Note to New Members ×

Carving in Utah in May?

Guest Pepe Le Pew

Guest Pepe Le Pew

It looks like I'm going to be in Provo on May 2nd.

I thought I'd check out some local resorts during that week-end.

I called Park City yesterday and they said they were closing that day :(

But they also said that Snowbird is typically the last place to close.

Is it gonna be worth it? What's the snow like over there?

Eric

Howz' it?

The bird will be open for a long time this year, but as always it can be hit or miss, depending on the weather pattern, the grooming, and your level of understanding! I would say the snow may be a bit soft for your liking but it is still snow and can be a blast on Hardboots. This time of year I trade in my Indys for some soft boots and go for a walk, But when I go to the bird late season I always give the hard setup a try, but most of the time I end up on the soft set up when the sun starts to "soften" (more then already) tyhe snow up!

Kevin McDoogell is for sure the local Bird guy I would try to get some info out of him.

Sorry for Hacking Kevins last name but I am just a bad spellerr!

Guest Digger

Eric, Billy got the weather conditions about right. There is a ton of snow at Snowbird, but it can also get rather warm. It's forcasted to be 50-50 degrees at 8800' today. Then if it cools off the freeze can make it brutal the next day. Usually a softening period for a couple hours were it okay for a couple hours. Also we could still get another shot of snow and improve things. Snowbird also goes to a weekend only schedule, but not sure on the date - I think its May 7th??? I'll be around, so call me before you leave Seattle and I'll give you an update on conditions. It would be great if we could ride together some. We have a extra bedroom if you need a place to stay, love to have ya. Call me - Kevin.

801-943-2273

PS - Yea, Billy you butchered my last name but I forgive you anyway...

Guest Pepe Le Pew

Hi Bordy, it's been my shortest season since I'm in the PacNW. It's been pretty lame up here. Some local resorts reopened but I haven't been out since SES...

I could use couple days in Utah.

Kevin, I might take you up on your offer! Thanks!

I'll make final travel arrangements within a week and will let you know. Temperatures seem to vary pretty widely. What's the altitude at the bottom?

Eric

Guest Digger

Eric, the bottom of the tram is at 8000'. I'm leaving town for a week this morning. I'll be back on the 21st, call me after that and I will have an update on conditions.Here is a link to a good site for the Cottonwood Canyons forecast. The Alta Guard station is at about 8800'

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/projects/mtnwx/cottonwoodForecast.php

Kevin

Guest Pepe Le Pew

I almost went to Stevens last Sunday. I feared it would be overcrowded and soft. Couple friends (skiers) are considering next Sunday. I might give it a shot. The worst part is getting up early enough to be on the slopes at 9am...

Eric

Guest Pepe Le Pew

I ended up going to Stevens today. It was actually pretty good. A little crunchy at 9AM although it was alright where the grooming was decent. Then we had about 3h of very carvable snow.

A good surprise overall.

I believe I saw couple carvers from the lift but we never hooked up.

Eric

Guest Pepe Le Pew

Sounds interesting but it's pretty short notice to hook up.

Anyway, I was told that they had $32 one-day tickets for people who have a season pass from anywhere... That's pretty cheap.

I can't believe I'll be there tomorrow!

Eric

Salty Peaks has them for $29.00 tram /chair...but that's kind of out of the way if you're coming from Provo & they don't open till 11...If you're coming straight from the airport it's not too far out of the way & they have some great old boards to look at...My passes are $15.00 a day, but it's chair only...it's a 10 ride pass that has 3 left & I have 2 passes & I'm 5 mins. from the canyon, so let me know..... there was about 6" of new at the top, kind of windy... a fun powder/crud day. I took one run on the speedster & switched to an allMt...7 runs & was at work by 10:45...have a blast, Pete

Guest Pepe Le Pew

I had a good time with Kevin. Snowbird is pretty cool when you can see where you're going. On Saturday morning, visibility was so poor that I fell couple times from vertigo! It cleared up around 2PM and I discovered the mountain then. The snow was really soft by that time though.

But the night was clear and this Regulator run was a blast on Sunday morning. Nice pitch! It got sticky around 1PM but we had a few really nice runs. Perfect for EC training in my opinion.

I managed to get couple hours on the slopes on Monday. Clouds coming from Mineral Basin spoiled Regulator. Also, only half of the run was groomed and the sticky stuff from Sunday didn't do well under the snowcats. After 3 runs, the bottom was covered with little ice pellets. And to top it all, gates were being installed.

The bottom of the mountain got softer earlier than the previous days though, and even though it was a lot of work, it was worth it.

Peter, I really needed full passes to stick with Kevin. I didn't need to get of my way for their $32 deal ($30 on Monday). But thanks anyway.

Eric