Note to New Members ×

Intec heel movement

skategoat

Guys with Intecs:

Can you check your binding/heel interface and tell me; does the Intec pin hold your heel solid or is there some slop? I backed off the toe bails and I notice quite a bit of movement in the heel. If I crank down the toe bail, then the heel is reasonably secure but there is still a little bit of movement. Seems like an invitation for wear and eventual failure.

BTW, this is a brand new F2 Titanium binding and Intec heels.

I don't want to ignite another step-in vs. standard bail debate so let's leave that topic alone.

Henry

There should really be little to no slop in the heel when setup properly. I have some heels that when out of the binding have a small amount of movement in the pins but when I am steped in, there is no movement. The ramp as well as the pins are used to distrubute the weight.

There has been some talk on the board here about looseness in the binding on pupose but I think that is playing with fire. Do so at your own risk.

->Ben

a tiny bit of play with both the TD1 and TD2, I think its in the intec heel its self, you are probably fine.

I see two factors here just a tiny bit of slop in the heel and that the toe pad on your boot is soft.

if you have allot of rock you might wantto see if you can tighten them down more.

Henry,

I made this same observation when I first set up my Raichle X-Bone (intec) bindings. I found that I really had to crank the toe bail tight to minimize the "slop". This really does put the pins pretty far aft of the heel-receiver holes when you line up your heel just prior to engaging it. I've ridden a couple of days on this binding so far this season with no problem, but getting it set up was a little tedious and it did make me a little nervous. They are pretty tight, but there is still a tiny bit of movement. I couldn't go any tighter with the toe bail because I wouldn't be able to engage the heel :eek:

When I set up my TD2 intecs, it was easier, no/very minimal slop and I feel better about them overall. The Raichle X-Bones are sort of a back up and freeride binding (for $99 bucks - felt it was worth it), but really prefer the stability, response, and simplicity of the TDs.

Why the issue? The holes in the heel receiver (Raichle) seem to be a bit larger elipse that those in the TD2 heel receiver. More slop - that's what I'm observing anyway.

I have no noticeable slop in the intec connection at all. I just stepped in in my living room and tried to move my heels around and the pins didn't shift at all.

Me too.

Henry, I don't think it's a good idea to allow any movements. My TD1, TD2 and X-bone do not allow any slop at all.

but bob...should the binding be set so tight that the pins are actually against the _back_ of the hole?

because...if you set them where they slide in properly...to where they engage "centered" in the receiving hole...there's a bit o' play then...

is the idea to "pinch" the boot between the toe bail and back of the intec receiver?