Note to New Members ×

Where to carve in Central PA?

SWriverstone

Hi Everyone...

We've been gone from the forum for a while due to life, summer/fall sports, etc. But we're starting to get stoked about the upcoming season!

Holly has taken a new job in NYC (starting on the 31st of this month), and will be living in Summit, NJ. I will remain in Shepherdstown, WV for at least the next year. Yeah, we'll have to do the long-distance relationship thing---which sucks---but it's only for a year or so. Holly already traded in her gas-guzzling truck for a Toyota Prius in anticipation of all the driving!

We want to find a place to carve together on weekends that is roughly halfway between us. The driving halfway point is on I-78, about halfway between Harrisburg, PA and Allentown. Any suggestions on good places to carve around there (relatively speaking for the mid-Atlantic, that is) are appreciated!

I know there are carvers here who ride mountains in central PA (e.g. isn't there a resort near Hamburg, PA?)

I guess we'd be open to good carving spots close to Summit, NJ too (that just means I'd have to drive all the way up there).

Scott

Hey Scott.... Having grown up in Harrisburg and lived in the Poconos for awhile, I would suggest Blue Mountain. Don't know how great it would be on the weekend, but I guess any place in the mid-atlantic area is going to be crowded on the weekend.

Aren't there some folks on here who ride Blue Mountain?

Scott,

I rode with you and Holly at Okemo last year, nice to see you're still stoked. Blue is not a bad mountain for carving, probably the best in the Pocono’s. (Of course I'm a little biased- I live 10 minutes away) You might want to look at RoundTop; I haven't been, but I've heard good things.

If you decide to stay closer to NJ here are a few tips for Blue:

-Weekdays are completely empty

-If you ride on the weekend arrive early, lifts start at 7:30am(weekends only) I can usually run laps until 10:00 before the crowds arrive.

Ride the quad for the first hour or so and then head for the middle section of the hill.

-STAY OFF MOST OF THE GREEN TRAILS- they are deadly on a carving deck, you will be ducking Joey’s most of the way down.

-I’m not sure if they still offer this, but the last few years you could purchase discounted lift tickets at Acme Supermarkets. I never seen an Acme, supposedly they can be found in NJ.

There are several alpine riders at Blue, so if you ever need company just drop me an e-mail.

Jesse

Thanks everyone---I'd forgotten about Blue Mountain, so we'll definitely check that one out. I think the "earlybird" rule (and empty weekends) is pretty much the rule at all Mid-Atlantic resorts.

Looks like I'll be frequenting a few resorts this winter: Whitetail, 'cause it's only 40 minutes away; RoundTop, 'cause it's better (and Phil's there, of course :)), and Blue Mountain, since that's close to where Holly will live!

Scott

You could try camelback. I am from north jersey so we ride vernon all the time

I taught at Shawnee (4 years) and Camelback (2 years) ... both in the Poconos... from 1995 until 2001 or so. My last year at Shawnee we had at least a dozen instructors all on carving stuff by the end of the season and had a blast. Many of the trails at Camelback are narrow with lots of big turns, but there are a few wider ones toward the left (looking up the hill) and one even has it's own chair that I think they just run on the weekends. That slope usually doesn't get to busy because I think most people can't figure out how to get to it!

Anyway, like you said, plan to get there early to get your ride time in before the crowds hit.

Kathy

Many of the trails at Camelback are narrow with lots of big turns, but there are a few wider ones toward the left (looking up the hill) and one even has it's own chair that I think they just run on the weekends. That slope usually doesn't get to busy because I think most people can't figure out how to get to it!

Anyway, like you said, plan to get there early to get your ride time in before the crowds hit.

Kathy

Its called the recreational racing slope its one of the best. but its to short

Yup, you are right! That's the one.... it was always my favorite.... also that long winding one that goes under the chairlift over there.... it was always cool if you could get those carves just right to make the turns. I bet that one is too crowded on the weekends though. I was always stuck teaching in the beginner area when I was there on the weekends!

Its called the recreational racing slope its one of the best. but its to short

Do you remember way back when there was a T-Bar on that slope???? You guys on the east coast don't know how good you have it! T-Bars and rope tows are NOT FUN on a board!!!! (I slid down a pretty steep and icy t-bar track a few winters ago... I wasn't sure when (or if) I was going to stop! Luckily it was a pretty slow day and no one else was comming up on the T-Bar!!!!

I ride Blue more often than other PA hills because it's closest with the most vertical (1080'). I'll normally go Thursday nights or buy the half day morning ticket on weekends/holidays. Yes, you can get discount tickets at Acme markets, and they have them in PA, too, but sometimes you can find better deals and coupons on line if you're doing other than a normal all day lift.

If you're planning on doing something regularly on weekends, Elk may be a good choice, as it's also about 1000' and has fewer crowds due to it's further distance from Philly and NYC. You can hit that pretty easy from WV also, it's just going to be a bit longer drive on I-81.

The other Pocono hills are hardly worth the trouble because they're only around 600-700' and seem to be more crowded, but if you hit them on a weekday, you're usually OK. Don't even bother with Blue or other Pocono places (other than Elk) on holiday weekends unless you'll only be there for the first hour, as the crowds are ridiculous.

Glad to hear Holly is OK and will be riding this season. Hope to meet you in PA, so drop a line if you're in the area.

Think snow,

MT

mwtokar@earthlink.net

Do you remember way back when there was a T-Bar on that slope???? You guys on the east coast don't know how good you have it! T-Bars and rope tows are NOT FUN on a board!!!! (I slid down a pretty steep and icy t-bar track a few winters ago... I wasn't sure when (or if) I was going to stop! Luckily it was a pretty slow day and no one else was comming up on the T-Bar!!!!

No i dont didnt start sliding untill 1992 and there was a lift at that time.

Paul good talking mit ya! Mellow it will be your task to do da SVES.. NC ! NOT! haha.. will it ? be during holiday break? When was it last year..

Paul the Dates for Big Mountain are set.. Jan 20th to the 28th. Looks like a guys week out! "M" is not going to be able to go.. plus I need to get a full exhaust system for my new Duc and well its the exhaust or have "m" on the trip! If she hits the lottery then she's in! I will let you know after sunday what we come up with.. It will be Me, you and Steve, prices will vary depending on how many strippers we get for the week.. we will probabley have to have them shave first, since they will of local species.. It was too much shipping and handling charges for us to bring them from home. The money we save, we can buy Jeramaya Weed to compensate!

Also Two more Cleveland locals are gonna be up the same time we are so, we will have 5 as of today ..it may grow by x-mas time and people figure out what they can do.. but will have to provide for their own entertainment!

Right said Shred

Hi Scott,

I am one of the coaches of the Ski Roundtop Snowboard Race Team. If you are ever interested we train on Monday and Wednesday nights from 6 - 9 PM. Races and free carving on the weekends! Feel free to give me a call 717-979-3765

Sam

Kinpa, How's the snow out there?

Well, there is snow up in the tops of the mountains. I can see it everyday, but I'm nowhere near it! I must admit, it really does put me in the mood.

Shred, you boys have fun on your week at Big Mountain... I can't go that week either and if M can't go... well..... you know me, I thrive on trying to help people and it was great teaching her because she really seemed to want to learn... those are the best people to teach!

Kathy