Note to New Members ×

goggles color and transmission

Guest needanswer

Guest needanswer

just wondering, for goggles, what color and transmission rate are good for all weather conditions (sunny / overcast / cloudy) without too much compromise.

I'm just too lazy to switch goggles whenever the weather changes.

I was pretty happy with my Scott amplifier lens ; the lens is pink. anybody know the transmission rate for it? in sunny condition, there are no color distortion and in cloudy, there's a hint of pink in anything white, which actually looks pretty.

however it doesn't fit my new helmet , so I found something that has 32% transmission and amber color. is that good for general conditions or too dark?

there's another one that has 43% transmission with a lighter amber coated with blue mirror. is that better or worse?

I haven't had the chance to hit the slopes with it, but the amber does have good contrast out in the yard, but I don't like how everything looks orangey , looks like it's always sunset. may be it'll be different at the slopes.

also, is amber the same as "gold"?

and is persimmon the same as "pink"?

sorry, not good w/ colors ; got F's in 1st grade finger paint.

thanks

Guest Randy S.

Boy, I tried my new Oakley goggles with the HI Blue lens this weekend in cloudy/snowy conditions. Oakley's paperwork shows this lens having around 81% transmission rate (comparable to a clear lens). They were fantastic in the flat light conditions. I could see better than I ever recall in such conditions.

I ended up with the Crowbar model, rather than the Wisdom ones. The crowbars fit my helmet w/out a special additional strap. They were expensive, but I loved having them yesterday, especially when I did a face plant in the pow.

Guest needanswer
Boy, I tried my new Oakley goggles with the HI Blue lens this weekend in cloudy/snowy conditions. Oakley's paperwork shows this lens having around 81% transmission rate (comparable to a clear lens). They were fantastic in the flat light conditions. I could see better than I ever recall in such conditions.

does it make things look blue or is it just a reflective coating?

wouldn't 81% transmission be too bright on regular days?

Guest Randy S.
does it make things look blue or is it just a reflective coating?

wouldn't 81% transmission be too bright on regular days?

Things don't look blue.

Haven't tried them in sun. I wear sunglasses for those days. I only wear goggles in snow/flat light.

Guest Randy S.
Better than yellow? All I want out of goggles is good in snow and flat light. When it's sunny, I switch to shades.

I didn't compare them side-by-side in the snow, but I must say that the HI Blue was the best goggle color I've ever experienced in flat light. Its an expensive experiment, given what Oakley charges, but I loved 'em.

I didn't compare them side-by-side in the snow, but I must say that the HI Blue was the best goggle color I've ever experienced in flat light. Its an expensive experiment, given what Oakley charges, but I loved 'em.

My HI Blue lenses lok yellow from the inside... always have... they are 3 years old.

Guest alakata

the yellowish tinted ones are the best in low light and are fine in bright light, i have oakleys but dont know exact specs on color, but go more yellow and less redorange :eek: