Note to New Members ×

Volkl 173RT vs. F2 silberpfeil 172

kmartshopper

Stats: Edge, Waist, Sidecut, Taper

Volkl 173RT: 154.5 19.0 11.7 5

F2 172silberpfeil:155.5 18.4 11 0

:confused:

To the newbie seeking a first board, these boards seem quite similar. I was thinking of the Silberfeil cuz of the freecarve designation. Would the volkl be much stiffer? How much of a diff would that .7m larger radius really make? From what I've read, the volkl has more of a 'racing' reputation - but is that just marketing/brand imaging?

6'4", 175#, NON-racer. East coast hardpack. Don't intend to do bumps, pwdr, or trees with this board. I do know how to carve fairly well (on softies), so I'm not a TOTAL newbie... just new to hardboots.

More thanks to everyone for all this great info and help!

________

FIX PS3

my current ride is the RT173, and the F2 seems a little more "turny" than the Volkl. RT is a nice ride, and soaks up the rough stuff very well, and I can't imagine the F2 being better in that regard. Volkl's have a softish nose but I've never had any problem with folding mine. Both good quality boards so you can't go wrong, either way.

I tried the F2 172 Silberpfeil at the Aspen SES and was really impressed. Yes, it is a softer flex than any racing board. It turned easily, handled variable conditions very well, felt solid and held on really well when I demanded some tight, hard turns.

Many like the Volkl...I'm not one of them. I vote F2.

You are from CT, right? I would say the F2 as well. If you ride the small CT mts., the F2 will make much smaller turns and make them at lower speeds for someone who has not been carving long. The Volkl is a good board, but would most likely be harder to learn on. F2 all the way.

Originally posted by Phil

You are from CT, right? I would say the F2 as well. If you ride the small CT mts.,...

Hmm... sounds like the the F2 is a bit more my style then... I'd like to be a little tighter turning. I don't actually ride CT, but mostly Killington - still tough to really open it up in most situations.

I just wonder how much I'd be giving up in edge hold on icy conditions? That's one of the main reasons I'm making the leap to hardboots... seeing hardbooters still carving hard when I get to the point where I can't bite in with my freeride board/softies.

________

WENDIE 99

Originally posted by 350

I have a 168 Volkl and love it

it goes through anything

im also ride the east coast ice and this board is unbelievable it holds anything 'i never road a 173 volkl or a F2

That's good to hear. From Volkl's site, it looks like >= 168 is a GS, and a <=163 is a SL... the GS has some added structure, in addition to the obvious length. Are you still able to really tighten up the turns on some of the more narrow trails? That's what I was afraid of with the stiffer board... don't know if a 163 would be better for me than either the 168/173.

I'm finding the Volkls are easier to find (and cheaper)... so I may end up going that way anyway.

Thanks for all the feedback.

________

TOYS GAY