Note to New Members ×

Anyone Else teach (AASI)

Raisputin

I guess I just find it funny in a way how AASI has evolved... I mean, they first broke off from PSIA because PSIA was keeping snowboarding too structured... wanted a certain type of rider riding a certain way.... and now they do the same thing!

Bingo!

It's funny that this post resurfaced this week, just two days ago I was asked if I'd mind teaching in softies this season. My response was, I'm buying skis and getting certified to instruct skiing. When AASI formed I reached level 2 in hardboots and was never discouraged from going for my level 3. I ended up not teaching for about 8 years, and had to retest for my level 1 last year. It was made quite clear to me last season that although I am accepted, there is no way that I could ever hope to pass a level 3 with hardboots and a forward stance. Funny that the Y model is still taught to instructors, but not supported.

Funny that the Y model is still taught to instructors, but not supported.

Going for your level III in hardboots is making an already very difficult exam harder. Not impossible by any stretch but you would need to be comfortable teaching a group composed mostly of high level softboot riders anything anywhere on the mountain. That could mean aggressive carving as easily as it could mean boardslides on a flat-down box.

To be able to do that, you have to be a very versatile rider and teacher. To be successful, it helps to be on a very versatile setup which I think most people would agree isn't hardboots, forward angles, and freecarve board.

Also, say you drew bumps for teaching. Now you have to figure out a move you do in the bumps in hardboots that applies to the softbooted riders in your group and teach to that.

If you aren't interested in any of that, then don't go for certification. Getting Level III certified is kind of pointless unless you are trying to make a career out of instruction anyway.

Some people can do it and make it look easy, others struggle.... I've been fortunate enough to ride with some people over the years who could do just about anything on hard boots that others were doing on soft. I envy those people, but I also know that I'm not one of those naturally athletic people who can make anything look easy.

Also, say you drew bumps for teaching. Now you have to figure out a move you do in the bumps in hardboots that applies to the softbooted riders in your group and teach to that.

If you aren't interested in any of that, then don't go for certification. Getting Level III certified is kind of pointless unless you are trying to make a career out of instruction anyway.

Just a move? What about a tactic? Or terrain selection within the bumps or timing or retraction movements and when?

There are tons of things to be taught in the bumps besides movements.

I have been able to give a lot of softie guys movements to work with in the bumps.

As a former clinician and examiner I always counseled my peeps to go for what you can learn not for what you get at the end. The best part of level 3 should be what you learn during the 'exam'.

The reason I am a former is that I don't want to leave the ground anymore. I feel no need to go in the pipe or the terrain park. That is a young mans game.

So with 23 years of riding and over 17 years of teaching, I am done with the mandatory air and terrain aspects of AASI. And I can still teach circles around most the instructors I have run into. Bragging? I hope it doesn't sound that way, but I have had to solve many, many problems and have that experience to help me out. I still get referrals from other ( soft boot even ) instructors when they have a problem they can't address or are lost with.

FWIW.

Bragging? I hope it doesn't sound that way, but I have had to solve many, many problems and have that experience to help me out. I still get referrals from other ( soft boot even ) instructors when they have a problem they can't address or are lost with.

FWIW.

Brag all you want! you deserve it! Any chance you make it up to Montana this year? How about join us at Whitefish or Schweitzer???? I know you aren't to far from me.... maybe I need to pack up the ole car and start driving south.... I wonder what Rt 93 is like in the winter!

I can only comment from my experience- I was in Phil's Level III group and he stomped it. He's being humble- actually did switch rails. Easy rails, but damn bro!!! It's not the equipment, it's rider.

As an AASI examiner and the examiner coach for the eastern division, I would never tell anyone to ditch equipment and I would encourage all our ed staf members to be inclusive. I'd like to think I welcome the challenge helping all riders (me included) perform at a higher level. I coach hardbooters in GS and SL for Killington Mountain School and will even be on my setup weekly this season for the first time in years...

I'm super impressed by alpine girl's and phil's comments, and find them to be dead on. AASI (at least the eastern division) tries to respond to demand from our guests and from the industry. Mostly that demand is for freestyle. If it swings back to hardbooting, we'll respond accordingly!

Just try not to judge us all (AASI) by some of the less open minded dudes.

Thanks, KC

The current Pres. is Eric Sheckleton...a former (and perhaps current?) hardbooter that rides out of Montana. I'm sure he'll be saddened to hear about your experience. If you wouldn't mind, shoot me an email with the details and I can pass it on, as well as use at eastern examiner training this season to help remind the crew that we're supposed to be serving the members!

kgandee@killingtonmountainschool.org

-KC

The current Pres. is Eric Sheckleton...a former (and perhaps current?) hardbooter that rides out of Montana. I'm sure he'll be saddened to hear about your experience. If you wouldn't mind, shoot me an email with the details and I can pass it on, as well as use at eastern examiner training this season to help remind the crew that we're supposed to be serving the members!

kgandee@killingtonmountainschool.org

-KC

Is schneck the Pres of AASI? Super good guy. I saw briefly at Spring symposium a few years ago. We passed Level 2 together at Whitefish in ohhhhhh......94 or 95. Too many powder days under the bridge.

yeah, I've actually met Eric.... and sad to say, I'm in Montana too.... big state with sparse population, so PSIA / AASI doesn't have nearly the opportunities here as in the east.... oh well... came out west for bigger mountains and more snow... not for AASI training! I probably shouldn't have started any of this... but well...

Carvedog, come ride with us????? do you even get any chance to get away during the winter?????

I met Eric when he was snow school director at Blacktail Mt for a couple years when they first opened in '99. Becki instructed there for 5 seasons and says Eric was the best director she'd ever worked for.

I never fit in psia or aasi; Both Eric and Randy Price tried to talk me out of using poles in '01 when we rode together (way to handy to give up) but never tried to talk me out of hardboots on freeride boards.

The industry caters to skaters not alpinists.

Oh well, plastic boots and bomb proof stepins work pretty well for me, 1 plank or 2 I'll never give'em up.

I've carried my daughter's poles for her on several occasions (she always seemed to THINK she needed them and then didn't want them!) and sure do see benefits.... but once again, I think AASI is going to cater to one kind of crowd... there is so much more out there. Years ago I worked with the Children's director since she really wanted to try snowboarding, but was REALLY scared of getting hurt (this was mid 90s). She had back surgery and her doctor was NOT thrilled at all with the idea of getting her on a board. Since she was a skier, we took her poles to help her get her balance. She already knew how to keep them out of the way from her skiing experience. It helped a lot on both heel side slips and toe side slips... especially heel! I don't think she got out enough times that year to make huge progress but it was VERY important for her to take it slow and stay safe. Poles helped!

I find it kind of amusing how PSIA has a separate "accreditation" for Park / Pipe.... but doesn't require it in any of the Cert Levels.... maybe one day AASI can follow suit and recognize that not everyone on a board has the desire to slide a rail or hang in the park! I know I sure don't!