Note to New Members ×

Grrrr. And Yay!

tufty

Well, I just had 2 enormous contracts for interesting IT work drop from the heavens, and as a result I have no time to be able to go and work on the slopes this year. It's hard to describe, but in 20 years of working I have never had a job that I have wanted to go to every day except working on the pistes. It's been like family. And so, instead of dancing around because I get to do all sorts of very groovy and cutting edge tech stuff, and earn enough money to be able to take some time off next year and finish my house, I'm moping about like a kid who's had his bike nicked. Bah.

But on the upside, I get to go boarding and skiing as and when I want. No need to wait for days off and hope they coincide with good snow.

I don't know what to think.

Simon

So for somebody still in college would you recommend....

1: After graduation become a snow bum for several years, follow the winters (ie go south of the equator in summer) with the risk that I may never step out of snow bumming and get a "real" job

2: get a job as a means to an end. IE one that pays enough to go skiing and snowboarding but may not have as flexible days for powder and midweek skiing and carving.

Guest Randy S.

Puppy,

Take it from one who has done it. You absolutely should be a ski bum for a year or three. Do it before you get a real job and real responsibilities. It was the best choice I ever made. Someone who was (then) my current age gave me the same advice and its some of the best advice I've ever had. Once you get a real job, spouse, kids, car, etc., it is very difficult to cut out for a year to goof off. Do it NOW (well, finish college first).

I was a bum in France and really enjoyed it. There are plenty of places in the US that would be good also. If you speak French or German, consider France or Austria as you'll actually learn some language skills at the same time. Other than Chile, there are no resorts where you can exercise your spanish.

Oh, and go to a real destination resort. Not some BS place in New England where people do day trips. You'll have better skiing and meet more people at a place that's a destination resort where folks stick around for a week or two (plus you'll meet more cool tourist guys).

carefully consider health insurance. some companies will allow you to remain on your parents' insurance until you're 26, in which case you can count on having a good 4 years to be a bum if you work things out well. and if you want to avoid a "real job" and find summer to be a difficult season to survive as a bum, consider landscaping. work like crazy during the off season and have total freedom every winter. it's good hard physical labor that enables you to perfect your farmer's tan!

but again, never assume that just because you have a healthy lifestyle that you won't have any health related problems.

Guest toddflyingdog

I am a 28 year old returned student at Colorado Mountain College.

I am working on my degree in Ski Area Operations and loving studying about things like Terrain Park design, and trail grooming.

Maybe you don't have to choose between career and riding?

:biggthump to taking some time off - I didn't and now I'm stuck in the kids-work-car-house grind. Aargh... I even live in the suburbs!!!

On the upside, though: by the time I'm 45 my kids will pe packed off to college and I'll have started my early retirement - location still to be determined but proximity to good snow will be the deciding factor.