Note to New Members ×

Where Can I learn how to Carve on the East Coast(NH)?

Guest pinkpanther7

Guest pinkpanther7

I went skiing this weekend and spotted 2 carvers on the mountain, and thought it was so sick! I've never really seen it done! I'm a skier and was never into learning how to snowboard, but after witnessing these 2 guys...I would love to try to CARVE! Where can I get a lesson? Where can I rent equipement? I live in NH and that's where I mostly ski...any beginner advice would be a great help!!!

Guest jeremiah

If you can get to Okemo this weekend there will be a good crew of carvers there. There will be extra boards, but boots may be in short supply. I'm bringing an extra pair of 25.5 or 26 Raichle 413s, so if you have small feet those will work.

I know that the Starting Gate near Stratton demos alpine boards, not sure on boots. There are a couple very good instructors who use Stratton as their home mountain.

Jeremiah

A few weeks ago I saw an instructor at Loon on hardboots--new Deeluxe Indy's and a black Coiler PR. First time I saw him...anyone know of him? He was giving a group lesson to a bunch of little kiddies on softies. Maybe try him?? Otherwise you'll have to head to Sugarloaf or Stratton for a lesson. I don't know of any shops that rent equipment, but Lahouts in Lincoln and Ski Fanatics in Campton have a limited amount of carving gear. There's also a shop based out of Hampton, NH that carries some equipment. The shop lists much of their inventory on Ebay http://stores.ebay.com/Performancedownhill

FWIW -

The Dartmouth Skiway in Lyme NH had a few Rossi boards and an Oxygen 149 (that I donated) with plates for rent last season - I am not aware of any boots available for rent.

My wife just dumped my old pair of UPS boots (M27) at the Salvation Army or Listen Center in Lebanon NH last weekend.

Contact PSR ( 'Pre School Rider' in the member list) Eric Brammer. I'm sure he can get you going in the right direction, either himself, or recommend someone.

If you are 'seriuos', you have picked a good time! Okemo this week should be a "Mandatory" goal. I'm pretty sure you won't regret it. Everyone I have ever met in Alpine goes out of their way to help, especially someone new to the sport. It will be a chance for you to see 'many' different riders and 'styles'. Watching others has helped me to learn, it is OK to ride different, you don't have to have a 'Cookie Cutter' style, develope your own, and enjoy riding.

Like stated above, OKEMO anytime this week from 3/10 thru 3/12 should be an 'excellent' opportunity for you to hook up with (probably the most you will see at one time, this season on the east coast) Alpine riders for info / instruction? / demo's? / FUN !!

jp1

For just starting out, your ski boots will work fine. That's all I used for years, and some of the other guys on here were the same. Cant them forward as far as they'll go and they'll be great. And I would say yes, get to Okemo - you'll be inspired.

Boards can be really cheap for starter gear - something like a Burton Alp or similar goes on Ebay all the time for sub $100. Go to www.raceboarders.com and click the Ebay link, there's a nice one with bindings that will fit your ski boots, listed right now.

Guest pinkpanther7

Thanks so much for the invite...unfortunatly I have to work for the next 2 weekends...no over time either...so beat! I hope we still ahve snow in April...cause I'm really stoaked on it and really want to try CARVING!!!!

We have a number of instructors riding hardboots here at Sugarloaf, including Erik Beckman (do a search here and you'll get an idea as to his reputation). You can either show up for a group lesson and see who you get, or you can schedule a private and have your pick.

I (Fuzzy) am here every day on hardboots, Erik is here most days. You can stop by the desk and request a private with us at any time and unless we're already booked, your wish will be granted. I believe Perfect Turn is also running an excellent special on half day semi-privates. I need to double check that it also applies to snowboarders as well, so I'll confirm that tomorrow.

If you show up to a group lesson, you will be placed in to an appropriate level group. Generally, a beginner on hardboots will end up in a higher level lesson than the same person on softboots, just because carving is so much easier for the person on a hard setup. Keep in mind that the ideas are all the same between hard and soft setups - they just have different learning curves. If you show for a group lesson on hardboots, you will be placed with an instructor on hardboots.

Either way, you will not be disappointed.

Guest pinkpanther7

Thanks so much I will have to head over to sugarloaf in 2 weeks...How much are private lessons there? Never skied the loaf...

So when put into a lesson, I should call up and request that I want to be in hard boots?

Another question, I used to compete in wakeboarding competitivly for 5 years...is it going to be totally different for me???

pinkpanther7, man that sounds familiar, but seriously, this is a chance you will only get once this season. I'm only saying this because, I had an offer to ride with one of the better carvers on the east coast (on a Monday morning) when I first started. I turned it down, because I had to get back home to be at work! Now, I kick myself in the butt, because I missed that opportunity.

Work the weekend then, but take 'off' Thursday or Friday, you do look a little 'sick' to me.

Think about it, you'll do the 'right' thing......

Guest pinkpanther7

:( I totally wish I could...I'm in charge of the show I have to attend...and I already was "sick" like a week ago...Work stinks!

I think that Saturday of Easter weekend I'm going to head over to Sugerloaf with my pops...he's going to be 64 and he is just as stoaked as I am to learn!!! Flippin' Sweet! I can't wait to learn how to CARVE!!!!

Rates for private lessons are:

$70 for 1hr

$105 for 90min

$125 for 2hrs

Although we do have a number of instructors who ride hardboots, we do not have any gear available for renting. That's ok though, because a soft setup will work best for your first day or few. You won't be carving on your first day, and the responsiveness of hardboots will be more of a hinderance than a help.

I haven't wakeboarded enough to say, but I think it will help a little bit. Mostly your skiing experience will help you out, since you carve a board and a ski using the exact same ideas.

Guest zurfer

Pinkpanther:

I also ski/ride at Loon every weekend and would be interested in finding someone who can teach hard boot lessons.

Maybe we can find this coach at Loon and convince him to give hard boot lessons.

Mark

Guest zurfer

Mirror70

SInce I am committed to Loon on the weekends (have kids in ski camp), I would not be able to come up for a lesson then.

Do any of the hardbooters work during the week? Group or only private?

I have 12 years experience riding with soft boots and in the process of buying an alpine board and bindings to learn on.

thanks

Mark

Guest pinkpanther7

Mirror70-

Thanks fo rthe prices-if I find a place to rent a board from...will I be able to get a carve lesson...? Or should I be learning to snowboard first? I really just want to learn how to carve, so I don't pick up any softboot habits early on...

Zurfer-

Where are you getting your gear from...? Maybe we can spot this coach and convince him...so far that would be 3 of us...my dad wants to learn too...equipement is a problem...I would just need a board...I was told I can use my alpine ski boots for the time being...I'm at loon on Sundays usually...will most likey be there on my skis this Sunday...

Whether you're carving on a hard setup or a soft setup, you shouldn't be doing anything different. On a hard setup, you're just turned further towards the front. How much weight you put on different parts of the board and where you put it is all the same, as are all of the ideas behind tipping the board.

You don't need to worry about picking up "softboot habits." Bad habits are bad habits, and if you're going to pick them up, you will regardless of your setup.

I am here every day of the week, and Erik Beckman is here at least two. We also have at least three other instructors who ride hardboots, most of whom are around during the week.