Note to New Members ×

Volkl RT older vs new one?

djlepper

Can you guys tell me whats the difference between brand new Volkl RT and the one on the picture right here (can you tell me what year it is - these are GS173 and 178?) I'm thinking about getting one and can't decide if I should go with the older one (better price) or get the 05/06 model.

Thx for any help :)

-matt

post-1973-141842211049_thumb.jpg

I had both 178's and the older one rides about the same. I bent the old ones nose at T-line after going over the handle bars on spring snow. Volkl sent me a brand new after sending it in for warrenty . I never expected them to be so generous... :)

Jim

My son rode his 148cm with that same topsheet today for the first time and loved it. I purchased quite a few of those last year and sold a bunch on ebay. So far everyone has been very satisfied with them. At $600 a pop for the new ones, they'd have to be markedly improved over the one pictured for me to pony up those kinda bucks for one.

Good luck,

Paul

Can anybody confirm that they really loose camber that fast?

That would put getting the used one in a different perspecitve, I mean don't know if it's worth getting that older deck with bindings ($300) or get 05/06 brand new (no bindings) for $450. Any advice?

negative, no camber loss on mine.

I'm sorry I don't have any personal experience I just remember talks on this topic on the extremecarving-forum. Go there and use the search function (Völkl) there you can read something about that.

Maybe it's only an issue with the pre-2000 boards.

It may also be that the one who complains ("tigger") only got better through the years and the board which was ok for him at the beginning seems now limp just because he himself became more aggressive.

On the other hand a friend of mine uses them Völkls for racing and is very fond of them.

Brian, so your the one that out bid me :angryfire The RTRS 183 is a fun, confidence inspiring board. I currently ride a later model and it has become my staple carver. Let me know what you think. Mine has seen better days so I am looking for a replacement (hint, hint)

Guest owaysys

Just bought an RT 183 from a friend in Michigan this year. I've only ridden it a couple of t imes, but I love it! I think the one I bought only has about 15 days on it, and it's race stock. super grabby board, tons of camber

Thx guys! I made up my mind, and I'm gonna go with brand new one, even though (as most of you say) the older models don't loose camber and they are great boards. I just figured I'll keep it for a while so for peace of mind I'm getting the new one :) Thanks for you input and oppinions :)

-matt

ps. man... I'd love to get my hands on the RTRS :)