Aisling

Best snow in New England  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Best snow in New England

• Early winter (nov-dec)
    • Mid-winter (late dec-early feb)
    • late winter (feb-march/april)
    • all of the above/none of the above

Ok, a friend of mine is trying to plan a visit up here (he's from LA) and asked me the best time for snow as he wants to go riding with me. I figured I'd start a poll and see what the verdict is...

anyone?

Since you live in the NE, shouldn't you have figured out what you prefer? From my years in the Boston area - I think February is the best time. Seasonal temperature/precipiation variations can really screw up the early/late seasons, but by mid-February/early March it will have been cold enough for mountains to make a decent base and you can a decent chance of some spring storms. I would avoid Jan/earlyFeb because he's not going to like ice, frozen hardpack, or even cold weather coming from Californian mountains.

That's a tough call. So much depends on the widely variable conditions.

Maybe it's better to meet your friend in Telluride.....

Pat

(seen on a t shirt at Penn State last weekend: "I'm a superhero with no special powers or motivation")

lonerider i had my own opinions but i figured i'd ask my boys here :biggthump

oh and by LA i meant the abbreviation for the state of Louisiana, not L.A. ... my bad for not being a little clearer... though that doesn't matter much except for the fact that he's never ridden in Cali. haha

Guest Randy S.

I lived in NH for most of my life. IMO, February is your safest bet for decent snow. Just coordinate around Mass and NH school vacation weeks (they aren't always the same). January you risk a thaw and March can get rain.

Bring your friend to the ECES! (March 6-12, Sugarloaf/USA)

March is Sugarloaf's best month. Sugarloaf's winter lasts a little longer than central NH/VT resorts, and really comes into prime-time in March. There's more daylight, better chance of good weather, no flat light on the trails (provided it's sunny), far less chance of bitter cold, good base, and historically the best snowfall.

In my 8 or so years of snowboarding, my favorite month to ride is March! Jack pointed out all the elements that make March the best time, for me, to ride. Days are longer and warmer, but still below freezing! Snow coverage will be excellent! Grooming will be right on! More sunny days! Just a good time to be on the trails! And alot of people are starting to think about spring which translates into less crowds on the trails/in the lines! Again, this is just my point of view at my favorite mountain!

Happy trails!

Noah you kill me LOL

Jack you don't like to plug ECES at all do you? ;)

looks like feb/march which is around when i was thinking ... though now that the mornings are getting a little colder... i'm looking at my board... realizing it needs a tune up... and wanting it to snow already.

having worked a full season in the NE, and witnessing spring and winter in every month last season, ie- cold, snow, warm, rain, repeat. I would say consult the Farmer's Almanac. Amazingly, the freezes and thaws of last season were predicted quite accurately. and as a head's up, it's calling for snow, snow and more snow for NE this season.