Note to New Members ×

Board sleeves?

skategoat

Anyone have any good ideas on DIY board sleeves? What kind of material, closure, straps, etc.? I have pretty good sewing skills (worked a summer in a men's clothing shop as the "fine tailor" who hemmed your pants) and would like to tackle the project before the snow flies.

I'm thinking of single board sleeves, not multi-board bags.

Great minds think alike. I was actually about to post exactly the same question.

I'm personally just looking for something to separate my boards and clothes from each other in my soon2bpurchased sportube. Just simply don't want my clothes to become waxified or slashed up from the edges.

Some ideas: cotton terry, PVC-lined nylon, or perhaps a hybrid of these two.

Edit: I think some commercial sleeves use stretchy neoprene.

Guest dragon fly jones

For a quick travel wrap. with duct tape. It gives you good street cred, protects the board and something that you were going to throw out or give to a homeless shelter, can be repurposed for the an extended life and you know you love your blankey, why not have it with you all the time, just fold it up slide it in and off you go, now it may not be practical for the top of the car, but I did mention it as a travel wrap and isn't your board worth something that you would wrap yourself in? Think about it.

Anyone have any good ideas on DIY board sleeves? What kind of material, closure, straps, etc.? I have pretty good sewing skills (worked a summer in a men's clothing shop as the "fine tailor" who hemmed your pants) and would like to tackle the project before the snow flies.

I'm thinking of single board sleeves, not multi-board bags.

Heavy Duty terrycloth...you know towels...you can buy it by the yard at most fabric stores. I use a surfboard sock like sleeve made by OP but it's seen better days and will need replacement this year. Anyway the one I have is made of a terrycloth like material with a reinforced by cordura nosepiece (also available in better fabric shops) on the outside and a drawstring closure. I plan on taking it apart to make a patern for my new ones this winter.

Hey Skategoat

I think you should just use a cheap nylon, one of the ones that doesn't tear too easily; then you can run your sewing machine over it.

WHile you are at it, please whip me up a suit:

39 chest

32 waist

40 hips

Nice pinstripe 3 button no cuffs on the trousers, no pleats.

Good man :-)))))

Hey Skategoat

I think you should just use a cheap nylon, one of the ones that doesn't tear too easily; then you can run your sewing machine over it.

39 chest

32 waist

40 hips

Cheap nylon suit? Kipstar..you are the pinnacle of fashion! :lol:

as I am organising the world's first origami fashion exhibition featuring Louis Vuitton among others here in the middle of Bangkok; I cannot help but feel that fashion is probably the most pretentious, most overrated load of tripe in the world.

So...without further ado, bring on the nylon suit! I think it would be great to be doing some push pull turn with a pinstripe suit - no one has ever made a ski suit like that before have they?

Skategoat; get your Canadian sweat shop operation into full gear, and crank all bombers some new threads.

Guest Randy S.

The Bomber sleeve isn't a bad model to look at. The velcro closure works with a wide variety of lengths (although not my 210). It is some sort of cordura nylon. A combination of an inner layer of terry with an outer layer of cordura would be awesome. Do you have a heavy-duty sewing machine?

I was reading recently of a company using old tarps from trucks (the big ones they cover their loads with on flatbed tractor trailers) and recycling them into messenger bags, wallets and other stuff. That would be a coold thing, especially if part of the trucking company's logo showed on the outside. Here's the link to the company: Freitag. That material would be perfect. I bet if you asked a shipping company for an old tarp, they'd be happy to give it to you. Just cut out the part that is in the best shape. That stuff is really tough so it would hold up well.

How much for a sleeve for my 210? Let me know.

Randy

Hey Skategoat

39 chest

32 waist

40 hips

Kip:

Last time I checked, in your neck of the woods, you could get a suit made up for the price of a Starbucks latte.

HK

P.S. When you coming to North America for some snow?