Note to New Members ×

old Carver returns to the hill-board choice help needed

Guest Gtfearons

Guest Gtfearons

Hey all-been a lurker here for a bit and have a few questions. Havent ridden in years due to kids etc. <My son wants to get into riding as he has become a really good skier for a 6 year old. He allways asks about the collection of boards in the garage and I say those are from a long time ago.... When I stopped riding it was a Burton M6 and semi hard boots(Kempers I think-hard on the lower half???)

My question is I want to get back on an alpine board as I cant go out and get into soft boots with a short board. I could probably ride it but it would awfull sloppy. When I rode it was all about the carve and how low can you get. Laying down carves with your entire body laying down on the fall line was not low enough. I am sure things have not changed as I see from the photos here on this site.

Give me insight on a new board boots and bindings. The biggest issue is size......290 pounds 6 foot 2 with 13 size boot. Goofey stance. Cost is a factor but I know I probably have to pay for being so big. XXL allways cost a bit more.

Welcome back to the carving world :)

Please update your profile, so carvers can see where you are located and where you are planning to ride.

Boots and bindings are something that you will need to buy for yourself for sure, the carving board will find you.

How about looking for a board in the low to mid 170's? A lot of us have extra boards to loan or sell. Others will post on best brands for the 250+ rider.

--Hugh

Welcome back - you're at the right place!

Really, this is pretty much a one-stop-shop right here! Between the Bomber store, the classifieds and, like Hugh said, people here to load boards, you pretty much got her covered.

You may seriously want to consider borrowing/demoing stuff this season before making a purchase (unless it's just a steal!). SES, ECES, WTC and various other gatherings usually make this possible. I know that Sean Martin (Donek) has/had a demo program as well. May want to check him out too!

A COMFORTABLE GOOD-FITTING pair of boots is a must - you'll probably just have to plunk down some $ for that.

Good luck!

Guest Randy S.

One question regarding equipment is easy to answer. Bindings. You want either Bombers or Cateks. Do not get cheaper bindings or you'll probably break them. For boots, you are just going to have to pray that you can find a pair big enough. UPZ had some that big a year or two ago. 13 is around a 30, right? I'm not sure. As for a board, if you are willing to buy a new one, I'd call Sean at Donek and ask him what he suggests. Either one of the stock Freecarve models, or any of the Race models that have previously been custom built for big folks or really powerful racers.

wait...just getting back into it and everyone is suggesting $600 snowboards?

to the OP...hell, if you have the money, yeah! but...there are used or new old stock boards out there that youd have plenty of fun on imo...

DEFINITELY make sure your boots work well for you. bad fit can ruin a good day really, really quickly.

and randy is right, youll probably want bombers or cateks just so you know they wont break

did you already mention what your setup was before? If not, Id be curious

on boots and bindings first...scour the classifieds(here/TC/catek/other sites) and Ebay ...I spent $300 on boots boot's and binding through luck and the kindness of my fellow platers. As for a board...USED for at least a season...if you are lucky like me someone will be selling a Coiler/Donek/Prior that is fabricated for your weight (there was an Axis here a few weeks ago that likely would have been perfect).

Guest Gtfearons

wow. thank you all for the great insight. I rode a Burton M6 with the three strap bindings and semi rigid boots by kemper. I had a old rossignoal board with plates and lange ski boots that was also a favorite-but cant recall the rossignol board style.

I will watch and learn and try to find a used rig-but the boots may be hard to find used. Should I try to find a wider board due to 13 size boot?

Give him a try, he's been trying to unload a pair of MP 30.5 UPZ boots on eBay for a bit, he's probably still got them. http://www.upzboots.com/ Plus he's a good guy!

As for boards, if you decide to go for a race or freecarve board, get your order in to Michelle here at Bomber soon, or like other cost minded folks (I'm one too!) keep checking the classifieds.

If you decide you want an all-mountain board look for the Rad-Air Tanker 2k (I know I know shameless plug, but its still a good recommendation!)

Good Luck!