Note to New Members ×

Epic moments is sliding history

Sean

Riding with my jibber nephew about 6 years ago at Diamond Peak in Tahoe. My nephew is good and doing stunts all over the place. Not to be shown up by the young gun, I decided to get a little yippy myself. I had on my soft set up so I decided to hit one of the small rails near the bottom of the hill on full view of the lifts where the trails merge. Had decent speed and hopped up on the rail only to discover just how slippery the buggers can be. You guessed it..... the board is above my head in a blink and the next sound was the dull thud of my melon ( in a helmet thank god) hitting the hardpack :freak3: . Saw a few stars and heard lots of yuks from my family and the chair. I keep the board on the snow now. Rails are for the young and flexible. ;)

We were doing Sweep at the end of the day and someone goes early to rope off the slopes below a certain cat track, then we go after and sweep the lower areas. I was busting along this blue cruiser and having a good time untill I remember that there is a rope across this run. It was too late, I was only one turn before the rope, so I layed one out. It scared the ****e out of me and I was shaking when I got back to the chair. It seems all the other patrollers were watching it from the bottom and were biting nails wondering if I remembered there was a rope there. When they saw me carve under the rope, they broke out into a cheer :D

Then there was the time we were going to burn all the ski racks at a year end party because we were going to build new ones. I drank quite a bit by then and decided that the fire wasnt going the way It should. I went and got the gas can to throw some on the fire. As I sloshed the can, it slipped out of my hands into the fire. We all ran like maniacs! It caught fire but only in one whoomp then slowly burned. I was told because the can was full, there wasnt much vapour so it didnt explode. Scarry but funny too.

Liking this thread, so here is another blast from the past:

Again, teaching a ski lesson at Eldora back in the 80's. Get assigned an afternoon private with an older fellow who just got off the plane from NYC that morning and wants to cram in some skiiing before he gets to business. He is 5 foot nothing and resembles a fireplug- not in the best of shape. He lights up a cigar on the lift ride up, and when I suggest that's not such a wise move, proceeds to lecture me on how he was a Golden Gloves champ, street fighter, general stud...probably back when Jack Dempsey was fighting...Anyhoo, get off the lift at the top of the hill which is way high up altitude wise, at least for him. Next thing I know, his eyes roll into the back of his head and he is down for the count. Best part of the story- ski patroller was sitting in the shack at the top of the lift, sipping coffee, gazing mindlessly out the big plexiglass window facing the lift. Saw the guy get off the lift with me, took a sip of coffee, then only saw me. Needless to say, Mr Golden Gloves champ got the toboggan ride back down the hill.

Airline ticket: $500 RT

Lift ticket: $30

Private Lesson: $50

Yuck factor: Priceless

:o