Note to New Members ×

Advice needed on super hard wax...

NMU Alpine Boarder

Every year, we seem to have at least 1 race where the air temp will not get above 0*F and the snow temp is in the -10*F to -20*F range. I've tried SWIX CH3, and haven't been wowed by it. THe board still felt like it was sliding on sandpaper. I am looking for any possible alternatives... Anyone tried START GREEN?

but snow is still not gonna be fast below zero, I am told that static can become a issue as well at low temps.

the cold weather hardener seems to help, for me the best luck was with the swix graphite cold with a nice dose of the hardener powder.

the coldest swix(green I think) works too but for some reason does not seem as fast

Guest Ghostrider

Oh what the heck..I'm not racing you anymore..I'll give you some tips :D

I was at searchmont for a race... -44 F... yea thats negative fourty-four degrees farenheit. A Swix CH 3 and some arctic hardener that went down to -30 worked in the sun. no such luck in the shade.

I find that the colder it is, the cheaper the wax you should use. an HF or even LF is useless...the F part of that is used to repel the water but there is no water that cold which is why you stick. If you cant make a snowball, you shouldnt have LF, HF, BD or Cera F.

For a good REALLY cold weather mix, start with a 4 or 6 and then get some kind of hardener to put on it. My hardener is something cheap made by Red (Burton) for edge burn.

The static comment is totally true. Graphite is key. If not for static then at least to keep the ice from burning your base.

The part that sucks about these cold weather tactics is the pain in the a$$ that comes with applying and then trying to get it off again. I have exploded 2 irons trying to get them hot enough to melt hardener. Then once youve got it on...it stays on. It WILL NOT scrape or brush off!!! After many hours of scraping and brushing and hot scraping, I decided to just get a base grind and they had to pass it 3 times to get it all off.

If you wanted a comprehensive swix shopping list to get you through a michigan season, I'd get this:

-Base burn protector (hardener..aka CH3)

-CH4 (green) -26-14F

-LF6 (blue) 10-21F (or LF but you probably wont notice much difference)

-HFCombi Pack

That would give you every possible race condition for about $100. But definately nothing wrong with going with the cheap stuff. A good application technique and using the right mixes of different temperature waxes will definately help you out....even if your board isnt on the snow like at last years regionals. Hope you liked that course...I hope to keep it equally as fun this year since I just get to watch now :eplus2:

Good luck this season!