Note to New Members ×

Design the ideal boot bag

I have a Swix boot bag and another brand. I was checking out bags at a ski shop in PC today and got lost in deep, post-snowboarding thoughts.  

What features, number of pockets, volume of bag, padding or none, etc. makes the ideal bag for you?  If it makes it easier, let’s separate into

1. boot bags for airline travel 

2 boot bags for non-airline travel

Definitely different things.

On (1). ... as a hard booter I also can't put boots in the hold (risk of being misplaced; there are no local replacements available in most places), and I need a spare pair of bindings in the cabin too (ditto). Oh, and you can't put electronics (eg transceiver, radio) in the hold.

My solution is a maximum legal carry on with boots and spare bindings plus electronics in it. That is heavy (even with modern boots), so it needs wheels. In contrast the hold bag - a snowboard bag - can be minimal. Two wheely bags are hard to manage; it's better to have a light weight board bag (awkward but light) and a heavy cabin bag (manoeuvrable and wheely). 

(2) My SLC mates all have those non-airline boot bags with the built-in heaters.

My boots don't need padding, you could throw them around and they wouldn't care. I suppose my car might need some protection from minor scratches from them.

Same as Phil for me. 

One hard-shell max legal carry-on size bag for flying, with wheels. Airlines don't weigh carry-ons (yet), so I put my densest stuff in this. Bindings, batteries, boots stuffed with socks, etc. 

One lightweight bag to carry boots and misc other stuff from car to ski lodge. Nice stuff for that one:

- Backpack straps

- Top handle

- Way to keep the boots separated from other stuff

- A small pocket for little stuff that's hard to find in a bigger bag

- Another pocket for medium stuff

- Big main pocket

2 hours ago, philw said:

Two wheely bags are hard to manage

BTW, something like this is awesome: https://a.co/d/fBCf66d

You can make quite a train, but you have to think like a pro truck driver when moving in busy spaces with a board bag and 2 bags in tow. Wide turn approaches!