Note to New Members ×

Pureboarding videos

skategoat

Have you guys seen the videos on pureboarding.com:

http://pureboarding.kicks-ass.net/pureboarding/index.php?id=43

The one called "last paradise" gives me a lot of incentive to attend SES and ride those Aspen slopes.

A couple of observations:

The boards look really short. Watch the guy in the dreads (he rides switch for a bit). His board looks 164 tops. Anyone know for sure what equipment they are riding?

Their form looks more rotational than most. They seem to be rotating their shoulders into the turn. I've been trying not to do that. Do I have it wrong?

I think that's the important question. If you're carving down the hill and all is good, than I'd say "no" to your question about your shoulders. It also depends on wether you're going for a specific "style" of riding. Personally I think if it works for you do it, if it doesn't, don't. Lots of people here are very good technical riders, they look graceful and appear to carve effortlessly down the slopes. Others like myself just do the best they can and enjoy the feeling they get from riding an alpine board. I try to improve my riding skills every season, but what it boils down to for me is, am I comfortable, did I have fun, and am I still in one piece? JMHO.....

Have fun,

Paul

The schedules work out much better this year. The "Pureboarding" crew will be in force this SES. Last year they overlapped only one or two days. Fortunately I got a chance to ride with the Bros from Switzerland and Germany. What a hoot!, these guys rip and have a incredible passion for carving/snowboarding. Yes, the #one is short/ asymetrical and is used in all conditions. Check out the gallery of the day Jorge came to visit us at Mt Hood. It was not the best snow conditions but Jorge is a master of carve.

Jorge vists T-Line

I was more interested in what kind of length and sidecut they are riding. I can't read German beyond the Verbotten signs in Hogan's Heroes.

Do I think I'm doing something wrong? Maybe. The problem is this - I ride too fast and the radius of my turns is too long. I can handle it but it's not optimal for crowded slopes and riding with the family. I want to ride more like those pureboarding guys.

Trying to analyze the situation, I thought "it's just my board". I've been riding a Prior 4WD 174 which I know has a short radius but because of its wide waist, turn transition takes too long and needs too much room. Of course, it's also technique. Last year, I watched GabeT make tight, controlled turns on a 180+ Coiler. Rob Crobar makes those sort of turns (plus Euro-carves) on a wide Swoard. This is why I'm interested in the pureboarding style.

In terms of addressing the hardware, late in the season I took delivery on a Coiler RC 174. I felt great edge hold and less tail washout in the limited runs I took with the board. Will I get tighter, slower turns with this board? Not with my current technique. So this summer, I stocked up on shorter, more SL type boards - two Burton FPs (164 & 168), a Volkl 168RT.

I'm going to experiment with all those boards and work on technique.

I learned the Swiss style of riding, and apparently also ride with a huge amount of rotation (although I don't always feel like I am).

Much like the EC style, it can definitely get the board round corners very quickly, and feels very smooth; I am also thinking back to when one of the ski racer guys used to watch me ride both styles, he reckoned that the big rotation put a lot less stress on the gear because everything flowed. Since my 2 years riding with the Swiss coach guy, I stopped snapping bales and boards and boots and stuff.

I have tried riding with minimal rotation, and it is just harder for me to turn all the way uphill every turn than with a nice big rotation and stuff. Actually, since I went away from ski boots, the big rotation feels even smoother again...

The way I started on it was to go back to green slopes, and using a big rotation seemed to make it easier to stay carving and not losing all the speed...then gradually building back up to the big runs. Even now, I am usually the slowest of any carvers out there, because I am checking my speed so much and also because I am wimp ;_)

Have you guys seen the videos on pureboarding.com:

http://pureboarding.kicks-ass.net/pureboarding/index.php?id=43

The one called "last paradise" gives me a lot of incentive to attend SES and ride those Aspen slopes.

A couple of observations:

The boards look really short. Watch the guy in the dreads (he rides switch for a bit). His board looks 164 tops. Anyone know for sure what equipment they are riding?

Their form looks more rotational than most. They seem to be rotating their shoulders into the turn. I've been trying not to do that. Do I have it wrong?

I asked same questions to Jorg and he was kind enough to answer my questions. He told me that he rides #one board length 158? or 161 that has sidecut around 8.9m(?). These numbers are not 100% but very close as I remember. Also he rides front 53* back 20* angles. And his boards are all 23cm wide. He said that the style came directly from surfing. It is amazing style from weird or out of ordinary setup.

Oh also the boards are built by Kessler snowboard and cost around 1000euro. That's because #one is asym.

Wow. That's short by North American standards. In another thread here, Nils says he's puzzled by the fact that we (North Americans) ride longer carving boards and shorter powder boards than Europeans. I suspect it's a bit of machismo to want to ride big sticks. Sort of like when we used to ride 210 skiis.

Kip, I'm going to try what you say - go back to green runs and work on completing my turns then move up. Watch out you ski bunnies.

I'm glad someone raised this question again. I too have the problem of taking up the whole slope making big GS turns. It's fun but tough on crowded slopes. I've never been able to replicate the quick transition turns in a narrow track. At Okemo last year I observed Ron (can't recall his last name) riding superbly in really crappy conditions on a very short Nidecker. He recommended that I switch to a shorter board (I was riding a 168 RennTiger GS).

Here's a very short slow motion clip I shot of Ron negotiating the crud. You'll notice that he stays compact throughout the whole sequence. BTW, I couldn't figure out how to remove the sound from the clip so there is a little noise. You might want to kill your PC's sound if you're at work.

I have a 1997 Hot Shine in a 154 length. Would that be better suited for this type of riding?