Note to New Members ×

soft board/boot/binding selection for semi competent hardboot carver

pow4ever

thanks all!  Great feedback seems like all great mind think a like 🙂

yea...  i hear you.  for good carving day - likely i will be on HB setup.
For the past decade -
even on less than stellar carving day - i am still on carving setup.  it's not optimized but it does surprisingly well. 

i try different board(s), AT boots/softer binding - cater to the condition - that strategy work pretty well until i ride mostly out west (air trip).  since i can't bring the kitchen sink with me.  bring one board solve that mental crutch.  be happy with what i got and just having fun regardless what equipment i was strap to.  As Rob say - i am too lazy to switch setup middle of the day.

That being say this is more about explore/expand my horizon.  Not saying i am perfect at HB as there are always something to work on.  Since softboot carving is getting popular - i want to share the stoke with my non-carving SB buddies.  They are not going to try HB so if i can show them we can all carve regardless of equipment it's easier to start that conversation. 

it's multifaceted reason.  For that reason i am also interested in learning how to ski.
anyday i get to learn/push myself it's a grand day. 

3 hours ago, pow4ever said:

until i ride mostly out west (air trip).  since i can't bring the kitchen sink with me.  bring one board solve that mental crutch. 

For flights, I pack both SB/HB boards and SB boots in board bag, and HB boots in boot bag. This keeps board bag under 50# limit.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 8:12 AM, pow4ever said:

or TLDR what's your setup and what are your setup?

I think there are lots of softboot boards, more than there are hardboot boards. My perspective is the other way around though... I ride mostly powder, and I discovered in the early 1990s that hardboot boards suck there... so I switched to softboot boards for powder, with hard boots. It's not, to me, about the boots, it's about the boards.

I never found a soft boot board which worked in hardpack. Until Steve Klassen designed the Hometown Hero, and that one replaced my Kessler SL as my hardpack board. Now I have one board for bottomless powder and hardpack... and everything in between. I do ride all that with hard boots, so there's that.

So that's not "my advice", that's my set up. But you can ride boards like the HH with soft boots too - all my mates do. As mentioned, you probably want step-ons, as those give better control, or so they tell me.

One of my mates uses one of Seth's Wintersticks and prefers it to the HH; I think that's because his style is more skate oriented, so he likes less torsional stiffness. It depends what you want. But one board will do it all, if you set it up right and depending on what style of carving you're trying to do.

• Like 1