Note to New Members ×

Mammoth end of season get together??

Guest Tim Tuthill

Guest Tim Tuthill

How many guys and gals are up for end of season go at Mammoth?? I should be good to go in 2 weeks. Should be at Mammoth for most of April and May. Be nice to set a date for some turns!!

Guest Tim Tuthill

Jeff; I would say yes. The snow should be good for carving.This should be the last big storm, but we got 81 in of snow in April 03. Mammoth has it's own weather that the weather people don't seem to know about. Sooo we wait and watch. Mammoth says that they will be open till well into June. They just got 3 ft of snow in the last 30 hrs and it's still snowing hard. Oh, another thing to consider, no crowds. It's warm in So Cal so people are going to the beach.

Tim,

Dont jinx it! :D I don't think the storms are over yet. We've gotten over 3 feet from this storm so far and this system wont die off until this weekend. There should be another storm rolling in middle of next week too! And its still only March. Lets hope for another April like the one a few years ago! 90+ inches in April!

I plan to be there most weekends in April, May and even June. I'm going to try to attend the Snowperformance camp there on June 24th too. It looks like they are holding it at Mammoth this year due to the low snow levels in the PNW.

Jeffrey: You should definitely head out this way. We have an insane base depth (over 14 feet) and I wouldnt be surprised if we were open for Independence day this year. The variety of runs is staggering and you'll have plenty of carving terrain. One thing you do need to consider though, is that they start to close portions of the mountain after April due to the lack of staffing and crowds.

Tim,

I'm glad to here that you'll be able to ride soon! As I went to the SES, what was the final outcome of your dispute with Buttermilk? Did you get any retribution or did Buttermilk ( it was Buttermilk, right?) just blow it off?

Back to carving, did you have any kind of date in mind? And would you have any ideas for me as far as inexpensive places to stay? I could be up for another trip out west! I've never been to CA!!

We'll see what happens!

Jeff,

The cheapest place to stay in town is the Motel 6. $50-70 depending on the weekend. There are a few other hotels that cost more but dont offer anything special. If you want to rent a condo with a few friends, check out http://mammothsierraonline.com

If you have some time, you could get some carving in at Mammoth, and then do the drive up to Yosemite. Its an amazingly beautiful place and only about an hour to and hour and a half away from Mammoth.

As far as flying, your best bet is to fly into Reno. Mammoth only has a regional airport, no commercial service. The drive from Reno is about 2-2.5 hrs if the roads are clear.

Guest Tim Tuthill

Jeff; Don't have a date yet. I most likely will be there a week that will go into the weekend so as to ride with the weekend guys. Aspen told me to pound sand!! They see no problem with that jump runout going into the slow zone??? I don't know any legal people there so I'm not in a good position to go after them. As nekdut says, it ain't over by a long way, and I agree!! This year is nuts and all we can do is watch. I don't have to see another powder day for a long time!!

I'll be there March 29- April 1. Hope to see some folks there. I've only done trips to Mammoth in spring (late March/early April) and it has always been great. Every time I've gone, there was always at least one day of fresh snow! Looking forward to this trip!

Tim, sorry to hear about Aspen's position on that situation - wonder if they'll wait until someone is killed before change takes place :mad:

Guest Tim Tuthill

Kirk: They were so condisending you can't belive it. I think it will take something much more serious to make a change. They are out a mile, so many complaints have been made and if some one is killed or realy hurt bad, not that mine was a nothing deal, they will pay big time!! After talking to this VP I could not belive the attitude. Has corp America gotten this bad?? As to my time on the hill, I will go to Snowbowl to see how I am before comming over to Mammoth. I figure around the first week in April??

Guest Randy S.

If we're really talking "end of season," I may be able to join in. I didn't ask my doc yesterday when I saw him, but I suspect I'll be able to ride by early June. I'm certainly planning to ride my motorcycle by then. Keep me posted.

Guest Tim Tuthill

Hey Guys: After I'm ok, I will be on it as much as I can. My wife does not want to do the drive, so getting a place to stay is easy. If your going to do more than the weekends let me know. There are lots of places this time of year that are cheaper. The clock tics. Randy, Is that going to be the best you can do, June?? Snow is only good for 2 or so hrs by then?? If that.

Tim, count me in for some riding at Mammoth. I have been to Mammoth a few times this year and need to squeeze a few more trips in before this year ends.

If we go in April I willhave to lug my float tube with me so I can hit some lakes in the afternoons.

I can't wait!!!

Mammoth Mountain, CA (Wednesday, March 23, 2005) - At the same time that ski lifts sit idle in parts of the Pacific Northwest due to a lack of snow cover, it's been a banner snow year in other parts of the American West, including the southwest, the Intermountain Region, and in California. A few days after Utah's Alta Ski Area surpassed the 500-inch season snowfall total threshold, a March storm hit California's Mammoth Mountain with mid-winter force, dropping over 60 inches of new snow on the ski resort and pushing the season snowfall total over 500 inches. The new snow brought Mammoth's total base depth up to a massive 16 to 18 feet, setting up for excellent spring conditions and a snow pack that is expected to last into July.

Season to date, Mammoth has received 508 inches of snow, and the storm is expected to continue through the end of the week, clearing up just in time for Easter weekend. Mammoth averages 400 inches of snow per winter and a skiing and snowboarding season that extends an average nine months each year.

Tim what happened in Aspen? Did you get laid out by some dude in baggy pants? I'm always up for late season mammoth. Will be going strong through June. The place really starts to come alive with fishing, mountain biking, hot springs and stuff--- I love that time of year. My only regret is that the carvability is only good for several hours a day.

Will also be going up the 30th-4th. Let me know if any of you boys are there and I will try to meet up. See ya.

Guest James Pryor

Hi Tim. Glad you are going to be riding again soon. Yeah I will be there April 12-17. That was really a blast riding with you on that one (secret) run at Buttermilk. Today was real good at Bear but these conditions just dont last too long this time of year. Looking forward to Chair 2 (stump alley) and other fun runs. See ya...jp