Note to New Members ×

OT: Tequila

Jack M

Originally posted by mikemcse

Jack

I am enjoying the El Tesoro anejo over the Chamucos. Thanks for the reccomendations.

Chamucos vs. El Tesoro - I have been researching tequilas extensifly (hic) and I haff to say that Chamucos is unexcelled in the smoothness department. ET is still very smooth though. The flavors are almost incomparable as Chamucos is a reposado and ET is an anejo. They both serve a unique purpose for me, and I enjoy them equally. I would say ET is more complex. I can't wait to try the new ET reposado, and the forthcoming Chamucos anejo.

I recently had bottles of Chinaco and Don Julio, both reposado. They're the same price, and Chinaco was good, but I liked Don Julio better by a significant margin in every way. I thought the DJ might be a contender against Chamucos, because by itself it is very pleasing. It has a great nose and great flavor and is quite smooth. However when compared with Chamucos side by side, the extra smoothness of Chamucos edges it out. If you've got a local place to purchase Chamucos, consider yourself lucky. I have to have it shipped. FYI, Milagro reposado is just bad. Tastes like chemicals.

My challenge now is to find the perfect tequila for margaritas. Finding good sipping tequila is pretty easy - just spend more money (usually). Any good sipping tequila will make a superb margarita, but it's kind of a waste of money if you're tossing back several margs in an evening, or making a pitcher to share with your ignorant friends who don't appreciate fine tequila.

The perfect margarita tequila has to be relatively cheap (like $30 or less for a fifth), smooth, tasty, 100% blue agave (of course), and have good presence in the marg but not be overpowering or harsh. Chamucos, despite being too expensive, is a bit too delicate - its flavor can get lost or obscured by the rest of the ingredients. I love a margarita made with El Tesoro anejo, but the oaky, slightly buttery flavor it imparts is somewhat nontraditional for a marg, imo. It also breaks the $30 barrier, but sometimes I can find it on sale for $33. Cuervo Tradicional is my current stock marg benchmark, but I feel like there must be a better bargain mid-shelf tequila out there I haven't found yet. Herradura is about as good as Cuervo Tradicional, maybe a smidge better. 1800 is schwag.

I haven't tried those but I am particularly fond of Herradura but I never see it in bars (in which I do most of my serious drinking). Patron is often available but I'm not keen on it. But given a choice between 1800 schwag and Patron, I'll take Patron. I’ll keep an eye out for Chamucos.

http://www.tequilaaficionado.com/index.php

put in my margarita given I was feeling like spending the $ now as for the winner on for the cheaper stuff, Sauza makes a decent marg(just don't even try to take it straight) and is dirt cheap

its not as sickly as the other cheap stuff when in mixed drink and tastes fine.

Originally posted by Bob Jenney

Porfidio is getting close, but pretty much any of the stuff you can find in a bar is good, but not the best.

:confused:

Porfidio is getting close?? At $125 for a fifth of Porfidio, what do you have to spend to get the best? $200??? I could not even entertain the idea of buying a fifth of Porfidio unless I was making 6 figures.

This is worse than wine.

Another reason I'm looking for a good bargain mid-shelf tequila is that when I drink tequila in margarita form, it disappears about twice as fast! cha-ching! What do you put in a basic marg Bob?

Porfidio is crap.

Well, not really. But for the price you can do MUCH better. here are a few tips from a seasoned "Oaxacan".

Herradura is the BEST bang for the buck. their reposado is great if you're on a budget.

El Corazon and Corralejo are great for the price. The anejo and reposado (respectively) are fantastic.

El Chamuco Blanco is an excellent agave at a decent price.

In general, stay away from the Cabo Wabo, Patron, and Sauza selections, although the Patron is the best of this selection.

You can't go wrong in picking up a bottle of Chinaco anejo...

Basically, try as many quality tequilas as you can (hopefully side by side). They are all different and uniquely delightfu..

Jim,

I've had a bottle of Milagro reposado and didn't like it at all. I thought it had a chemical taste. Going by that, I would expect El Tesoro anejo to knock the socks off Milagro anejo, but I've never had Milagro anejo.

Nils,

Pitchers of Margaritas.

Calvin,

Funny, I was underwhelmed by Corazon. Didn't think it was worth the price. I also think I would put Herradura reposado on par with Cuervo Tradicional (reposado).

I make and take my margaritas VERY seriously.

I thought I was snob for only using Cuervo 1800 ( on sale for 19.99 for a 750ml regularly ) in my batches.

Is there a better margarita tequilla in that price range? And what other brand is markedly better close to that price range. I'd like to have a comparison party with some friends.

My EZ marg recipe: 1/2 batch for about 4 drinks

1/2 can cheap store-brand limeaid

1/2 can or more of 1800

1/2 can of water

splash of OJ.

Pour in UNSALTED glass of ice, stir, pour 1/2 shot grand marnier

on top. If it's too strong, wait for ice to melt a while....

cheers

Dano,

1800, in any form, is piss. For margaritas, settle for no less than Cuervo Tradicional at LEAST. Other decent brands in this price range are Herradura, Cantera, basically any ~$30 bottle of reposado that is 100% blue agave is worth trying once. I realize 1800 is 100%, but it is the bottom of the barrel. Finer tequilas such as Don Julio, El Tesoro, Chamucos, Patron, etc make superb margs, but are not necessary. Besides, they should be saved for sipping.

To answer your question, I don't really know of any $20 bottle I would use. <i>Maybe</i> Sauza Hornitos or Commemorativo, but it's been a while since I've tried Sauza. Although I can find Cuervo Tradicional out of state for $22 on sale (in state it's $30).

Bob gave me a very involved recipe for Margaritas made from fresh lime juice, but it makes a mess and takes many hours (preferrably 24) to make. My fall-back recipe for a quick and tasty marg is this:

2 parts 100% blue agave tequila.

1 part (or a little less) orange liquer. I like Gran Gala, because I think it is 98% as good as Grand Marnier, for nearly half the price. Cointreau is too harsh, imo.

4 parts margarita mix (Cuervo is good).

juice of one lime wedge.

IMPORTANT: shake vigorously with ice. The taste and strength depends on the water from the melted ice. Oh yeah, frozen margaritas are for chicks.

Pour all into a highball glass, including lime wedge. NO SALT.

For a change every now and then I love to use El Tesoro Anejo - it imparts an interesting, more complex taste. I can get it for $32 on sale out of state, but it's always $45 in state (wtf?). I am very excited to try El Tesoro Reposado which hasn't made it to my area yet. If you can find that, I'm sure it's delicious and not too expensive.

-Jack

(marg fiend/snob)

Jacko,

Thanks much for the Gran Gala tip. Now I can justify the cost of experimenting with better tequilla(s). I'll see what they have at

Kappy's. May even splurge for the some of the sipping variety.

1800 was so much smoother than the especiale or whatever standard Cuervo is called, that I never bothered experimenting.

All the Sauza I've ever had was Battery-acid-NASTY.

Mix-wise, do yourself a huge favor and never buy Cuervo mix again. That **** is nasty...fake triple-sec flavoring and all.

Go and buy the cheap frozen concentrate lime-aid, ( or minute maid ) it's freaky-tasty for margaritas and usually only a buck. Just don't go crazy and add too much water. You have to try it, you'll never go back and its sooo cheap and easy. 1 big can will make a pitcher.TRY IT It may change your life. Let me know!

I totally appreciate the importance of the melted-ice to taste ratio. I like to start with a big pitcher batch that is bit too strong and little sour and let the melting ice make it perfect. Sweeeeet on the deck or even better on the beach.

MMMMMMMMM.

ds

Fresh lime juice margs are the best!! Here's another quick recipe:

1.5 to 2 parts tequila

1 part Cointreau

1 part fresh lime juice

If necessary add a splash of sprite to take off the edge.

I used about 12 medium limes for a bottle of tequila.

For the fresh lime juice use a basic manual citrus juicer that can be found at a kitchen store.

These things are potent. I'm still working off a hangover from the weekend. :o

Originally posted by dano

Jacko,

Thanks much for the Gran Gala tip. Now I can justify the cost of experimenting with better tequilla(s). I'll see what they have at

Kappy's. May even splurge for the some of the sipping variety.

See if they have El Tesoro Reposado. They may not yet, but if it's there, I'll bet it's wonderful and not too expensive like Patron. Otherwise, try Cuervo Tradicional or Herradura Reposado. Those two aren't quite sipping quality (eh, maybe on the rocks, but not straight like the good stuff) but they make smooth margs. If you want to try a good sipper, any El Tesoro or Don Julio is very nice. I personally am not interested in the silvers, I like the extra complexity in reposados and anejos.

1800 was so much smoother than the especiale or whatever standard Cuervo is called, that I never bothered experimenting.

Understandible. Didn't mean to come off like a prick, calling your drink of choice piss. But there really are much better bottles out there for not much more money.

Mix-wise, do yourself a huge favor and never buy Cuervo mix again. That **** is nasty...fake triple-sec flavoring and all.

Go and buy the cheap frozen concentrate lime-aid, ( or minute maid ) it's freaky-tasty for margaritas and usually only a buck. Just don't go crazy and add too much water. You have to try it, you'll never go back and its sooo cheap and easy. 1 big can will make a pitcher.TRY IT It may change your life. Let me know!

I will. I actually tried a marg made with Odwalla Limeade and it just didn't do it for me. Maybe I have been corrupted for too long by the Cuervo mix, because now to me that is what a marg is supposed to taste like. Although now I'm into Margaritaville mix because it's a little cheaper and tastes just as good if not better. On that mix I believe it says to add triple sec, so maybe there isn't any fake triple sec flavor in it...? I tried the fresh lime juice recipe Bob gave me, but all I could taste was the limes. I probably didn't do it right. Pat Donelly sent me a recipe that uses half limes and half lemons, I have to try that next.

In your limeade recipe, you say a half can of limeade, half can of tequila, half can of water..... does that mean a half can of straight limeade concentrate, or a half can of prepared limeade?

Another thing - while you're at Kappy's pick up a sixer of Leffe Blonde if you like good beer. You'll thank me later. Trust me!

Oh no! The mixed lime-aid is much too weak.

Just use the stuff straight out of the can.

I should revise the recipe to the pitcher version...

In a normal sized pitcher, put in

1 can of frozen concentrated lime-aid, ( 8oz? )

then use the same can to add...

1 can off tequilla ( or a bit more.... )

1/2 can of water ( a little more if it's cold outside or none if it's hot out.)

Add Healthy Splash of "good" OJ

Then fill the pitcher about 3/4 full with Ice and shake or spin.

Dump into jumbo margarita glass with a lime wedge, pour some Gran Gala on top and ENJOY.

My wifes favorite is a variant with 1/2 can frozen lime-aid and 1/2 can of frozen white grape juice concentrate. It's a little chicky but it does give you a great kiss of an aftertaste. Sort of like kissing a girl at a in Jr. high dance!

ds