Note to New Members ×

Spark Bindings?

Keenan

Just got these couple of days before the season ended. I'm going to use them for both splitboarding and resort carving. Initial impressions are looking good and I especially like how the ride height is lower than with F2 plate bindings. Here's a vid from my first test session:

Spark pucks don't allow steep angles though. Not a problem for me but alpine stance is not possible without modifying the pucks. I ride duck with them so doesn't concern me. With this setup I can use the same boots first for alpine carving and then switch to duck without having to change boots and also use the same bindings for splitboarding. Changing the bindings from one board to another is really quick with the quick release. However the system does have some play so I just put some tape there to make it tighter as a first aid.

The setup worked so well that I bought a set of approach skis from an end of the season sale so I can use them to tour up the hill and ride down with the Coiler CFR. You also need Spark Tech Toes and dual height wires for this setup and tech toes requires boots with tech inserts:

image.png

Edited by Xargo

The Spark binders are great! Super simple and preform great in all harsh conditions like icing and snow build-up. "I only ski up hill", you will need the tech toes and climbing wires as Xargo mentioned. Phantom has the best climbing wires IMO (I personally do not like the drop-over and rotate style of the phantom bindings, I stand upright when transitioning, AKA not crawling around in the snow, and the Spark binders work great for that! Pop open the gate and slide them off the pucks and into your pack for the uphill!!) I run this on my solid lap-sled as well split, with mellow angles 20˚ Front and 12˚ Back on a super wide 29.8 waist width Donek Hazelwood. 

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_8695.JPEG

IMG_8735.JPEG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

On 6/2/2023 at 4:06 PM, Xargo said:

Spark pucks don't allow steep angles though. Not a problem for me but alpine stance is not possible without modifying the pucks.

Do you have any details about the limitations on the angles? Looking at the info available on the website and the setup video here, it's not really clear what angles are possible.

Thanks!  

On 9/3/2023 at 11:36 PM, lafcadio said:

Do you have any details about the limitations on the angles?

From -12 to +30 and it looks to me that with some modifications you could go a bit higher. With solid pucks I mean. I'm not 100% sure but I think you can rotate them 180deg to get -30 to +12 so you can get more than +12 for you back foot (since the pucks are mirrored). I'm using -21/+21 so I haven't done that.

Either way, more than 30 is not possible without modifications.

Splitboard pucks are different and I don't have those at hand to check (but I do use Spark pucks with my splitboard). The video you linked to is showing splitboard pucks and you can't use those directly for a solid board.

Edited by Xargo
  • Like 1

Thank you! I heard from the folks at Spark R&D who also confirmed 30 degrees. I was also informed that the Spark Dyno HD bindings are compatible with Voile pucks for higher angles. If I can’t find a comfortable binding angle using the Spark pucks I’ll try using them with Voile canted pucks. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have the voile canted pucks, could get to maybe 35* on the front with the voile slider, I got 42^ front by slightly offsetting the toe and heel on the slider with an old binding.to get the stance width I like +/-20" I have to use the voile STS toe pieces because the dynafit style front lever is in the way,

Like my old setup

spacer.png

• Like 2