Note to New Members ×

New Idea for Stomp Pad

Guest Randy S.

Guest Randy S.

A couple years ago I stopped putting stomp pads on my boards. It happened when I took a couple of boards to a shop for tuning. Their grinder got hung up on the stomp pads. One time the board ended up shooting out of the grinder and making a hole in the wall (good thing the tuner dude wasn't standing there). It also damaged the board a bit, but they fixed it. The other time a board clearly got stuck there because it got ground down more in that one spot (you can tell on the bottom). So now my boards don't have stomp pads.

However, I find it frustrating at times when I get off the lift and my foot slips since I have nothing to grip on the board. Recently I put some of this 3M Grip Tape stuff on some stairs and when I noticed it says on the roll that its good for indoors or out, I thought it might make a good stomp pad. Anyone else have an opinion on this subject? Or other solutions you've come up with that don't interfere with stone grinders?

BTW, I don't use that shop for tuning any more, but I still worry about this.

Here's the stuff I'm talking about:

EJ042444.jpg

only thing is grip tape loses "gription" when wet, AND would likely grab snow pretty badly

you know what I was just thinking?

this is gonna sound stupid, but...what about using velcro to attach your stomp pad?

:flamethro

I know..it sounds lame, but...even just two or three strips across the entire pad would hold it in place, NO problem. not sure if youd want the hook or loop side on the board as I cant think which is higher, but...I honestly think it would work pretty well.

maybe I'ma try it

Randy forget the tape get Volkl boards :) hehe... I think they all have that "grip-lacquer". I've got a PULSE (fr board) and it works just great. I've seen it on RT, but never riden it though, but it looks like it would do it's job :) The only bad thing is that you're bit lower with one foot than the one in the binding... it fees weird on the beginning... but I guess that's the same thing if you put the 3M tape. Anyway I love the idea of not puting the stomp pads on my boards ....... I don't know I just hate the way it looks :)

cheers

-matt

my boots (stratos pro) have put scratches on my donek topsheet. is a stomp pad the only solution? (i dont want one)

3M makes this clear vinyl used to protect the paint finishes of automobiles. Its called Scotchgard<!-- -->™ Paint Protection Film. I just used it on my new truck roof where the landing pads fall for my yakima rack. It's slick as snot, easy to use and you can't even tell it's on the vehicle. :D

Randy - I have on my boards what you are looking for. The problem may be in getting more of them. I was able to buy a few last season and at the time I was asked how many boxes did I want? I like these as they do no interfere when packing for travel or need to be removed when its time to have a base grind.

Labeled as "clear stomp pad . . . transparent traction". Cliff Ahumada turned me on to these. These were sold by Test-Pilot www.testpilotgear.com and they are not shown on their web site. I sent an e-mail late yesterday and if I do not get a reply today I will give them a call and post up their reply.

Otherwise, you may have to consider some rubber ducky "no-slip" bath tub appliques http://www.alwaysbrilliant.com/aa/aspx-productpage/pid-641/dt-20051203/dpc-19/pd-42417/Tub/&/bb/Tub_&_Tile_Appliques.htm

Otherwise, you may have to consider some rubber ducky "no-slip" bath tub appliques http://www.alwaysbrilliant.com/aa/aspx-productpage/pid-641/dt-20051203/dpc-19/pd-42417/Tub/&/bb/Tub_&_Tile_Appliques.htm

I'm not sure how well they will hold up under icy conditions, after all they are built for >0c, but there is something in me that really like the idea of having cute ducks or paws on an agressively ridden carving board.

Hell, I'm almost tempted to cover my boots with pink fun fur and my boards with hello kitty stickers, just for the hell of it[1] :-)

Simon

[1] Note : "almost"

The 3M film I mentioned above :lol: was for board protection only due to scratches. It actually does provide some friction on top of the paint finish, so I bet you could use it for a stomp pad if you wanted. When I mentioned it was slick as snot, I meant its easy to apply and you can't mess up. You wet your hands and the surface, peel the back off and wet down the sticky surface. Then you apply and squeege out the water, and wahla.

The 3M film I mentioned above :lol: was for board protection only due to scratches. It actually does provide some friction on top of the paint finish, so I bet you could use it for a stomp pad if you wanted. When I mentioned it was slick as snot, I meant its easy to apply and you can't mess up. You wet your hands and the surface, peel the back off and wet down the sticky surface. Then you apply and squeege out the water, and wahla.

can i get this stuff off if i dont like it? would you consider applying it to the full length of the board?

I don't get it. OK for protection of the board (protection film sounds great btw), but aren't stomp pads for newbies with softboots?

Edit: Why would you like to put something on your board that works like sandpaper on your precious Intec heels and clothes?

Skwalleur: I'm assuming you are asking because you are genuinely curious, and not because you are a smug jackass:

Hard boots usually have heels that do not grip the board as well as softboots when getting off the lift. Stomp pads make it easier, period.

It is also more critical to get the snow clumps off the heel when using plate bindings (especially step-ins), compared to strap bindings, and some stomp pads work better than bindings for this. They are for anyone who wants these benefits.

:rolleyes:

I've never been able to master getting off the lift with all my weight on the front leg. I know a lot of people can do it, but there are a bunch of us that can't do it too well, and need the stomp pad. I can do it if I have to, but sharp turns would be tough. Part of it might be that my boot cuffs are not very tight, and there is too much slop in the front foot.

In CO we need stomp pads to actually get the snow off of the bottoms of out boots! :boxing_sm

Sorry, had to say it. :D

Their grinder got hung up on the stomp pads. One time the board ended up shooting out of the grinder and making a hole in the wall...

On the machines I have used (Grind-Rite and Montana) I have always held on to the board to ensure that it feeds properly and smoothly. I have never had an issue using my method. When I was tuning, I would run 10 to 20 boards per day (plus a crap-load of skis). Co-workers had also done the same thing, never an issue.

IMO, the person that tuned your board and let it shoot through the machine was a moron! Always hold onto the board, switch from holding the tail to the nose as the board feeds through. And no, I was never in jeopardy of getting a hand caught in the machine or gringing my fingers off!

that was with stomp pads attached, D.T? even the new ones with spikes and all that?

I guess no one liked my velcro idea :(

Yes, I currently run the Dakine Spike stomp pads. They have great traction and clean the bottom of the boot in one swipe. The true bar has shown that any unevenness (sp?) related to grinding with stomp pads is minimal to non-existent.

Then again, when I grind, I prefer to use light downward pressure, with a moderate feed speed. I have seen some idiots running 80lbs at the maximum feed speed. Good way to take out half of the board life in one pass and shoot it across the room if it gets caught up!

I have considered the stomp use recently, but never have used in 20+ years of riding. But an Idea came to mind this week. This wouldnt work for those of us that use the rear front binding holes or the front rear binding holes ( the ones towards the center of the board)

Get a piece of sheet metal or possible road sign type material and cut a piece to what size you like , but allow enough to drill holes that line up with binding holes (front or back) to be able to attach with regular binding screws. Bend over the sharp edges and pound flat with a hammer or gring smooth and then place one of the foam type stomp pads on the bottom of the metal, especially at edges to eliminate scratching during board flex( this may need periodically changed as it wears) and then place whatever type of stomp pad you want on top.

This makes it removable using the binding screws.

I havent tried it and it may not work for all applications, but just an idea.

can i get this stuff off if i dont like it? would you consider applying it to the full length of the board?

From the directions on the back of the package that I purchased, you can take it off pretty easy. They say it should be replaced yearly, not sure maybe this is a marketing campaign. As for a piece the full length of the board, I am sure you can, I just don't know where. They use this stuff to put on the front of your vehicle and on the bottom portion of your doors to protect the paint finish. I just bought a new Donek 175 and I'm going to give it a shot.

I dont think I have had my back foot on my board in the past 3 years. . . . maybe once. Getting off the lift I always hold it off to the side. My wife has already picked this up.

The last time I needed to do this it was on a 40+foot (vert) exit ramp from an old chairlift at Bristol in upstate new york. Give it a little time and put some effort into it and you will not need the stomp pad. practice. . . do a green run with one foot.

~tb