Note to New Members ×

Carve enthusiast who wants to try 3rd strap binding?

jason100

Thanks to scottishsurfer for suggestion about reaching out to any carve enthusiast, not just hardbooters.  

After some manufacturing delays and weather snafus, I hope to travel ASAP, probably Sunday through Thurs (3/13-3/17) with this 3rd strap binding to either the Rockies….or in the eastern US (I am in Chicago, so easy flights).

If you are an experienced rider that can really carve (either HB or SB) and are interested in trying out a 3rd strap binding concept that is compatible with softboots, let’s coordinate schedules, make some fun turns, and share some feedback.

NOTE; this is a Proof of Concept.  Meaning that it is not pretty, overbuilt for safety, and can be difficult to get strapped into.  It is, however, fully adjustable and will fit most riders/boots/stances/boards (approx. 19 – 29 cm waist).    

Thank you, Jason

461085839_wfootbedandboot.jpg.fd5228d0852f5a1a9968ac5627868c2a.jpg

1992109235_woutfootbed.jpg.ae6942749690871542bef5d841e45f07.jpg

Full boring explanation here if you care;

47 minutes ago, David Kirk said:

I'm curious - what is the design aim for your new idea? What is the advantage of your idea over a traditional highback binding with a 3rd strap?

Hi Dave,

When compared with a traditional highback with a 3rd strap, this binding has a few advantages (for me anyway, based on my own test rides).

1. comfort - because it allows some fore/aft (tip/tail) freedom of moment, the ride gets more comfortable, allowing legs the ability to move a bit according to my own anatomy, i guess.  Example; bow-legged person vs non-bow-legged.  This is especially noticeable when angles begin to steepen with this binding.  Further, for me, on narrower boards it allows softies to work (I had a tough time getting comfort in HBs).
  2. power to the edge - because the highback (and the axis of the ankle pivot) is always purposefully aligned in relation to the board, not in relation to the foot, the rider can then deliver the power to the right place on both toe and heelside carves.  Meaning....with traditional highbacks, as my angles got steeper (typically over 15-20 deg.), I felt that the highback didn't seem to be in the right place, especially on heelside carves.  This relates to the comfort aspect above also.
  3. versatility - coupled with softboots, compatibility with all boards regardless of their width
  4. weight transfer - someone much smarter than me talks about the shifting of body weight from carve initiation to completion.  The fore/aft freedom helps with this, i guess in theory, although I cannot really comment on how that works/helps.
  5. the highback falls out of the way for riding lifts and for storage (maybe not an advantage....I believe a traditional highback with 3rd strap could fold pretty easily too).

Even though these things are true for me, they may not be for other riders.  Like spending time climbing up the ladder, but later realizing that the ladder is against the wrong wall.  

The next version will have about 75% less bulk so will hopefully appeal to the eye a bit more.

J.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jason100 said:

Hi Dave,

When compared with a traditional highback with a 3rd strap, this binding has a few advantages (for me anyway, based on my own test rides).

1. comfort - because it allows some fore/aft (tip/tail) freedom of moment, the ride gets more comfortable, allowing legs the ability to move a bit according to my own anatomy, i guess.  Example; bow-legged person vs non-bow-legged.  This is especially noticeable when angles begin to steepen with this binding.  Further, for me, on narrower boards it allows softies to work (I had a tough time getting comfort in HBs).
  2. power to the edge - because the highback (and the axis of the ankle pivot) is always purposefully aligned in relation to the board, not in relation to the foot, the rider can then deliver the power to the right place on both toe and heelside carves.  Meaning....with traditional highbacks, as my angles got steeper (typically over 15-20 deg.), I felt that the highback didn't seem to be in the right place, especially on heelside carves.  This relates to the comfort aspect above also.
  3. versatility - coupled with softboots, compatibility with all boards regardless of their width
  4. weight transfer - someone much smarter than me talks about the shifting of body weight from carve initiation to completion.  The fore/aft freedom helps with this, i guess in theory, although I cannot really comment on how that works/helps.
  5. the highback falls out of the way for riding lifts and for storage (maybe not an advantage....I believe a traditional highback with 3rd strap could fold pretty easily too).

Even though these things are true for me, they may not be for other riders.  Like spending time climbing up the ladder, but later realizing that the ladder is against the wrong wall.  

The next version will have about 75% less bulk so will hopefully appeal to the eye a bit more.

J.

When I was a kid riding in soft boots we used to take out Burton 3 buckle bindings and modify way the highback attached to the baseplate to allow it to move sideways...it was fixed in the center/back and the sides could go up/down. It worked pretty well but I gave up on it about 30 years ago when i switched to hard boots.

Keep working it!

dave