Note to New Members ×

Sugarloaf on Jan 15?

crazycanuck

I'm making the trip to Sugarloaf from eastern Canada on this coming thursday for some private lessons with Erik Beckman. I booked 2 hours with him in the am. This is my first year with the alpine board and there isn't anyone at the local ski hill that I can get advice/lessons from. Just wondering if any one else was going to be in the area for the day. I'm only going to be there for the day, it's a five hour drive each way, but I wouldn't mind meeting up with some others.

Guest jeffnstefanie

I will be there with the family for the week.

I hope it is not as cold as they say it is going to be.

I will be on my third day on a Nidecker 183.

If you see me laying on the snow a " hey are you OK " would be nice !

Good luck and I hope to see you there .

Jeff

Where do call home. I'm in NB , near Crabbe and Big Rock in Maine. Maybe we can hookup. Not that I can teach you because I'm new at alpine too. but there is a guy at crabbe that teachs.

leonard orser

506-375-8277

anyone else that wants to hook up somewhere within a few hours drive can contact me also

jeffnstefanie, i may move my trip up one day(wed), if they let me at the hill, its supposed to be warmer on wednesday, so I might try to be there then. I don't know how many alpine riders there are around, but I have a blue and grey north face jacket and a blue Prior 4WD. I'll be the fellow doing 'the norm' down Tote road, my name is Sean, I'll keep an eye out for you. Orser, I usually ski at Poley, I have a season pass, (i'm from saint john) but Crabbe isn't out of the way. A friend of mine from work lives in westfield and usually rides at crabbe, I'll get in touch with you in 2 weeks time maybe, I work shift so I'm available in the middle of the week.

If your plans are flexible, you should probably postpone this trip. Tomorrow's forecast calls for a high of -7F. Otherwise, bring your warmest gear possible, take frequent warm-up breaks, stay hydrated, and use toe/hand warmer packs. Don't be surprised if a lot of the upper lifts are on wind hold too.

Sugarloaf Weather Report

I was up at Killington this past weekend for the Karvefest and the sign at the Glades Triple said -18F on Sunday. Agreed, it was cold, BUT there were no lines and very few people on the slopes! Of course the trails around the Gondola were iced up by Noon, but ride the trails near chairlifts. We were carving turns, with no fear of sliding on ice, at 2pm -- this is usually unheard of at Killington (maybe the whole NE for that matter!).

Cover all skin -- break down and buy one of those queer skier neoprene face masks! I was wearing one of those with a Balaclava fleece thing, too. Toe warmers help. Take breaks.

Enjoy the open trails and no lines!

Jason

I'd really hate to postpone the trip, I had to convert the temps to celcius, -22 isn't too bad if its not windy. I spoke to someone at the hill and they said that I could take the lesson at a later date if its too cold, since I've already paid for it, I was just really looking forward to the trip. I'll make up my mind tomorrow.

Hey guys, I just got back from the Loaf tonight, a day early. If you want to ride, do not move your trip up a few days - it looks like the lifts will be closed until thursday, maybe friday. They were closed today due to winds, and tomorrow (wed) is supposed to be colder and much more windy, with 45-65mph winds at the top.

Conditions were awesome on Monday though. Got to rip on the GS board in the morning and then switched to the 153 F2 in the afternoon. If any of you guys saw someone ripping some tiny radius carves under the lifts, that was me :)