Note to New Members ×

....The Paypal experience.

markp

Henry;

Paypal will let you "charge" your credit card and get used to the convience.....for awhile. Then out of the blue they will require you to "...get verified" which their very clever euphemism for direct access to your bank account. Even with perfect payment they will change on you. It was after $2,500 in agragate purchases. I don't know where ther hidden little policy is now. It was even on TV that one source of identity theft was from Paypal among other websites on their "watchlist". :eplus2:

I wonder if there are other bretherin here that have had "the Paypal experience?"

Mark

is a pain at times, certainly one to watch their user agreement

I still use it though but I hate it when people still use their credit card after I explain that I have to eat the 4% that the carrier gets but don't want to include the extra 4%.

I had a friend who had $3K deducted from her bank account via Paypal by persons unknown. I,too, refused to be "verified"-now my account is unaccessible by me because the "have no record" of my user ID, although I still can get on eBay with the same account and I get emails to my web address warning me of unauthorized attempts at access when I (unsuccessfully) attempt to log on to Paypal....

If I was a big eBay shopper..... :AR15firin

There are spam emails that go out under the name Paypal. They tell you something is wrong with your account and tell you to click on the link that they give you to sign in. They take you to their own site that is identical to Paypal's and have you sign in. Then they steal your username and password. There is hardly a way to tell that the site that they take you to is a spoof - even the links on the site work exactly like they would on paypal.

Spoofers do the same with ebay.

My point is - I wonder if the people who have had problems were truly uninvolved in their own fleecing, or if they got scammed into giving their username and password out, then someone stole their money?

I actually fell for it once, but I thought it smelled funny, so I went back to paypal and immediately changed my password. Then I sent them the spoof email and they confirmed that it was a spoof.

It's too bad you had problems.....

However, PayPal IS a bank. So, obviously they would need that information. Even if a person doesn't "online bank", they are still at risk because nearly every banks data is accessible via a 100 year old copper wire, fancy optics or ole coax.

Your ATM card/withdrawls are at more risk than PayPal tranfers.....

My friend who lost $3K set up her Paypal at the time of an eBay purchase and had her account verified. When the money went missing, she had the bank track the transaction and it went through Paypal. Paypal told her "so sorry" but, although they could confirm that the transaction had occurred, they couldn't track it any further because the perpetrator had a dummy account, much like our fav internet scammers, the Nigerian con guys

"There is hardly a way to tell that the site that they take you to is a spoof - even the links on the site work exactly like they would on paypal."

actually not true. the actual hyperlink might look the same, and the page might, but if you check the url (just copy and paste instead of clicking the link) they will look very, very differnt

also, if you check the source of the emails, they will be fishy too.

Ive had hundreds of scam attempts, mostly nigerian lowlife wannabe criminals, and many ebay/paypal fake emails...I might be more 'net savvy than your average joe, but all it takes is a tiny bit of forethought and youre free and clear

actually not true. the actual hyperlink might look the same, and the page might, but if you check the url (just copy and paste instead of clicking the link) they will look very, very differnt

Solid and safe "bank" in my opinion. Paypal does as much as anyone and more, I think, to safegaurd it's users.

I just don't see how to get scammed unless you click on those bogus links.

Am I wrong? If so, edumacate me. I believe that the 3K scam was user error, somehow...

Dave

even if you click the links, it doesnt give your password and login. you have to enter those

paypal site will say:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/

the "s" means it is an encrypted site.

phony sites wont have that. one thing to look for.

but, as Jenney said..and it should be noted that paypal will NEVER send emails asking you to login for ANY reason whatsoever (neither does ebay)...dont click the link. just go directly to your paypal login page if you need to get in.

My friend who lost $3K set up her Paypal at the time of an eBay purchase and had her account verified. When the money went missing, she had the bank track the transaction and it went through Paypal. Paypal told her "so sorry" but, although they could confirm that the transaction had occurred, they couldn't track it any further because the perpetrator had a dummy account, much like our fav internet scammers, the Nigerian con guys

Sounds like a ebay scam, not a PayPal issue......

someone mentioned something about bidpay and western union. be very careful when others try to pay you, especially foreiners, becuase these sites are by far the most often spoofed. anytime i sell something on ebay over 1000 dollars i get all kinds of attempts to buy, from africa mainly, saying, "send out the product now and i'll send money via western union." errrr.. wrong!! dont be fooled by this.

for those of you using you credit card for protection, your day is coming when you'll hit the aggregate limit, unpublished of course. Then paypal will demand your bank account info and access, If you don't give it to them...BOOM, they cut you off.

So why, if you have a perfect payment record with paypal, do they do that. Everyone else in the world accepts my Visa card. Ebay, who now owns paypal, even advertises on every auction site the Visa logo under Paypal....but they won't let you use it! It's boosht mon. :smashfrea

for those of you using you credit card for protection, your day is coming when you'll hit the aggregate limit, unpublished of course. Then paypal will demand your bank account info and access, If you don't give it to them...BOOM, they cut you off.

So why, if you have a perfect payment record with paypal, do they do that. Everyone else in the world accepts my Visa card. Ebay, who now owns paypal, even advertises on every auction site the Visa logo under Paypal....but they won't let you use it! It's boosht mon. :smashfrea

yeah, i hear they're a police of their own. they busted one of the guy selling bongs and what not. and paypal withheld several thousands of dollars from the seller.

Wheniver I get a phishing e-mail, I right-click on it in Outlook's preview pane and select View Source to see which URL the link actually directs me to. In one "PayPal" case it went to the home page of an Austrian youth. Even with my fractured German I was able to figure out his name and where he lived. I passed the info on to PayPal but never heard back from them.

I've been using PayPal both as a buyer and seller for sometime and have never had a problem.