Note to New Members ×

Whiteface or Gore?

Lucasgo

• 11 months later...

Yeah, a late bump to this thread but I thought I’d share my experiences and also add a request myself. 

I’ve only been to Gore and it was one time. The weather wasn’t good (mixed precip, foggy) so I can’t give a good assessment of the conditions. It wasn’t crowded and there were some fun trails, but there are a few extended flat areas where you would likely need to unstrap. I would certainly go back and try it again. 

I’d like to know more about Whiteface. My brother and I are trying to plan a weekend trip in early Feb and the choices are between lower/mid VT and upstate NY. I know the mountain has a reputation for being cold, windy, and icy but I’d like to get some input from people who have skied it in recent years. The conditions in the northeast have been poor as of late so I’m trying narrow down our choices or make the call to forego the trip altogether. 

Edited by SnowFerret
Typo

On 1/7/2023 at 2:49 PM, SnowFerret said:

Yeah, a late bump to this thread but I thought I’d share my experiences and also add a request myself. 

I’ve only been to Gore and it was one time. The weather wasn’t good (mixed precip, foggy) so I can’t give a good assessment of the conditions. It wasn’t crowded and there were some fun trails, but there are a few extended flat areas where you would likely need to unstrap. I would certainly go back and try it again. 

I’d like to know more about Whiteface. My brother and I are trying to plan a weekend trip in early Feb and the choices are between lower/mid VT and upstate NY. I know the mountain has a reputation for being cold, windy, and icy but I’d like to get some input from people who have skied it in recent years. The conditions in the northeast have been poor as of late so I’m trying narrow down our choices or make the call to forego the trip altogether. 

Yep.  Was still cold, windy and icy as of March of 2022. 👍  Nothing in the way to disrupt the bitter cold flowing down from the north country.

Suggestion...IF you're gonna be up at that latitude, you're in northern VT already, you may as well get on the lake effect side of Champlain.  While conditions are poor now, it IS still early. Stowe, Sugarbush, and one of my favorite little mountains...Bolton Valley.  That air coming off the lake funnels right into BV and it can get dumped on in a hurry.  Empty during the week and on the weekends, Burlington flocks to the other two. The northeast is just coming out of the December thaw.  Winter WILL return with a vengeance...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was just at Gore this past Sunday. Conditions were pretty good after the 11 inches or so they got a few days prior. There are definitely some good trails for carving and it wasn’t crowded even on a holiday weekend and after a decent snowfall.

Also, to the person riding the Donek Rev: if you’re on this forum, nice turns.