Note to New Members ×

[OT?] Seven levels of surfing soul

Vahur

Take the red pill and you’ll discover that 99.9% of the people on any forum are QuiverBaiters (Rich Amateurs at the best), whether you want it or not. No mater the forum, alpine, racing, car mods, photography, paintball.. pick one, it’s all the same… A bad dancer blames his balls...

Or you can take the blue pill, stay in the wonderland where the skill is a function of the amount spent on the equipment and you can keep enjoying and sucking your boards, bindings and boots from all possible angles...

Good luck!

I am definitely a weekender by their definitions.

I dunno - the hardbooting world seems to have fewer quiverbaiters and more weekenders... if you were really into trying to prove how cool you were based on your image, you'd be one of the gawkers sitting at the top of the halfpipe watching all the talented freestylers drop in while pretending that you're still waiting for your turn...

Originally posted by kjl

I dunno - the hardbooting world seems to have fewer quiverbaiters and more weekenders...

You've clearly never been to bomberonline.com.

Oops! :D

Originally posted by kjl

if you were really into trying to prove how cool you were based on your image, you'd be one of the gawkers sitting at the top of the halfpipe watching all the talented freestylers drop in while pretending that you're still waiting for your turn...

Either that, or you'd be posting on a web forum, critiquing style as if it were technique, buying boards like there's no tomorrow, riding boards that are way too long, and maybe even offering up a judged "carving contest" with a $1000 cash prize.

Guest thomas_m

I'm surprised not one recognized it. I first put it up about 2 years ago.

Please read my author's statement. I get enough hatemail from that silly piece as it is.

FWIW, I'm a weekender with a fair amount of Quiverbaiting going on.

T.

Great post, Thomas! I saw lots of Rich Ameteurs of the skiing kind today at Meadows. It was like opening day or something by the way people were acting today. I could ramble on about it.

I hope to reach the Soul Surfer statis, but I probably wouldn't know it if I did. lol

Originally posted by alexeyga

At least somebody is honest enough to admit that... But on the other hand, f#$k it! We live only once... :-)

I'm back down to three board my RC a 150 Sl deck for my wife to learn on and my Flite which is gonna be wall mounted next year. I'mm gonna get on the Coiler list for 07 thoughI'm not sure if it'll be for one or two boards I want to get my wife an 159AM and I "want" 169AM but that one is tentative because I have no idea how well the RC will be on the Ice Coast though I'm assuming it's great

Seven Levels...Surfing Soul... thomas m? Huh.

I had a real LONG response to that piece, but held it back. And, yep, I read the "Author's note". I grew up riding breaks all along San Diego No. County coastal - including Cardiff and Swami's. Seen that place going off when nothing else in the area was even working - so maybe occasionally "knee-high watery mush", but rarely!

Come from very strong surfing roots as a Native So. Cal. dude. Have family that currently lives in Carlsbad that are VERY committed to the sport. Definitely some parallels with the snowboard world - so I'll just say that a "kernel of truth" was gleaned to be sure, but much of it, well...interesting:cool:

Originally posted by Kirk

Seven Levels...Surfing Soul... thomas m? Huh.

I had a real LONG response to that piece, but held it back. And, yep, I read the "Author's note". I grew up riding breaks all along San Diego No. County coastal - including Cardiff and Swami's. Seen that place going off when nothing else in the area was even working - so maybe occasionally "knee-high watery mush", but rarely!

I grew up surfing San Elijo as a grom in the 70s and then later in the 80-90's before moving to the tropics I absolutly love that bowl.

Originally posted by mirror70

Either that, or you'd be posting on a web forum, critiquing style as if it were technique, buying boards like there's no tomorrow, riding boards that are way too long, and maybe even offering up a judged "carving contest" with a $1000 cash prize.

Hmm... point taken. Maybe my brain filters out most of the noise, then, so I only notice the weekender chatter :)

--

Ken

Guest stoked

this all sounds good to me although about wave-human unity Monstro says:

"That's bull****. Merge with the wave and become one, Christ. It's the wave and you're the rider. They're different. You stand up on your board and you <i>ride</i> the wave. You try to stay on top. You have to stand up, crouch for action, and go for it. You've got to see the wave and ride it. Not be part of it. You got to be you. And you have to be a damn quick and excellent you. You're not the wave!"

(from the novel "Stoked!" by Bill Morris)

Originally posted by kjl

I dunno - the hardbooting world seems to have fewer quiverbaiters and more weekenders... if you were really into trying to prove how cool you were based on your image, you'd be one of the gawkers sitting at the top of the halfpipe watching all the talented freestylers drop in while pretending that you're still waiting for your turn...

Read the definitions more carefully... you are definitely an amateur... I remember you mentioning that you took like 2 weeks off in December to ride continuously... On the flip side, you gotta be kidding me if you don't see a fair number of quiverbaiters and rich amateurs on online forums in general (not just BOL or TC).

Anyways, I think the overall point of the article is silly. I mean I agree that quiverbaiters and rich amateurs are annoying... but at the same time I think anyone who would actually considering themselves "one with the wave" or the mountain or whatever in a true spiritual sense to be almost as bad. If an instructor tells you to be "one with you board" to help you visualize and improve you riding ability and that's one thing... but to actually think you are spiritually bonded to your board or the mountain... that's a little far fetched for my overly-rational mind. Sounds like people who just want to pretend like they are more hardcore or soulful, or whatever (I remember someone telling me about he was one of the first people to ride the double chair at Kirkwood and how he did 99 steps when it was 2001 steps, etc...). For me there is no clear cut way to judge a person based on rules or anything... some people just talk in a modest, sincere way about the stuff and you are like "this guy is a guru" and some people just spout junk and you are like "this guy is..." I shouldn't be gender-biased I remember riding up the gondola with this lady at Stratton who poo-poo'd the Vermont snow and said how Jackson Hole and Sun Valley, and Telluride were much better... and then proceeded to snow plow down the mountain.

Coming from the freestyle world (and I mean that in the more basic sense since I did spend a lot of my time in the park when I was younger, that doesn't mean I got incredibly good at it or was ever considered cool), we call people who sit on the pipe with all the latest gear and looking cool poseurs (sp?) I remember being incredibly disappointed when I was a teenager to find out that a lot of the salesman at the local shop I went to talking the talk and walking the walk at were . Of course I doubt anyone on BOL would even try to pretend to have "street cred" so there aren't any poseurs here really (in the hip-freestyle sense).

Guest thomas_m
Originally posted by lonerider

Anyways, I think the overall point of the article is silly.

That's because you didn't get the point... The point of this asininely silly joke of an article was that it makes no sense trying to put surfers (or snowboarders, or people) into boxes. We all (hopefully) have some soul to offset oor quiverbaiting tendencies.

Most of the jabs at rich amateurs and quiverbaiters are me making fun of myself and some friends, although none of us are anywhere near being rich, just older guys who like to surf and like to use nice gear, drink good wine, listen to high-end audio, ad infinitum. I do, however, think contest surfing is idiotic. Given a chance, I'd love to be a surfing media whore for a while.

But Jeezus... I don't think you guys would take it so seriously if you didn't think YOU were somehow being made fun of. So maybe there's some global truth there after all. Especially on internet forums...

I get web hits from all over the world for that damn article. I'm going to have to take revenge on Ken R. sometime for linking it over on his page too.

Thomas (the author of the stupid thing)

Originally posted by thomas_m

That's because you didn't get the point... The point of this asininely silly joke of an article was that it makes no sense trying to put surfers (or snowboarders, or people) into boxes. We all (hopefully) have some soul to offset oor quiverbaiting tendencies.

Most of the jabs at rich amateurs and quiverbaiters are me making fun of myself and some friends, although none of us are anywhere near being rich, just older guys who like to surf and like to use nice gear, drink good wine, listen to high-end audio, ad infinitum. I do, however, think contest surfing is idiotic. Given a chance, I'd love to be a surfing media whore for a while.

But Jeezus... I don't think you guys would take it so seriously if you didn't think YOU were somehow being made fun of. So maybe there's some global truth there after all. Especially on internet forums...

Oh I see, that makes sense. I didn't realize the article was intentionally a satire..

I'm definitely a bit excessive in my board collection with three snowboards and only twenty five days a season. You know - I personally hate the term "quiver." It's actually one of my personal fears to be one of "those people" (i.e. rich amateurs/quiverbaiter) after being so used to being a starving poor student riding only one board all the time for years.

My friends obviously tease me about owning so many boards... but it's ok. I like to snowboard, and it's fun to try new boards every once in a while and since I actually have a job now I figure I can indulge myself a little.

I guess it should be all about balance, moderation, and common sense.

Originally posted by lonerider

Read the definitions more carefully... you are definitely an amateur... I remember you mentioning that you took like 2 weeks off in December to ride continuously...

Yeah, you may be right. It was 2 weeks in december and 3 weeks in Feb in CO. Last year I think it was 2 weeks in dec and 4 weeks in Feb. I'm definitely not a quiverbaiter because even though I have lots of boars, I only ride one ;) Well, two now that I have a powder board. :D

Can't wait for Saturday. Time to break out the carving board again!

Originally posted by kjl

Yeah, you may be right. It was 2 weeks in december and 3 weeks in Feb in CO. Last year I think it was 2 weeks in dec and 4 weeks in Feb. I'm definitely not a quiverbaiter because even though I have lots of boars, I only ride one ;) Well, two now that I have a powder board. :D

Can't wait for Saturday. Time to break out the carving board again!

Sweet! My season is over now, but I did get to finish it off with 18" of fresh snow last weekend. Did some hiking for fresh steep powder lines in the morning with the Donek Phoenix I was demo'ing, and then did laps for some carving runs on my Madd (actually took it into the park and hit the 18' ft quarterpipe with it... only got 1-2' out of the pipe since I only had two runs before they closed it for a contest).

Hehe... after all that talk about quiverbaiters... I shall now go into board-talk. I thought I was out... was going to sell off a board and go down to three boards. Actually the Donek Phoenix did good enough in the powder that I'm might consider selling the Burton Fish in addition to my Donek Incline. Then I would have had TWO boards total... one freeride, one alpine... had someone not put up a Oxygen Proton 165GS on sale for super cheap. Oh well... should be an interesting ride... otherwise I'll sell it off to someone on TC next season.