Note to New Members ×

Can a 110 pounder bend a FP 161?

skategoat

Probably could be passable for some G.S. races, but still not ideal. Would be way too much board for SL. Do you have other options to consider or is this it?

Phil:

Alex is riding a 152 Prior WCR Custom. Very nice board but it's getting a little small for him and I'd like to free up the board for his little sister. Because it's a custom, I don't have exact specs but I compared it against a 147 Donek Pilot and I'd say it's very similar in stiffness. Donek's stiffness rating on the 147 is 0.8. The waist on the Prior is 17.8cm.

I tried him on a Rossignol Throttle 159. It's much softer than the Factory Prime but it's a little wide (about 21cm) and he said he had trouble transitioning, edge to edge. The next smallest board I have is a 168 Volkl RT.

Thanks for your advice,

Henry

You might want to try the 168. Don't think of the length of the board, think about what it was designed to do. The FP 160 was made for guys SL. The 168 is a junior/smaller girls G.S. board. One of my junior boys is on a 168, he probably weighs 100-115 pounds and has no problems with it out freeriding and in a G.S. course. You already have the prior that you could use for a SL board.

For me, yes in certain conditions (not uber-icy). We've got a red 164 in the basement and it's a favourite of mine. I'm not the most aggresssive rider, so someone more aggressive could certainly use it more than me.

beth

lightweight!

The 164 and 160 FP are very different boards. They may be very close in length, but that is all. The 164 has a sidecut and flex targeted toward entry level G.S. riders (small kids/very light ladies/first time racers). The 160 is a SL board with a flex suited to agressive guys, I've flexed some 160's that would be way to stiff for all but the heaviest SL riders.