Note to New Members ×

Bootfitter in WI

johnstewart

Thinking about some new boots. I've done the Thermoform thing myself at home, with decent but mixed results.

If I buy online, I'd like to go to a good bootfitter to have them fitted by an expert.

Can anyone make recommendations for someone in Madison, WI? Or near(ish)... Milwaukee? Heck, I'd even go to Chicago, I guess, if I'm shelling out a few hundered for good boots.

Hi John, not sure where you could get your boots fitted, but I was wondering if you do the race circuit thats out at Tyrol. I haven't raced for a long time, and it was a short career when I did race. I was just wondering how the participation in the races are. How many racers? Just general info. I've been seriously considering heading out for a race, but I just need a good kick in the butt to do so. I ride at Sunburst, I may have met you there but I don't remember. It would be great to head out to Tyrol sometime too, I never have ridden there. Jon

Which race circuit? USASA? I've never done one of those races, but I might give them a whirl this year. Thing is, they only seem to have one alpine race on the Tyrol schedule... all the rest is boardercross and then the slopestyle and crap.

I do come out every Sunday I can for public NASTAR; there are a number of hardbooters who do, too (some from our team, Dead Sexy).

There is also a Monday night adult race league which is a lot of fun. Two runs down a NASTAR course, and then the best 6 people from your team get points towards your team score for the night. You're probably a little far away for that, huh? Most on Monday night are skiiers, but there is one other snowboard team usually to compete against.

The guy that did mine (I forgot his name) was at Les Moise's in Whitefish Bay. It's probably about a 2hr drive from Madison. If I heard his name I'd know it :smashfrea. He's skier now but used to ride plates out west and worked at a shop out there. Not sure if he's still working there but up in Appleton, WI Pete Coons at Wheel and Sprockets does a GREAT job for ski boots. I'm guessing it's probably pretty similar.

Les Moise in Milwaukee(whitefish Bay) is the only place I know of that has a decent bootfitter. They work mostly with skiers there, but the principles on inside fit are pretty much the same.

For all of you who asked about the racing, there is a USASA series at Tyrol There is always slalom and GS on the Sun of a com p weekend. It has decent participation, but a lot of the better racers don't compete unless they know they are going to drop the $$ top go to nationals that particular year. The reason being, it costs about $40 everytime for USASA, and the NAstar on Sundays is $10 for unlimited runs. Also, the MOnday night adult race league is a whole lot more fun and we might try to go as a team to NASTAR nationals one of these years.

If any of you want to ride drop me an e-mail when you're coming out. I've been an instructor at Tyrol for 14 years now, and love to ride with a large group of platers. Also, team captain of DeadSexy Snowboard team, which is our Monday night team, and we still have 2 spots open for this year. You can find the info on the league here

http://www.tyrolbasin.com/race/adultrace.html

There is also talk of running slalom practice one to two times a week independantly of any leagues or competitions, but that is not a sure thing yet.

As far as boot fitters go, Steve Baughman, the guy that doest the bootfitting at william's ski Haus in Highland Park is the best as far as i know. He has done sevral apline snowboard-specific thermoflex jobs, including mine. If you have any issues with your boots, pressure points, etc., he can and will hook you up so that your feet are extra comfy while you're trenchin'.

I also ride the USASA series at Tyrol regulary. It's a great place to convein with all the carvers in the area even if you arent competing. The cost of USASA can be a bit prohibitive, but if you intend on going to nationals (totally recomended, a guarenteed awesome time), then it is definately worth the cost.

Hey John. This is Darrin Kolka, the guy you were riding with last week. I finally got my boots fitted & went to Mountain Bay in Appleton. I used to work there a few years ago & I did a pretty good job myself. There is a guy named Todd Loessel who is an expert & can do custom footbeds for you or boot streching if needed. They also do lots of work with custom molded liners, shims & heel lifts if needed.

You should all race the Tyrol USASA series because it will make it more fun for us that do race it. More competition is better, even if you aren't planning on going to Nationals.

Ride on.............

You should all race the Tyrol USASA series because it will make it more fun for us that do race it. More competition is better, even if you aren't planning on going to Nationals.

Definitely mulling it over.

Looking here, though:

http://tyrolbasin.com/events/calendar.html

1/14 Boardercross

1/21 Halfpipe

1/22 Slopestyle + S/GS

1/28 Halfpipe

1/29 Slopestyle + S/GS

2/11 Boardercross

2/18 Halfpipe

2/19 Slopestyle + S/GS

So it's really only the G/GS races I'm interested in. I'll perhaps try the boardercross, but I have a definite aversion to airtime, so I'm sure I won't win anything there unless everyone else crashes and I skate through the mayhem.

It's $60 for USASA, plus $15 per event. I dunno... really seems pretty steep compared to NASTAR, where I can (and have) qualify for nationals with a $7 entry fee.

As far as boot fitters go, Steve Baughman, the guy that doest the bootfitting at william's ski Haus in Highland Park is the best as far as i know. He has done sevral apline snowboard-specific thermoflex jobs, including mine. If you have any issues with your boots, pressure points, etc., he can and will hook you up so that your feet are extra comfy while you're trenchin'.

I also ride the USASA series at Tyrol regulary. It's a great place to convein with all the carvers in the area even if you arent competing. The cost of USASA can be a bit prohibitive, but if you intend on going to nationals (totally recomended, a guarenteed awesome time), then it is definately worth the cost.

I live 3 minutes awway from williams ski shop and i am peart of snowflake club. Steve cant fit boots if his life depended on it. He messed up my brothers ski boots and a family friends.