Note to New Members ×

a little help

griff

I read how to set up your bindings and discoved that my board (Volkl RT SL 163) that the mounting patter is 3" back from center. Can this be right? My understanding is center to 1" back is the correct set up. Y/N? Also is 19.5 for 5'10" a good stance? I was thinking of going a little narrower. Any insite would be helpful.

I have this same board. You are referring to the setback of the mounting holes (According to Volkl is 3cm, not inches.). Not to worry!

For your initial setup, set your front and rear plates on the holes furthest back. Be sure to use a stance width/angles/etc that is comfortable for you. Always use either the rear set of holes, or the front set, do not mix them. When I got my first Volkl RT, I set my front and rear plates on the narrowest possible stance: Front foot on rearmost holes, and rear foot on forward set of holes. This was wrong, and it was very difficult to get 'centered' on the board.

Depending on your riding style, this may or may not work out for you. It worked out for me because it forced me to "get forward" and weight the board properly for good carving. Psychologically, it helped me to 'attack' the tougher slopes. The front set of holes was too far forward for me, and felt very awkward. With the front set, I had to shift my weight back (And screw up my form), and I felt as though I was constantly about to fold the nose.

Hopefully that helps!

I forgot to answer your second question on stance width... I'm 5'7", and my stance width is ~18 inches measured from the center of both plates. That puts my feet roughly shoulder-width apart.

I cannot wait to hear your reaction once you start to carve the RT; I love mine! :1luvu:

It is a rather dynamic board that enjoys to be driven, and loves to explode from one carve to the next. Build up the kinetic energy from one turn to the next and let her rip!!! For some real fun, 'leg-press' against the board as you progress through each carve! :biggthump

Oh, and keep those elbows tucked near your sides, and your arms forward as though your are carrying a lunch tray.

I should forget the center of the running length and make sure that mounting that I use the same balance point set up on the board just make sure that I am using the forward or rear hole pattern with my stance which is about that 19.5 ish. Y/N What is thowing me off is what I read about that center of the running lenght and going center or 1" back. does that make sense that volkl has the pattern 3" back from the center of the running length? If this is confusing it is to me.

I guess I am not seeing what you guys are telling me. here is what I have.

contact length is 147.5 cm

center is 73.75

front first holes are 16cm

rear first holes are 24cm

Please tell me where I am missing how to set up my bindings?

Thanks again

very confused.

From the Volkl web site: All measurements in mm.

Cont.-length...............1445

Length Nose...............140

Length Tail.................45

Height Nose................36

Height Tail..................5

Width Nose.................255

Width Waist................195

Width Tail...................250

Ins.quantity................16

Ins.Setback.................30

Stance (in cm) min........41

Stance (in cm) med.......49

Stance (in cm) max.......57

Radius (in m)................9.15

I think I see where some confusion might be. My RT only had 12 holes, not 16 mounting holes. No matter. With the 16 hole mounting pattern, mount the plates on the center set of holes, fore and aft. (That should position you just right.)

IE- here is the hole pattern ( :::: :::: ] Mount the plates like this ( :O: :O: ] Then 'micro' adjust for stance width. Try it out for a couple runs and if it doesn't feel comfortable for your style, try using the rear set of holes. As a last resort, I would try the front holes.

I will be at Stratton this weekend if you want some help with your setup.

My board only has 12 holes (::: :::} this is where things are not matching up at all. What I did is took the center of the board my stance is 48cm moved the center of my stance at 24 and moved it back 3cm as my set up. This should work Y/N?

My board only has 12 holes (::: :::} this is where things are not matching up at all. What I did is took the center of the board my stance is 48cm moved the center of my stance at 24 and moved it back 3cm as my set up. This should work Y/N?

I don't quite understand what you are saying here ... BUT ... if you are saying you are centering your stance 3cm back from center, that will be good for a starting point. I don't remember if Volkl puts the offset at the centerholes or not; if they do, you will be slightly back from that 3cm offset.

For initial setup, I don't worry too much about numbers. The real results happen on the snow with how the board feels, and it usually takes me a few runs to dial it in proper.

Guest dragonsword5

I'm following this advice too :biggthump

My dad and I are setting up my Volkl RT 163 also with Catek OS2 plates. Drove my dad nuts setting them up :AR15firin And I'll see how the setup is comfortable.

Can't wait to try this board out! Have fun with yours!

I don't understand this either. But a good manufacturer puts the inserts around where they think the proper centre point should be, and that should be your starting point. Centre your stance around the centre between the insert packs.

I don't understand this either. But a good manufacturer puts the inserts around where they think the proper centre point should be, and that should be your starting point. Centre your stance around the centre between the insert packs.

+1 Agreed! :)

when you say +1 or +2 what is it you mean? 1 to 2 inches front of center or back from center? of the contact length of the board.

+1 or +2 in this thread refers to agreement to the previous post, and has nothing to do with setting up the board.