucks tho.We'll have to figure out something to get there by 6:00,that extra 1.5 hours makes a big difference.I've been grindin' on the seagull burritos, pretty tasty. Boil in microwave for 5 minutes and crispy 'em up in the Betty Crocker sandwich grill with some garlic butter.speaking of car wrecks, the Daytona 500 is getting ready to start. Man, I wish I was on the snow right now.8 degrees is prob too cold on boilerplate.WOW, Gretchen Bleiler and Hannah Teter running shotgun at Daytona~ God Bless america !

ya she's fine. She wasn't wearing a seatbelt so she hit her head. I didn't like the bus at all. Only good thing is not having to drive back and just relaxin. I haven't been watchin the Daytona 500. not a nascar fan, i do love the video games though. Watchin lotta hockey. Sorry to thread jack.

Ive never been to gunstock but i never heard anything bad bout it. Can't beat $6 lift tickets and some good perogies:). I'll be there everyday between march 4 and 8th i think. then off to ECES for a day or two then back to gunstock and wachuset. Good plan.

Added rear impact protection in you automobile! Those little pillows did the trick for sis! ( glad she's OK )

Actually I made some "Rogie-lasagna" by layering them with cheese, pepperoni, crushed red papper and homemade sauce.

( Although used footbeds and kotex would taste just as good prepared like this! )

ds

the site a little for example here is one for a trip to tamarack http://skitown.com/featuredresort/viewa.cfm/105/1.htm

and another link for tix to all sorts of places http://www.skitown.com/freetickets/ticketlist.cfm

I have put very little time or energy into finding deals, google is my friend for this as well as looking for sites that ski areas advertise at