Note to New Members ×

Cross under technique questions

Hug Masso

Hello fellow carvers.

New user first message here.

I am on my 10-11th day riding hard boots after several years in softies. I ride in the pyrinees (I am from Barcelona) so quite steep, icy and fairly narrow slopes in my go-to resorts. I am progressing quite well going solo and manage to go down black and red runs in decent form. I am lately specifically quite interested in manage short turns in steep and variable terrain, and find myself doing the basic crossover at edge changes, which is the technique that has come to me “by first intuition”. I have gathered some information regarding cross under which seems adequate for gaining that extra bit of turning agility which is very much needed to ride with some comfort when steep. As I understand, a mid unweighting (hoping a bit bringing my knees to my chest) would be the ideal cross under in order to hop into the downhill edge, but have also seen some carvers being able to pop at the end of the turn and changing edges while on air. Both techniques are still difficult for me, especially the pop at the end of the turn which I don’t seem to be able to do, or doesnt come naturally, even less so after heel side turn. Could you please give me some advice for both techniques (body position, fore aft pressure, extension or flexion etc?) so I can do some drills and progress in that direction? 

BTW I am 87 kg, 1,84 metres, and riding a F2 Silberpfeil Vantage 163 cm and 22 waist. Using Deeluxe Track 700, and F2 Intec bindings,all bought second hand as first kit into hardbooting (I have no feel that I need anything better at this point) and convinced I can go a long way with my equipment. I ride goofy, +55, +50 given my 29 MP feet. 

Thank you!

Static: Get low by flexing the legs, imagine a low ceiling above your head, that you cannot go through. Get board on the edge and extend the legs to bring your body inside the "turn", then retract and roll onto new edge, without getting up. 

Find some rollers on not so difficult terrain, or next to the jumps in the park, ride over them without getting air - absorb the pressure they create going up with your knees, then extend your legs on the other side to keep the board on the snow. When you get comfy with that, start changing the edge right at the top of the roller. 

Next, carve "virtual rollers", where you change the edge in compact/flexed position. Legs are long at 3 and 9 o'clock, short at 12/6. 

By timing and dosing the extension/retraction, you can equalize the forces through the turn, or create some spike for edge change in the air. 

Combine the above with movement of the board on edge, back to front as progressing through the turn. More edge hold and tighter turn can be created, but also the tail can be loaded at the end of the turn to give you some pop into the next. 

Edited by BlueB
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, BlueB said:

Static: Get low by flexing the legs, imagine a low ceiling above your head, that you cannot go through. Get board on the edge and extend the legs to bring your body inside the "turn", then retract and roll onto new edge, without getting up. 

Find some rollers on not so difficult terrain, or next to the jumps in the park, ride over them without getting air - absorb the pressure they create going up with your knees, then extend your legs on the other side to keep the board on the snow. When you get comfy with that, start changing the edge right at the top of the roller. 

Next, carve "virtual rollers", where you change the edge in compact/flexed position. Legs are long at 3 and 9 o'clock, short at 12/6. 

By timing and dosing the extension/retraction, you can equalize the forces through the turn, or create some spike for edge change in the air. 

Combine the above with movement of the board on edge, back to front as progressing through the turn. More edge hold and tighter turn can be created, but also the tail can be loaded at the end of the turn to give you so 

Thank you @BlueB for your fast reply. Please let me ask you back. When you mean “static” I dont understand what you mean. Like being absolutely static on a flat terrain? Sorry but I dont get it. 

Also, I had the belief that it was the whole board that needed to be decambered to make it pop. What does load the tail mean, what effect does it create and how can I achieve it?

Finally, on the roller drill, I was convinced that in order to jump to another edge, you have to phisically get some air, How could you not? Sorry my english is non native.

Adittionally, what is best as in what is more efficient? Jump to change edges or retract legs? Maybe I am confusing it all up a bit..

Thank you

Static - standing still, on flat. 

Load tail - bend tail at the end of the turn. Push the board under your body, forward, in the last part of the turn. 

You don't need to jump to change edge, just roll it. But you can do the airborne edge change if you wanted. 

IMO, it's more efficient to retract the legs.  However, it depends what you want to achieve and situation. 

How about posting a video of your riding. You'd get lots of comments/suggestions, from our friendly community. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BlueB said:

Static - standing still, on flat. 

Load tail - bend tail at the end of the turn. Push the board under your body, forward, in the last part of the turn. 

You don't need to jump to change edge, just roll it. But you can do the airborne edge change if you wanted. 

IMO, it's more efficient to retract the legs.  However, it depends what you want to achieve and situation. 

How about posting a video of your riding. You'd get lots of comments/suggestions, from our friendly community. 

Perfectly clear! Thank you very much. Yes indeed I will send a video (it probably has to be a link to youtube or sth similar) as soon as I have one. 

😊👍

Hug

Oh that tiny bit I missed, you mean push the board forward from under me, so put most weight in the tail and the by rolling getting the board to jump a bit onto new edge, why I reposition myself more in front of the board, while rolling or once the board is set onte new edge?

22 hours ago, Hug Masso said:

I ride in the pyrinees (I am from Barcelona) so quite steep, icy and fairly narrow slopes in my go-to resorts.

Hi Hug,

Welcome on the forum !..... probably the best place on the internet with tons of infos and kind people with the same passion ready to help you....

We're nearly neighbours.......I work as a snowboard instructor in Grandvalira in Andorra so I'm pretty sure you've already heard about it or already came there....You may go of course in some other resort around, but if you come in Andorra one day and maybe need to share some advice, don't hesitate.....you'll find me at the Pas de la Casa Ski and Snowboard School.  Carve On !...🤙

Rodolphe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoroSnow said:

Hi Hug,

Welcome on the forum !..... probably the best place on the internet with tons of infos and kind people with the same passion ready to help you....

We're nearly neighbours.......I work as a snowboard instructor in Grandvalira in Andorra so I'm pretty sure you've already heard about it or already came there....You may go of course in some other resort around, but if you come in Andorra one day and maybe need to share some advice, don't hesitate.....you'll find me at the Pas de la Casa Ski and Snowboard School.  Carve On !...🤙

Rodolphe.

Hello Rodolphe, indeed I will be in GrandValira the 18th and 19th of march, so If you want to meet me (I understand you ride on hardboots in your leisure time since for teaching purposes you may find yourself in soft boots) please tell me and I will make sure to have you contact number and so on. 

That is, if that hot weather wave coming now will not melt all snow in a matter of days...

Hope to hear from you, cheers

• Like 1