Note to New Members ×

Throwing boards in roof rack

C-Carves

Very proud that I now have a few boards - two carving and one softie. :D Board bag now simply too big to throw in the car, so I got a nice roof rack... Says that it fits 2 snowboards side to side.

Wondering if anyone's had experience mounting several boards in roof racks. I'm envisioning throwing two boards together with their bases towards each other mounted next to the other board.

Concerns are obvious - high speed vibrations, edges digging into bases etc..

Also, anyone have a simple guideline as to things to do/not to do? I heard always a good idea to throw a cover over the nose of the board (assuming nose first loading) so that bugs don't get splattered all over the front end... So next question - do you load nose first? :confused:

If you mount them without the bindings on them, what's the chance of the boards slipping out and flying down the road without me?

A quick run down of experiences would be very appreciated.

Guest woodman

is how I mount 'em:D Now getting to the snowboards......I have stacked both my alpine boards base to base and transported that way (I've got 3 kids and my wifes gear to carry) I always leave my bindings on, to much work otherwise. I've never had any vibration problems, just watch out for loose leashes flying around.

Good carving,

Paul

I've had pretty much the same experience as woodman, stacking base to base has never caused a problem, even with a narrow alpine deck stacked with a wider freeride board.

You should make sure the toe clips aren't going to flop around and ding up the topsheet of your board (or roof of your car.) Not a problem with step-ins.

one thing to think about is your edges rusting from rain or road spray (especially if the roads are salted.) You might want to get a thin boardbag (like the bomber one) that will fit in the racks, and hose it down with scotchgaurd, to keep the spray off your boards.

Your boards will be secure (while driving) on the rack. I've had 4 boards on my Yak rack at "Federal Pound Me In The *** Prison" speeds with no problems except a bit of windnoise around 2x the speedlimit. :eek: The rack holds the boards firmly and they do not vibrate. Just remember to take off the boards when you get to your destination, as roof racks are common targets for theives.

Before you put the boards on the rack, I recommend you wrap a strip of ducttape around the toe clips and leashes of each to keep them from rattling and scratching your roof. I haven't had any problems with bugs or stones making any marks on my boards. If you are really concerned about dings on the noses from bugs or stones, make some stylish vinyl nose condoms from duct tape and cover the noses with those. Just make sure that it comes down past where the rack squishes the board, otherwise your handiwork may fly off in a crosswind.

Also, before you mount the rack, make sure that your paint is clean where the feet will sit. Any dirt under the feet has big potential to scratch or dull your paint.

When I surfed regularly I used to use a board sock to keep road crap off my board...nothing heavy just a simple drawstring top terrycloth sack that covers the board. I bought one for my snowboard a few weeks ago made by Quicksilver

Guest Randy S.

Duct Tape? Socks? Board Bags? Come on. If you are worried about road spray getting a little rust on the edges, take an old piece of wax and run it down the edge before putting it in the rack. Otherwise who cares. You can always wash a board off. If you just put a race tune and Cera F on your stick and you are driving to the WC, then put the thing inside where it belongs, otherwise don't waste time, just get to the hill and ride. :confused: :)