Note to New Members ×

OT: Mountain Bike Forks

mnfusion

Need some help from all you mountain bike people out there. I just recently bought a full suspension frame to replace my hard tail and need to get a fork for it. I am building this up as an all-mountain bike with mild downhill potential, but the main focus will be trail riding with 5-6 inches of suspension. I currently am looking at a Marzocchi Jr. T but am unsure if a triple crown is really necessary. Why would one want or need a triple crown fork? I will admit I will not be jumping this bike, but like I said I will be going to ski areas and riding downhill with it. While I am partial to Marzocchi, does anyone have any other recomendations out there either in the Marzocchi line or other? I am building up a Mountain Cycles San Andras frame, what do you think I should put on it fork-wise? (just a side note, I am building this up as a 9 speed with no front deraileur and single chainring if that helps)

I think that a Jr. T may be overkill for you. I used to have one. Currently I am riding a DJ, an AM, a Z1 and a Shiver. on each of my bikes.

If you are not doing any jumping, you could get away with the AM series. The AM 1 and the AM SL are killer forks. Their adjustments seem endless.

I cannot believe, however that if you will be doing ski resorts that you would not be doing any jumping.;)

Therefore, I would consider a FR fork such as a Z1 series. I have had two of these, and they are dope. They have six inches of travel and a 20mm thru axle. As long as you aren't going huge off of drops and such, this would probably be your best option. There are several Z1's to choose from so just figure out how much adjustability you want.

If you are going to go big, I would get something from the 66 series. I lust after those myself, but I cannot justify one right now. The 66 and the Jr. T have the same amount of travel, but I would go with the 66 any day. I would only get the Jr. T for heavy DH use, but then I would rather have a shiver or a 888.

All the above is just my opinion - for what it is worth. Let me know what you decide.

get a shermin or a single crown travis. I have a shermin on my xc bike(cannondale gemini) and I love it, its great looking, and since I had the heavy springs put in(I was 230 at the time) it totally changed the bike.

I do xc on that bike freeride and even dh. Its great.

I think you can get a shermin in 5 6 and 7, I really like the 6 for what i'm doing.