Note to New Members ×

Skwal Bindings

RJ_

I have compiled a list of Skwal Bindings (and potentially some that would maybe work with a sub-14cm wide board)

• Bomber https://www.bomberonline.com/ (All models Currently unavailable as of Spring 24') 
    • Both step-in and toe Clip models 
    • No leaning the bindings out
      • Only allow for Lift, (Canting only in the long axis of the board)
    • Canting disk is a separate piece mounted below baseplate, Toe and heel blocks mount to baseplate and are retained by clamping force of x2 M8 screws. 
      • I will dub this a 2-piece design.
  • MPride https://www.mpride.net/ (Currently out of stock as of Spring 24')
    • Bindings are made from a single piece of Titanal
      • this limits the number of positions to the inserts in your board.
        • No center disk to be adjustable
      • Some built in Lift 
      • appears to use F2 Bails, likely uses F2 Wedges for additional lift and canting.
        • the bails put them around ~10.8 cm wide.
  • PHK Board Solutions https://www.phk-italia.com/
    • Various styles available, Both step-in and toe Clip (no stock of step-ins)
    • Their 'Standard' design 
      • A classic snowboard disk mounts an aluminum base plate to the board
        • This allows for adjustment in positioning the binding along the length of the board, and rotationally. (this has finer adjustments than Bomber or SkwalUSA Gen-2)
      • The Toe and heel blocks are retained to the baseplate using grooves
        • this prevents sliding even if the screws loosen. 
      • Both Lift and Canting blocks available.
        • you can lean your cuff out and lean your foot forward in any combination you want.
      • Rubber 'Anti-Skid' pads
        • These should both prevent your foot from sliding when not latched in. 
    • Other Styles include
      • An Exclusively un-canted binding for those who like riding flat
      • A 'modular binding', Canting appears to be in the disk side of the mount.
  • SkwalUSA https://www.skwalusa.com/ Unavailable (Yes, I know the site says in-stock, PM for the details)
    • Only Toe Clip Styles*
      • *I am making a step-in receiver for SkwalUSA bindings (therefore also standard PHK bindings)
    • Previously available, Unknown if they will return to manufacture.
      • (I'm hoping to convince them to start again)
    • Thinner Bails than others (Will measure diam. and update)
    • Gen 1 bindings were made by PHK, PHK's Standard design.
    • Gen 2 bindings are made from a single piece of aluminum
      • this limits the number of positions to the inserts in your board.
      • this makes you entirely connected to the board. ZERO FLEX OR GIVE
      •  uses PHK hardware for additional canting if desired, no lift required (its built in).
  • Virus https://shop.virus-snowsports.com/ 
    • Bindings appear to be a single piece construction.
    • Unknown how Canting and lift works

No longer around/offering Skwal Bindings:

• Cateks https://www.catek.com/OS2-plate-binding.htm 
    • Made bindings that happened to be narrow enough to fit on Skwals.
  • Elfgen
    • No info on these, they did make Skwal Specific bindings.
  • R.A.D.
    • Had some custom binders they used to offer with a cable front bail. 
  • (SkwalUSA is teetering on this edge)
    • 2011 -> ~2014, but have done some sales later
  • SnowPro
    • They made skwal specific models and some branded ones for Thias. 

Worth mentioning that F2 bindings are what Thias Skwals are sold with. Thias designed his latest boards around these bindings to make it easier to get out into people’s hands. At 145mm wide, this raises some questions about whether these boards are alpine Snowboards or Skwals. 

Please let me know if I have missed anything, I am working to make my ideal binding and seeing various styles helps.

Any history you could provide as well, I've only covered current makers but there are plenty of others that have made skinny hardboot bindings in the past.

Edited by RJ_
Added information and manufacturers, Removed F2

F2 bindings has 145mm width, so I won't recommend it for any board that has less than that around inserts. You can also add cateks. They are narrow enough, however they were discontinued ages ago.

• Like 1

F2 uses wedges for canting and lift, and yes too wide. Thias designed his latest boards around these bindings to make it easier to get out into people’s hands. 

Add SnowPro. They made skwal specific models and some branded ones for Thias. Not around anymore either I think. 

Virus just entered the market. 

R.A.D. had some custom binders they used to offer with a cable front bail. No longer around or offered I think. Pics to follow. 

• Like 1

mpride in Switzerland makes titanium skwal bindings but they appear to be be out of stock. If the current ones (F2 heel and toe?) are the same width as my aluminum binding (Elfgen maybe?) their width is about 10.8 cm. I also have the PHK/ Skwal USA which has a thinner bail. 

• Like 1

@RJ_ The SnowPros are designed in such a way that the binding angles are limited, like the Bomber TD1. The work around for the skwal specific model was similar, they simply rotated the bolt circle pattern to allow for higher angles. There was also a Thias branded model that had a plastic wedge shaped base plate versus the wedges under the bails.

post-1451-141842404537_thumb.jpg

post-12207-141842419752_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

If you are accepting that the F2 is a skwal binding you should pretty much add ANY alpine snowboard binding. F2 simply isn’t a skwal binding. I am actually a little bothered that Thias made his new boards wider just to make finding bindings easier. Making the new boards wider put them on the edge of not being skwals IMHO.

THOSE RAD BINDINGS LOOK METAL! What board do you have those mounted to/ is that a Thias Skwal?

On the SnowPros (and similar bails) I like the way the distance between the bails can be adjusted separately from the canting and lift. Thats something I am bothered with on the PHK/SkwalUSA bindings, it's just not a quick process and I find myself changing boards/boots quite often. Do bails with this screw style adjustment loosen at all over time? 

Those Catek bindings have the coolest adjustment style I've seen so far, they look incredibly adjustable and rigid. Any ideas why they stopped making them?

I removed F2 from the list, I was incredibly hesitant to put them on at first until I saw them on Thias' website. That also had me confused because that would mean his boards are wider than what would be called a Skwal. Being incredibly new to this whole thing I wasn't going to challenge it, but it's nice to see I had some merit to my thinking. 

On 4/4/2024 at 8:41 AM, RJ_ said:

Any ideas why they stopped making them?

Sorry, I don't know the story. It happened before I found this community, I don't even know the year. I heard they used very small hexagonal crest on their bolts. It was too easy to break it. Also these bindings (maybe older models) are notorious for ripping the inserts out of the boards. I'm pretty sure these problems were not the things that got them out of the business though.

Edited by skhil
typo