Note to New Members ×

Kite Powered?

surfinsmiley

So I`ve read lots of threads where people mention that they are also into Kiteboarding during the non-snow months.

I`d like to know how many people around here also use their kites on the snow?

I`ve had a few goes at it and think it`s a blast. I`d like to start using my kites for backcountry access, now that I`m a pround member of the Tanker 200 club.

I have also been watching the kite speed records site a bit.

http://www.stormboarding.com/pages/10/

The skiers seem to rule this aspect of kites, but I`m wondering if a good SGS board might give the skiers a run for their money? What do ya reckon?

Guest Randy S.

Hmmm. I'd have thought they'd go faster than 50mph. I kite, ski and snowboard. If I were just going for all-out speed, I'm sure I'd opt for skis. Same deal as riding downhill. More stability with two independent platforms.

I've never snow kited, just water. I would like to try it, but the days that would be good, I'm always more interested in riding a lift and/or hiking on board/skis.

If you try it for backcountry access, DON'T go alone. You can get really f'd up on a kite, you'll want some help dragging your butt home.

If you try it for backcountry access, DON'T go alone. You can get really f'd up on a kite, you'll want some help dragging your butt home.

Yeah I know, I watched a friend of mine get dragged though a seaweed farm, like a big wooden house in mid construction, She broke her board, popped the bladder and ended up looking like she`d just had a motorcycle accident.:barf:

So....that`s why I`ve only had a few goes at it. Nice tame winds on rice paddies, it`s not to dissimilar to the ocean with the banks around the rice paddies fairly evenly spaced and fantastic for launching off.:D

ha ha ha, if I ever get around to posting the e-mail exchange I had in December with a Nigerian con artist, you'll know exactly what it is.

He was posing as a Nigerian woman who wanted to rent a room in my house...sent me a photo that was obviously stock photography of a model and asked me for mine. I sent a link to the Goatse image. His response was something like "Oh, a sight too horrible to behold."

:lol:

N.B. If you don't know what Goatse is, do not Google for it, lest you accidentally view it. Go to wikipedia and look it up there.

I have a small really nice place to kite after snowboarding on my way home from Aspen. If the wind starts to pick up on the hill from the North I just leave the hill at 2 and I am kiting by 3 and go until I am beat. I use, 90% of the time, my skis since it's so easy and I do not have to sit my ass down in the snow. But there are days that the snowboard works just as well. I have yet to try a carving board since going regular and goofy is much easier on a twintip than switching to a toe side pull. I have inflatables but on the snow I use foils since it is quick and easy to launch and breakdown. Plus they take up minimal roon in my car and i just keep them there for any occasion. It's really fun and very easy to learn with a foil. Inflatables are a different animal and need more respect because no matter what they are inflated at all times and want to fly. A foil is failry easy to pull out of the sky if you find yourself in a bad situation. they pull like trucks and are a blast. Water is more fun but snow is really a kick too.

If anyone is in the Aspen area and wants to kite on snow just let me know and hopefully it may blow from the North on a day you are here.

JoelP

ha ha ha, if I ever get around to posting the e-mail exchange I had in December with a Nigerian con artist, you'll know exactly what it is.

He was posing as a Nigerian woman who wanted to rent a room in my house...sent me a photo that was obviously stock photography of a model and asked me for mine. I sent a link to the Goatse image. His response was something like "Oh, a sight too horrible to behold."

:lol:

N.B. If you don't know what Goatse is, do not Google for it, lest you accidentally view it. Go to wikipedia and look it up there.

oh oh...scambaiting!

I've toyed with a few of those dip****s. definitely wish there was a way to do a lot more, actually hurt them financially somehow

last year one of those fools tried to pull that on me so I sent him an old STINKY pair of sneakers, complete with dog doo residue and a nice nasty photo of someone givin the finger

unfortunately I never heard from him

oh oh...scambaiting!

I've toyed with a few of those dip****s. definitely wish there was a way to do a lot more, actually hurt them financially somehow

last year one of those fools tried to pull that on me so I sent him an old STINKY pair of sneakers, complete with dog doo residue and a nice nasty photo of someone givin the finger

unfortunately I never heard from him

omg D-Sub there IS a way to do it more often. http://www.419eater.com:biggthump Its so addicting. I'll let you guys read the letters that i send. They are hilarious. In short, he thinks I'm an Austrian Business man with several swiss bank accounts as well as US and Austrian. He upfront, agreed to travel to Austria. I think I will be in Japan at that time. :)

Its really fun. These blood sucking scum will try to take money from anyone. Here is an example: http://www.419eater.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4598&highlight=nun+low

Our goal is to make them waste their resources and time because while they're "scamming" us, they're not scamming someone else. all of you should join in the fun. :lurk:

(wow lotta smiley faces in that post)

kite surfin just sounds like so much fun. I'm going to kill you guys if you get me into it! I already have too many hobbies (RC plane flying, skiing, carving, video games, Scambaiting) and not enough time/money to do them all.
Did you see this in the Metro on page 2 the other day ? I'm pretty sure the caption is a goof but the rest is for real. Lynch is from Laos and a pretty funny guy. That water is ....WICKED cold. :eek:Have you seen this? WEBLINK Warning: if you don't like girls in bikinis.... don't watch!

post-123-141842211551_thumb.jpg

smiley, check this out, my kiting/snowboarding buddy Johann from Sweden was just in Singapore and got this email before he decided to leave his kites at home: Sweet jesus.... one can get a caning:

> Hi Lono, we are experiencing the north east monsoon at the moment.

> Kiteboarding is illegal in singapore but should you be a dare devil the best

> place to try it is at changi beach in the east of singapore.

>

> Better to make a short trip to bintan, indonesia(by ferry) or East Johor,

> Malaysia by car.

>

> Hope this helps.

>

> James Yong

> Simply Works Pte Ltd

> Director of Kiteboarding Equipment

>

> 34 Toh Guan Road East

> #01-23, Singapore 608579

> Tel: (65) 9069-0478

> Fax: (65) 6262-2262

post-123-141842211554_thumb.gif

Yah, as i sayed in the other post, it's way fun.

Theres no question that kiteboarding out of the water is a ton more dangerouse. I would love to water kiteboard, especailly cause i live on fairly good sized lake; but water equipments costs soooo much more. The kites need to be inflatable so it doesnt sink....

if you guys are serious I can point you in the right direction to get some gear for much cheaper than $600 per kite.You tend to beat up your first set of kites cuz you crash them alot and have to learn how to repair pin sized holes in the bladders etc.Lessons can be pricey but it'll save you some brutal beatings and speed you up on the fun factor.Kiting can be really dangerous if you don't know what you're doing and just "wing it". Napoleon Dynamite: What kind of bike do you have?

Pedro: It's a sledgehammer.

Napoleon Dynamite: Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Napoleon Dynamite: [Cut to Pedro jumping] You got like three feet of air that time. :rolleyes: You'll be taking some sweet jumps in no time :biggthump TD2 W.Dennis 10-08-05

post-123-141842212295_thumb.jpg

If your looking to get into Kites then definately buy on the secondhand market.

A 2 year old inflatable kite is cheap and you won`t be all bummed out if you destroy it while learning.

Kites from the last 2-3 years are just like snowboards, not much has changed, the performance increases are not really noticable except for the new "Bow" style kites.

My personal favourites are the Flysurfer Speed kites. A water relaunchable foil kite that you can use on Water/Land/Snow. BUT, they`re expensive.

smiley, check this out, my kiting/snowboarding buddy Johann from Sweden was just in Singapore and got this email before he decided to leave his kites at home: Sweet jesus.... one can get a caning:

> Hi Lono, we are experiencing the north east monsoon at the moment.

> Kiteboarding is illegal in singapore but should you be a dare devil the best

> place to try it is at changi beach in the east of singapore.

>

> Better to make a short trip to bintan, indonesia(by ferry) or East Johor,

> Malaysia by car.

>

> Hope this helps.

>

> James Yong

> Simply Works Pte Ltd

> Director of Kiteboarding Equipment

>

> 34 Toh Guan Road East

> #01-23, Singapore 608579

> Tel: (65) 9069-0478

> Fax: (65) 6262-2262

Illegal:eek:.

Never tried kiting in Indonesia but I`ve spent way to much time surfing thoughout the area.:1luvu:

The Monsoon fronts/storms in that part of the world are not really windy.

Most of the housing wouldn`t stand up to what we consider strong wind.

The amazing thing though is the rain, it can feel like ten garden hoses spraying on you all at once. I doubt a kite would even fly in those kind of conditions.

One can also build one's own kites. Loads cheaper if you go with a 'known good' design, and there's a huge buzz to being beaten up by something you made yourself.

http://www.foilmaker.co.uk or http://www.surfplan.com.au/sp/ are good places to start

I'm waiting for a day when there's a serious amount of wind to get out and (snow)board with my toys. I haven't been buggying in ages, although I keep looking at the slopes, and then the buggy, and then the slopes, and then the buggy, and the word "downhill" pops into my mind...

Simon