Note to New Members ×

Where Can I learn how to Carve on the East Coast(NH)?

Guest pinkpanther7

pink panther-

Where you the guy in lift line at NP with tele gear Sunday that was chatting to us? I think I rode up with your dad, if so.

I think it would be hard to talk the Loon Snowboard coach into leaving his kids for the day. He's a great rider, but he's got obligations, ie the kids.

Your best bet is to deal with the instructors at the loaf or stratton. But if you can't break away from Loon, then you might try calling the Holderness school and talk to the coach of the Alpine Snowboard Team, Alan. (His son is the snowboard coach at Loon), and Holderness got some really good racers. You might talk to him to see if one of the racers would give you a lesson, they are young and may want some "cash"!

Enzo - where you been at hommes. get your legs on and meet us Sat. morning!

Guest zurfer

What is the difference between a coach and an instructor?

Is he coaching a Loon team how to race? I am sure I can find out more as my kids are in the Seasonal program there.

My goal is to just buy some equipment and get started. I am sure i will benefit from a lesson or two, but I can wait.

Originally posted by manch_mike

Enzo - where you been at hommes. get your legs on and meet us Sat. morning!

Manch-

I just got back from a week in Jackson Hole. I've got the vacation hangover. I'm hoping to be at Loon this weekend. I'll try to meet you early in the Bunyan Room. It looks we may be getting another storm Friday night into Saturday. Break out the powder board!!! Harpoon Party on Sunday at Camp 3.

Originally posted by zurfer

What is the difference between a coach and an instructor?

Teaching: Involves instructing student to do tasks that they do not know how to do. Teaching tends to be short term...ie the one hour group lesson or the six week program, where you get to know your athlete, but are really only focused on skills development with a goal of improvement. Every Coach spends some time teaching

Coaching: On top of the teaching aspects involved with daily training, and elevating the Athelete to a higher level of performance, there is resposibility for the Athelete. (not that there is not in teaching). With Coaching, the goal of Skills development is to better the performance of an athlete in competition (and to reach the individual athletes longer term goals). Coaches are responsible for mental development and mental preparation for competition. Coaches are more involved with an athletes long term physical well being: Stress injuries, overuse injuries, nutrition, drug and alchohol counselling. Coaches need to be prepared to take into account athletes mental state...get to know what the athlete has going on in the rest of his/her life that may be affecting performance on snow. As for teaching what you do or don't know...I can't beat my top athletes ina race course...but I can help them identify the line, do movemnt analysis to dial in their style. make equipment adjustments so they get the most out of their gear, be a wax tech on race day, adjust the training schedule such that the athlete is peaking for the big race, and help an athlete be mentaly in the right place ah they pull out of the start. I can barely pull of tricks in the park and pipe, but I can analyze other competitors runs and determine what judges are rewarding (ie the rotation is judge is scoring low, but the amp. judge is scoring high: go big, and rotate less, but be further out of the pipe).

Guest pinkpanther7

Manch Mike-

Yeah that was my dad, but the tele gear was my bro...I was the chicklet with that crew of guys...you guys looked sick carving and it inspired me to give it a whirl...I've never had any desire to snowboard for some reason...even with a wakeboarding background...but seeing you guys carve it up...changed my mind! I think I'm going to try and hit up the loaf in 2 weeks with my pops...watching you guys got us both stoaked on it...so I will most likely be up @ loon on Sunday...then we usually crash up at the blue ox or whatever it's called for some cold beers! Would love to chat more about carving!!

Thanks guys for all your help...

I'll be at Loon on Sunday and have a couple of extra boards and an extra set of Bombers that have just been collecting dust. One is a Oxygen Proton 168 with about 30 days on it. Excellent condition and the other is a Sims Premium 167 which is a nice, relatively soft board to start out on with probably 10 days on it. If you're interested send me a private email and I can bring them up so you can have a look on Sunday.

Enzo - Meet at the bunyan room. I'm riding up with Ken B, so I guess I can't be late... 1-3" over friday night, should be sa-weet.

rumorville - nut fur nuthin guy but its spreading like wild fire... supposedly chippewa's got an alpine setup for his lady logger and will be on the slopes bright and early giving her lessons... hmmm.... might be a good time for newbs to try out the stihl and cut a few turns

Guest zurfer

Bothanks for the info on Steve. I had saw in the instructor area that Wachusetts had a few hard boot guys.

Since i am still dedicated to Loon on the weekends (ski camp for kids), that I can do Wachusetts during the week or late afternoon, just need to make arrangements.

Yes I realize I need gear.

thanks,

Mark

Originally posted by manch_mike

Enzo - Meet at the bunyan room. I'm riding up with Ken B, so I guess I can't be late... 1-3" over friday night, should be sa-weet.

hey guy you must be looking at the flatlandah forecast....for up here we're looking at 3-5" tonight and 4-6" tomorrow. Ditch the carving board and go wide. I'll be the one in the one piece powdah suit. :cool: :D

Guest zurfer

Enzo:

Just curious, on your 'powder board' you riding soft boots? And if so what angles.

I have been going through a discussion with a freind, who was in Park City all week at the WTC, and tried hard boot /board combo.

He switched his angles after he went back to the soft boot adn said he could get some decent carves. He ws duck and now changed to 45/33.

I learned on Burton Free 6 and I bet the angles were 45/45, casue when I got my second board, the angles seemed so extreme that I cut back to 30/30, and then an instructor changed me to 30/0 to help my heel side turn. I now realize this was probalby not the way to go if i was looking to carve more.

I will be at Loon all weeekend

Thirsting for knowledge-

Mark

Originally posted by zurfer

Enzo:

Just curious, on your 'powder board' you riding soft boots? And if so what angles.

Mark,

I'll probably be riding a 172 Supermodel with plates this weekend. The angles are set at 50/45 right now but I may tweak them depending on conditions. On my regular carving set up my angles are typically around 58 degrees for both front & back.

Last week I was in JH and travelled light so I demoed soft boots the whole time. I was riding a Burton Custom 160 with binding angles ranging from 45/40 to 35/25 with a 19" stance width. Ironically, the 35/25 actually seemed to work best for me. It had been over 5 years since I had been on softies so it was definitely an adjustment, but I still had fun.

It's difficult to generalize and say "try x & y degrees" and away you go--there are too many variables. Experiment by gradually increasing your bindings to steeper angles and then hit the hill to find a set-up that is comfortable and works best for you. It's mostly trial & error....you may spend a lot of time with a screwdriver in your hands making minor tweaks or adjustments, but it's the only way to dial in perfect set-up.