Note to New Members ×

MHES - bad news

Mike T

It pains me greatly to make this announcement, but MHES 2005 is cancelled.

I rode at Timberline yesterday, and bottom line, it looks like mid-June up there right now. The main Palmer snowfield area is fine now, but West Palmer and Magic Mile are rock gardens. Even if the snowpack is miraculously maintained between now and then, wind or fog could shut us down for the day, since there will be no lower mountain tarrain that is carvable. (Remember all that fog last year?) Not to mention that Palmer isn't the best place for beginner and low-intermediate carvers; part of my motivation for organizing MHES was to get people to try hard boots for the first time.

Even yesterday, there were a lot of loose lava chunks to be found on the snow, and I had to do two hot scrapes on my Axis to pull out the dirt that got in there during the day. I am "summer-izing" most of my boards this weekend.

There *will* be a session at Mt Hood, Mt Bachelor, or both in 2006 assuming we don't have a repeat of this year's weather fiasco. Again I would like to thank everyone who has donated and sponsored the event; consider your donations and sponsorship good for the 2006 session. Most of the work that has been done for this season - web site, etc - will simply carry over to next season. We decided not to roll out the RSVP form, demo requests, loaner equipmnet, registration, etc until it started to snow in earnest, and well, that never happened.

I would love to see an informal session happen sometime soon, probably at Mount Bachelor because honestly they seem to be the only mountain in the PNW with enough snow. Spring break in WA/OR is 3/19 - 3/27. Maybe something 1st weekend in April?

Originally posted by D-Sub

only problem is Im hearing talk of Bach CLOSING after spring break!

Really?!?!?! I'm a bit surprised, I would think they'd stay open until they run out of snow.... they kinda have the NW market cornered right now!

If you know of a link that can confirm (or better yet deny) this please post it.

There's quite a few incentives going for Mt. Bachelor right now.

If you've got a season pass to a closed WA resort (or schwietzer, ski bowl or a couple others) you get $10 off.

You can buy a 3 day ticket for $99 as well.

March 18th is the wells fargo $10 friday, coupons should be at your local wells fargo.

I'll be there the 18th, 19th and 20th with some buddies.

Their website claims only a 2 inch loss of base since last time I was there. (BULL****!)

Definitely not bringing any of my babies this weekend!

So D-Sub, how many riding days did you manage so far this season? I'm currently at 23, which is my lowest total since my first season.

bachelor's been reporting a 60" base for a few weeks now. HAHA! You can see the ground around a lot of the tree's, Chipper has some bare spots in the middle of the run, just over some of the rollers. I would'nt be suprised if they started running "limited operations" soon. Too bad about MHES. there's a carving camp at bachelor in mid april I really wanted to attend, but it's looking dubious. Some day we'll look back on this season and laugh....ok, maybe not.:mad:

Originally posted by Galen

bachelor's been reporting a 60" base for a few weeks now. HAHA! You can see the ground around a lot of the tree's, Chipper has some bare spots in the middle of the run, just over some of the rollers.

Timberline is reporting a 44" base at lodge level. There is more dirt and grass than snow at lodge level. Mt Hood Meadows is reporting 30" at the base; soe of the usually groomed runs are literally bare.

Guest Randy S.

D-Sub, did you buy a pass for Bachelor this season? If so, its good at Alpine Meadows. If you want to come down for some good riding, let me know. I have my cabin through most of April.