Note to New Members ×

Fooling around with angles

BlueB

Another beautiful day at Cypress.

Some rain over a week old snowpack, and good grooming made it for perfect morning hardpack. Not crowded either on steeper blues - not good for side-slipping crowds ;) By 10:30am it was a bit chopped up, and by lunch time it softened up, and I called it a day.

I fooled a bit with binding angles. My toe side initiation was still difficult with 60f/57r, so I tried dropping the front angle to 57 too. Easier, but more nose chatter (just like before when I tried this combination). Later on I tried 54f/54r (very small overhang on front foot) which was powerful and easy to initiate, but still with a bit of nose chatter. Tomorrow I'll try 57f/54r as mid-solution, and maybe 1/2' wider stance... Looking forward to it.

Boris

... you are using a 44 cm stance width. How tall are you and what's your inseam? My wife is 5'2" (157 cm) in height and she uses a 44 cm stance width on plates, 47 cm on soft boots, both stances were chosen with help from professionals. If you've got longer legs than my wife, perhaps widening the stance might help you? I am 5'10" (177 cm) and I've widened my stance from around 46 cm to to 50 cm on my shorter boards and 52 cm on my longer boards. The net result has been more stability, more power and more comfort.

Thanks for input, Mike.

I'm 181cm, inseam 32". Softies I ride at about 49cm. It felt too wide when I switched to hard boots (keep in mind they are ski boots), so I started riding 44cm. Now, it is more like 45.

This board has its maximum at about 47.5cm, but quite a set back, so I am not too keen to go max. Tried a setback stance last week in fresh snow and it felt a bit awkward. I'll probably try 46cm, 57f/54r in the morning... Still, shoot your suggestions!

As these ski boots do not have much flex compared to alpine ones, wide stances creates too much tension on my front quad. I even packed 5mm shin under front toes and 2mm at the back heel to adjust the cuff angles. I did nice bootfitting job (DIY) on these, especially since I started using them for snowboard too.

Boris

Snowy, windy, foggy day at Cypress. Not too many people. Hard groom. Nice!

Today I tried 57f/54r at 46cm and I did not like it, probably because I increased it from 45cm by pushing the rear binding back (too much setback). Then I pushed the front one forward to the max, which increased stance to 47cm. Way better! It inspired me to really square the shoulders (but consciously - on the shorter stances I do that without much thinking) and to drive the knees, especially the rear one, into the turn. There's still another 1cm for the rear binding to be pushed back, I'll try that next week, but it will probably upset the offset again...

BTW, toe side initiation is still difficult - I have to really throw myself into these turns. Heal side way easier to initiate, but with wider stance does not hold the edge and chatters if I do not square the shoulders and drive the knees.

Now, technical gurus, can someone explain why 44, 45 and 47cm stances fell ok, but 46cm does not? My only theory is the setback... Could it be so important? Ok, on the wider stances one drives the knees more, too.

Boris