Note to New Members ×

car top snowboard box

Guest north east will

Guest north east will

problem: until this point i have always carried my snowboard inside my car. my 164 barely fits in the back seat of my 2 door subaru. when i pick up a carving board this year it will be around 177. i dont really like the idea of just throwing my board on a roof rack even if it is in a bag.

my crazy idea: make a fiberclass box that is somewhat contoured to the shape of a snowboard. this would open on hinges like a clamshell. my idea is that my carving board would sit bottom side up and my free ride board would sit on top of that. what do you all think?

how tall are TD2s?

will

As for a car top box I would get a PackSport now owned by Yakima. Fiberglass / different sizes / a lot of money but worth it

As for the TD2's read this:

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65

It will just pi..... you off because you will now have to spend even more of your hard earned cash.

Guest north east will

i couldnt find the packsport model

my idea would be smaller than any of the yakima boxes i saw and a lot cheaper

does anyone know how tall the td2s are? i need to know to plan the box

will

Guest Randy S.

Build vs. Buy?

Why build something like this when you can buy one for not a ton of money (look for a used one if you are poor). I don't get it. There are so many cool features in the ones out there. Like mine opens from either side, plus it has a carbon-fiber look to it. They come with all the mounting hardware and are simple to use. I don't see the interest in building this thing from scratch.

I would think that an internal height of 5 inches will clear one snowboard. However, aren't you sometimes going to want to put other stuff, or more boards in there. Mine varies from 6-12 inches of internal height. I can put 3-4 boards, 2-3 pair skis, plus other stuff up there. It is awesome. Just don't put your boots up there if you plan to wear them when you arrive at the hill. They'll be frozen stiff.

Guest north east will

thanks for the specs bob

the reason i want to build it its because building stuff is cool. also i can make it much thinner if i build it just to hold what i want to hold.

will

Originally posted by north east will

thanks for the specs bob

the reason i want to build it its because building stuff is cool. also i can make it much thinner if i build it just to hold what i want to hold.

will

I agree building stuff is cool... paint it and don't forget to add flames to the front. Post a picture of it when you are done.

Are you going to build the molds yourself and have you done this fiberglas stuff before?

Guest north east will

i had some sites bookmarked but not on this computer...ill try to dig some up. try searching for fiberglass and subwoofer. a lot of the info out there is on car audio sites