Note to New Members ×

Got my new Volkl today!!!!

mnfusion

Got my Volkl Cross today!:) What a sweet looking board. It has the more squared off tail I was looking for. Damn I can't wait to ride it!

Question on angles. I haven't rode steeper than a 27 degree since the days of my PJ. I saw some suggested 45 degrees on both feet. What are the best angles to use for soft boot carvin' and why? Thanks.

usually whatever angles are comfortable. just watch out about extreme forward angles. if you go too much with the forward degrees you won't be able to adequately pressure the edge. general, good rule is as far forward without having any toe or heel drag.

is with your toes and heels as close to the edge as possible without hanging over. This maximizes toe/heel leverage, and prevents overhang. You can experiment from there, but you really want to avoid overhang. You can't carve with overhang.

...You can't carve with overhang.

I agree with Jack's comments, with this slight modification. You can certainly carve with overhang, but you can only tilt it as high as the overhanging boot/binding allows. When it hits the snow, you boot out (and usually hit the snow, too.)

I rode mine with risers at around 39f/33r. I was still in Flows at that time. Last season I fooled around with Catek Freerides and Malamutes and was able to ride my Prior MFR at 45f/39r without losing the ability to pressure the edges.

The Cross also likes plates btw. Some softer F2s at around 45* make it a real all-mountain board. Even better carving and can still handle the park and the deep stuff...

Thanks everyone. I have a size 7 foot so being that I am on a 25cm waist board I am not expecting any overhang at all, but I will be on the watch for it.

Voysey, I have the 167 cross. You say it has a softer nose than the 63, have you found that to be a problem?

I have a 165 not a 167. After I had ridden the 165 i felt that it was handling differently than the 163. I spoke with a guy who goes by the name PreSchoolRider. He said that they had made the nose softer for the 165 and probally the 167 to help the board handle better when doing border cross. After talking to PSR I realised the difference, that with the softer nose it made the board turn differently when loading up the nose.

I have a 165 not a 167. After I had ridden the 165 i felt that it was handling differently than the 163. I spoke with a guy who goes by the name PreSchoolRider. He said that they had made the nose softer for the 165 and probally the 167 to help the board handle better when doing border cross. After talking to PSR I realised the difference, that with the softer nose it made the board turn differently when loading up the nose.

I picked up a Cross 167 late last year. I was only on it once. I was on it for the first time the morning of the boardercross at Buck Hill.

It is the widest board I've ever been on, and it's very snappy. I was having trouble getting from edge to edge and ended up riding the BX on my Prior 4WD as I just couldn't get the hang of the Cross in the short practice time I had.

I'm looking forward to getting dome more time on it this season.