Note to New Members ×

Mounting up a swallow tail? Nils?

Mr.E

Just got my new 185 Undertaker :biggthump

Just wondering how you guys mount these up. The nose and camber are so far off from my other decks. Both insert packs are 5 long, the middle measuring about 21", pretty close to my stance width. Should I mount foward, with setback, right in the middle? I know its all personal, but who want to waste time on a powder day screwing with binding placement?

Thanks guys,

E

The undy is one of the best "industrial" board. As usual experiment with settings. Its not necessary to setback bindings on a swallowtail, unless its really deep pow, since ST from this generation are designed to be ridden "on the nose" rather than on the back leg. Bindings: try to avoid overhang for the occasionnal times when you will be carving on piste.. I'm often falling big times with my settings because the backside touches the boots and boom...

Nils

ps: take pics :)

Just got back from riding my swallow for 5+ hours in waist deep snow. All I gotta say is now I know why people like 'em for those big steep pow fields I see pics of from europe. Ended up with my bindings set back quite a bit, front foot at the back of the last set w/binding set all the way back, and rear foot in the last set of inserts w/binding all the way forward. Found this way I could stand neutral on the board and trim it with pressure changes for and aft for speed control, and just a little roll for turns. It was way cool to drop into a steep and roll back on the board to trim a little speed, and hit the bottom of it and submarine the board and have it pop back up to the surface with good speed. And just way cool to float casually past everyone flailing and falling. Now, all I got to hope for is having a job tomorrow after playing hookie!

Mr.E: I mounted my Rossi Undertaker 185 up tonight with TD2's (BIG storm tonight, I've already shoveled the driveway twice). My stance width is generally 19.0 inches (years ago I started at 17.5 inches) which gives me quite a bit of fore and aft control. I mounted the TD's more forward but without using the forward most set of inserts.

The reason I do this is, at least here in the mountain west, it's very easy to trim out a swally and ride very fast instead of using a board as a powder brake. The Undertaker is untried so far because I've been riding my Tanker 200 and enjoying my front leg burning again. I suppose that the Dupraz board that Bola loves rides similar to a swallowtail or surf/snowboard. Funny, the Dupraz sure looks a lot like a Winterstick Roundtail of yore. Kudos to Serge Dupraz for keeping the dream alive.

Let us know of your success with your 185 Mr.E.

Mark

Mounted an old pair of O2/Snowpro plates, just aft of center. Looking foward to surfing off of 9990 at the Canyons tomorrow. To bad Snowbird isn't free on a pow day :rolleyes: I'll have the screwdriver in the pocket and report back.

Thanks for the help guys! Nils, I'll see if I can get any action shots tomorrow, otherwise it will be classic leaning aginst the wall shots :D

Ahhhh...1'-3' predicted for tomorrow :eplus2: