Note to New Members ×

Mammoth Value Pass

nekdut

If any of you are thinking of visiting Mammoth at least 4 weekends in the next year, go get your value pass NOW. It pays itself off in 7-8 days. They have sold 85% out so far, and public sales only started 1 hour ago. Cost is $450 plus $35 for new members. If you miss out this year, they are saying they won't offer a discount season pass again.

http://www.mammothmountain.com/mvp/

On Sale Now!

Quantities are limited so act fast!

Based on volume and previous seasons' sales, the anticipated sell-out time will be noon on Monday, April 4, 2005

It is possible that MVP Club Passes may sell out BEFORE Monday. Join the Club NOW, while supplies last!

Once available memberships SELL OUT,

MVP Club Passes will not be sold to anyone for any reason.

Guest Tim Tuthill

Guys: There is allot in the wind at Mammoth?? McCoy is selling his interest out! Interwest is said to be getting out too?? Vail it ain't and never will be D. The airport deal will not fly now or ever. It is too darn dangerous. You can't have the folks back home on Monday morning. The Owens valley is one of the worst places to fly in the world!! I'm going to Aspen next season for the whole deal. Big bucks for the pass!! There are no U Haul trailers at those funerals!! So spend it and have fun. I have had the pass since it started. It's the best deal in the industry for sure. You can't beat Aspen for carving, crowds, conditions, as in WIND, grooming. Just watch at the bottom of Buttermilk and you should be ok??? Ray: I will get the early pass for Aspen.

wow so its finalized for both of you? sweet.

as for mammoth..I shoujld have said they WANT to be vail. with that new town center and gondola to the base, etc.

caters to rich people, driving the middle guy out. big mistake, always.

Guest Tim Tuthill

D: Can't work because of the lay of the land. The place is too spred out. Only time will tell on development. They will always have people. It's the longest season in the business, yes there are weather problems but that makes no diff. The big buck peeps makes no diff. Not enought of em??

not sayin it CAN work, Im sayin theyre making a mistake cutting out the meat of their business...middle class weekenders from SoCal.

weather there doesnt seem any worse to me than any other mountain area...?

anyway...passes are gone...lets go to june!

:)

Guest Tim Tuthill

Mammoth and WIND are one in the same!! It's the worst in the ski industry. I know guys that are great skiers and boarders who won't go there period! That's why it's so bad to fly in the area. That's not just winter, it's all the time. You got the westerly air flow west to east over the Siera plus other flow down valley.

Guest Tim Tuthill

As For me, yep! I'm looking at a place in Aspen now. I did not re up for next year at Mammoth. It looks like 2 more weeks for me on the mend?? We should be able to get some more turns before it heats up?? Thanks Brian!

Originally posted by Tim Tuthill

Mammoth and WIND are one in the same!! It's the worst in the ski industry. I know guys that are great skiers and boarders who won't go there period! That's why it's so bad to fly in the area. That's not just winter, it's all the time. You got the westerly air flow west to east over the Siera plus other flow down valley.

you havent been to bachelor then:) worst in the ski industry? thats a broad generalization

at least we agree: they can keep their big hill:)

I've had some DEEP powder days at Mammoth because the wind shutdown the upper lifts over 2-3 days, which let the powder pile up.

Other resorts, the powder would have gotten tracked up after the first 2 ft dump. At Mammoth, multiple days of 2ft dumps just add up until the wind dies down, then it's EPIC.

Of course, it sucks for the people that are there during the early part of the storm and are stuck to the lower lifts.

Mammoth is definately crowded enough (at least on the weekends). I hope you guys are right about a major airport not being able to be constructed because of the wind.

As for me, I skipped on the Mammoth season pass and got a season pass for Bear Mtn. I'm going for quantity (of riding days) instead of quality.

Guest Tim Tuthill

Tyler: If the airport could be done it would of allready happened. There have been many attempts to operate on a regular bassis and they have all failed. The last was UAL Express. Prior to that there were many independents. Don't worry, it ain't going to happen!! Bear mt, don't they run a little light on snow? Don't get me wrong, the Mammoth pass is still the best deal in the industry. I just like the way Aspen is set up. The crowd is a big factor also. When I left Aspen on the Pres weekend, at 10AM I saw 2 people on the Tiehack side of Buttermilk!!

Dave McCoy, founder of Mammoth Mountain announced over the weekend that Mammoth will be open until July 11th, they received 15 inches of new snow Sunday eve with a base of 12-15 ft.....not too bad for Cali

.....the cost for that season pass dosen't look too bad right now

aloha

Brian

Originally posted by Tim Tuthill

Bear mt, don't they run a little light on snow?

Most years, they are very light on natural snow and do a lot of manmade snow. Normally, it's a 2-3ft base in the middle of winter and lot of bare spots by the end of March. This winter, it's a 3-5 ft base in April!

Bear/Snow Summit allowed 2005/06 pass holders to start using their season pass on March 15 of the 2004/05 season. I could break even on the 05/06 pass during the 04/05 season!

OK.... I know a little....well nothing really, but here goes....

- Dave McCoy let his children run it and they basically almost made it bankrupt in the late 80s, so he brought in a guy called Rusty Gregory, who had worked there quite a while, who got it working properly. Around the same time, they started to get into detachable lifts with Dave's mate Yan - Yan lifts were some of the best fixed grips, but the detachables were a disaster and had all kinds of problems. Yan also built the QMC tram on June and the flying toaster on mammoth, both which were disasters. Yan got sued enough times that he no longer makes lifts in USA. Thank goodness - now he makes some sort of creations in mexico.

- In the 90s, Dave gave his kids shareholdings, and they sold these to Intrawest almost straight away, kinda breaking his heart a bit in the process. However, Dave still had voting control, but not actual majority shareholding - I think Intrawest owns around 54% of the shares, but not all voting stock.... Intrawest came in primarily as a real estate developer, and they did the village; fixed up some of the lame yan lifts and generally upgraded the town - this is the reason why housing has tripled in price there since the mid 90s

- Dave now wants to sell as he is 80 something, and his kids are too useless to run anything for the most part, but Intrawest have been selling off to get out of debt, so they are probably not in the market. They have first right of refusal, but Dave has drag through? rights, which means they get first chance to buy, but Dave can also make them sell to another bidder should the other bidder want to buy. Plus Intrawest are mostly real estate developers, not ski resort managers - e.g. Village at Squaw=real estate, not the ski lifts. Incidentally, a friend worked for them, for a big company they do seem incredibly badly run... the main bids are likely to be Vail, and one can imagine that perhaps an inside deal from the senior management and perhaps an entertainment conglomerate would also be in the works

- Mammoth needs a decent airport; the area there is fine for it, but the Sierra Club have successfully blocked it for years; because it is so small it has never been successful; the location can certainly be windy, but if you've landed in Wellington airport in NZ, then by comparison Mammoth airport is not so bad.... probably another location would be better, maybe even Bishop, but the whole area has wind problems I guess - good for gliding I hear!

- Mammoth wind is nothing compared to some NZ ski resorts; but it certainly gets a decent breeze on the top compared to other USA resorts, and the weather is quite a bit colder than Tahoe.... That's why is has the great windpack off the top; my friends who go to Colorado tell me the storms there are worse, and places like Lake Louise sometimes cannot open because it is too cold, by comparison Mammoth is not that bad

- Mammoth now is so packed on the weekends that they are trying to increase the prices to reduce the numbers of people and maximise their revenues, not to price gouge. It is actually at the point of crowded to be unpleasant; so I think the price increase is a wise one.... sure they are not Vail, but Vail doesn't have the "only game in town for Socal skiers/boarders?" With only lame Big Bear, Baldy and Snow Summit (which aren't exactly uncrowded either) and economic growth in SoCal, you can see why Mammoth is doing so well. The tough part for them is getting people to ski midweek, so expect to see some major marketing for that with any new owner

- I'm pretty sure June has lost them lots of money since it got going, but I could be wrong about that

- Pretty much most other stuff in Mammoth is badly run; the Mountain Inn is a disaster, and the McCoy children sadly have the Sadim touch - mostly the stuff they touch turns to turds - Ronnie McCoy though is pretty good with his snowboard shop, or used to be...over here there are lots of family businesses, and some turn out like this. The question is are Intrawest any better? I thought the village was kind of like McDonalds, the one in Squaw looked exactly the same, so I am not sold on this idea of Starbucks on every corner...but such is progress.

Be interesting to share any more gossip and unfounded rumours that you guys have heard too?

Guest Tim Tuthill

D: Back to your statement about affording Aspen. My wife and I were there for the SES. Our room was $150/night. We were right at the Snowmass village with everything you need at hand. Some guys paid $100/ night at other places. I think someone was paying less than $100/ night at a nice place. Anyone else have price info? I don't think it's so bad. Mammoth is no cheaper, matter of fact, if you go in on a condo at both places you can do even better. I'm lucky, Retired and all the bills are paid. Just think, you young guys got so much time to do this great sport. I hope I get another 15 years??? Good god, that means I will be 77??? ARGGHHHH!!! 2 more weeks and I'm on it!!!

Guest Tim Tuthill

Kipstar: You got it pretty right I think. I will call some friends that have lived there for 30+ years and see what they got??? I'll let you know.