Note to New Members ×

MS .951 fitting issues

fumbimo

I haven't been able to solve heel lift in my .951's and i'm not sure where to go from here. im in a c shell, stock liner.

I've been trying variations of adhesive foam j-bars on the liner but as I've started to wear it in I'm now at the point where im maxing out the ankle buckle and still having some heel slop.

I'm no where near maxing out any of the other buckles, i usually have the toe buckle on the 2nd notch. I've already had the toe box widened on both boots.

I'm open to the idea of new liners but i don't really know where to start with this. also concerned higher volume liners will be too cramped in the toe box area.

I threw in the ZipFit GFT liner in my .951s (also C shell, m28 foot, lots of punches on the forefoot for extra space). I have a little bit of heel lift left, but the nice thing about these liners is that you can inject cork into it to keep things snug, and the cork moves around nicely to alleviate pressure points. Very thin and stretchy toebox, also not the warmest.

I noticed that injecting cork into the liner tongue made a huge difference, and I also insert little foam pads just under the shell tongues to reduce volume even more for my low instep.

And while I have nothing but praise for ZipFit liner comfort, the GFT model quickly tore in the back, just above the heel. I ended up applying a very large amount of superglue to keep it together, and it has been fine since then.

If you have really small heels, maybe look at some of their higher volume liners, which are quite sturdy and come with more cork in the liners. All of the ZipFit liners seem to have a very thin and stretchy neoprene toebox. Warmth is also not as good compared to foam liners, I resolve this with temporary little heating packets on my toes for cold days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jarcode said:

And while I have nothing but praise for ZipFit liner comfort, the GFT model quickly tore in the back, just above the heel. I ended up applying a very large amount of superglue to keep it together, and it has been fine since then.

any particular reason for this liner failure?

was that due to inserting the liner into the shell while on feet?

I was thinking of getting boot horn for easy entry with liners on

7 hours ago, slapos said:

any particular reason for this liner failure?

was that due to inserting the liner into the shell while on feet?

I was thinking of getting boot horn for easy entry with liners on

From what I can tell, the seams along the rear "spine" of the liner just need to be improved. I believe it was caused by just putting my foot in the liner, and the liner flexing in the boot while riding. It's a new model by ZipFit, so I expect that this should be improved in the future. I can take a picture later.

• Like 1

I have the same issue, although it’s only a little heel lift. Also slamming down the instep but the ankle buckle is 2 and toe and calf buckles are 1.

As a separate aside, I’m also struggling with the liner tongue, which keeps sliding down slightly as I ride and bunching on top of the foot where it connects with the Velcro, and otherwise seems to work itself out on top of the lower liner underneath the shell from time to time.

My old Dalbello Krypton Pros have an extremely similar shell structure (which is why racers tried using them as Northwaves replacements way back when), but they are a little tighter at the top of the instep/ankle where that middle buckle clamps down and I didn’t get as much heel lift. However, I also used an Intuition wrap liner with them, which likely has a bit more material in that area. 

The likely best answer is a custom-injected liner to fill that gap appropriately. Also pretty pricey.

In the meantime I’m looking at sticking some thin adhesive material underneath the plastic tongue right in that high-instep area, to try and see if that helps fill up some space and clamp my heel down a bit more. 

• Thanks 1

I love my Gara stealth liners in my 951 d shell. But that wasn't without some tinkering. I ended up needing to remove some material in the back heel due to a heel spur and then had my boot fitter put another tube of cork in the heel but that still wasn't enough so I found these

https://patriotfootbeds.com/products/liner-sleeve 

And put foam j bars and some foam along my upper Achilles and now the heel is solid. I recommend the liner sleeves with strategically placed foam, huge improvement. 

• Like 2