Note to New Members ×

Snowboard geometry

JohnE

In isolation, those are pretty self explanitory. The joy of confusion comes in mixing the attributes, along with layup, camber profile and sprinkled with riding style. Change any one thing it's a different board. Change any few things and well... that's why there a million and three snowboard designs.

So the long answer is yes, but it depends.

Do you have a specific use question? Folks might be more able to help with that more than "tell me about snowboard design variables".

Edited by Mr.E

It's an old article, but I guess the part about the design variables is still valid. Just ignore the parts about boards and manufacturers. The view from 15 years ago is likely to be too outdated.

I'd like to add that width of the board more or less defines the minimal binding angles. On high angles you have to bend your waist sideways to turn. On skwal bowing forward will just move you weight along the board. However it doesn't take too long to adapt. And I'm talking about really high angles here (well over 70).

16 hours ago, JohnE said:

Does anyone know (for sure) the tradeoffs between:

1) Longer -vs- shorter board

2) Wider -vs- narrower board

3) Longer -vs- shorter sidecut radius

4) Stiffer -vs- softer board

Generally speaking:

Longer boards are usually more stable and better at higher speeds, and used with longer sidecuts.  Shorter boards are more nimble and able to change direction more quickly.

Wider boards are better for bigger feet.  Narrower boards are better for smaller feet, quicker edge-to-edge, and better if you like high binding angles.  Personally I don't think edge-to-edge quickness is a big deal, and it is worth noting that World Cup SL and GS boards are the same width.

Longer radius carves longer and can carve at higher speed.  Shorter radius carves shorter and has a lower speed limit for carving.  More on that here.  Shorter radii are better for steep icy slopes where you want to get the turn around in a smaller space while keeping speed down.  Longer radii are better for high speeds, and cruising on less steep slopes.

The stiffness of the board supports your weight and the forces of the carve.  Boards that are too stiff for their sidecut and your weight will be more difficult to carve.  Boards that are too soft will fold or lose edge hold or turn too short.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2