Note to New Members ×

Legends of Snowboard Race/ Donner Ski Ranch / Galleries are up!!!

Here are some photos from the recent "Legends of Snowboarding" race held at Donner Ski Ranch. The link takes you to one of three. Click on "Return to Photo Archives" link , then look for the other two on the left side navigation bar. I know it should be easier than that. I just have not had time to build a new gallery home page to include all the new galleries recently created. This is what forced me to turn around shortly after returning from the "SES Road Trip" and head back south. Sure glad I did. everyone was VERY kind and conditions were excellent. Enjoy. Bryan

Legends of Snowboarding Race Galleries

Mike Jacoby can't help but style!! Yep, I am the kook one gate back. He is on a Sims 1710 Blade and I am on a 1711 Blade.

Yes, Mike along with many other key Burton Riders actually started with Sims. Including CK. Tom Sims was also a champion in the early days. There was a time when "Team Sims" owned most of the snowboarding titles. I personally started on a Burton but switched to the more advanced , more technically sophisticated Sims snowboards back in the day.

Thanks, I was given that jacket on the earilier road trip while visiting another collector in SLC. Jack , did you happen to notice the hat Mike is wearing?? Identical to the one your buddy has on in your recent photo of "Team Burton" circa 1990 you recently posted.

Originally posted by www.oldsnowboards.com

I personally started on a Burton but switched to the more advanced , more technically sophisticated Sims snowboards back in the day.

Same here. My wood-cored 1710 Blade kicked butt over anything Burton was making at the time. Those Sims bindings also worked way better than the Fastex/webbing Burton monstrosities of the day.

Tina Basich looks great in those pictures - is she still riding? I noted lots of stuff with her brother in that latest Snowboard Journal.

Like I wasn't hauling enough frickin boards around with me last trip!!! Actually Jack , had I had more time I would have loved to be a part of some sort of "Vintage Race" or display. You young pups typically have no understanding from whence we came. A few runs on a skifer will bring most any hot rod to his knees. Example. Bill Olsen and Jeff Grell both road boards IN COMPETITION that did not have p-tex or metal edges!!! Can you say "Scary, Chinese downhill" One was a Burton Backhill Roundtail from 81. SWEET!! It was strange for a collector to see these guys throwing down vintage boards and scraping snow off on boards that would net over a grand in the collectors circles. They were there to ride with old friends on their old boards and it was awesome!! I believe it is only a matter of time before organized races on vintage boards will be common place. Making something like this a part of any alpine event is absolutely a natural. SES or ESES would be just that much better for it. Look at the "Limbo". I really had no plans to be a part of that. However, when Mike , Chris and I pulled up from a run to see it about to start. Mike was into it and sucked us all into it. It was a blast. Low Key, funny, and simply allot of fun. I see the "Vintage Alpine Races" in some what the same light. However , I think guys would eventually take it more seriously. Hey, the clothes, accessories. Just think how fun it would be to look so goofy re-living the history of snowboarding!! Yes, it will happen, we as a group will decide when. Remember then guys from Hardbooter had a really pretty serious selection of vintage race boards. I was impressed they had gone to the effort. I am only sorry we didn't get a dozen or so guys out rippin around on them!! Shred-Daily!!Bryan

Originally posted by Bob Jenney

DAMN! Sold my Blade 1710 about a year ago.

FOOL!!

Would've been fun to ride a board with nearly NO sidecut again.

Burton Safari Comp II: 165cm, 135cm running length, 16m sidecut, 26.7cm waist.

Oldest board I have now is a '92 FP Asym 68.

First year of the FP was 95, and I don't recall an asym 68.....?

I may be up for some vintage boarding at the ECES! (although it will be hard to take time away from riding the Coiler)

I have a Safari that I still use when I'm sledding with the kids, and may even consider taking out the Snurfer, Skifer or Backhill if I'm in the right mood. "Chinese Downhill" is the right phrase if your riding a Backhill on hardpack.

I'm going to eat salad for the next 8 months so I can fit into the old woolies.

MT

• 3 months later...

Hey Pat. by all means give it a go!. Expect to land hard and often. They don't turn very well under most conditions. Like the "Limbo" contest , it would be fun to have a contest at SES 2006 to see how far anyone can get on a Snurfer. Worth some laughs for sure! Some of the pioneers at the "Legends" race showed us all it could be done. Jeff Grell was excellent at

staying up and riding it out on a very early Skifer made by "Flite".

Video to follow some day.

http://www.oldsnowboards.com/bryan_legends_race/pages/IMG_0012.htm