Note to New Members ×

Ski Season Has Started - Be Avalanche Aware!

barryj

Just released, 13 minute educational documentary from the parents of avalanche victims, Ronnie Berlack and Bryce Astle,  US Development Ski Team members who died Jan. 2015 in Soelden Austria.    

This hits even closer to home and my heart as Ronnie Berlack was a Franconia NH local kid,  our families went to the same church and we shared holidays together,  our kids were in the same schools and our son and Ronnie raced together back in the day.  He was a phenomenal skier and athlete  who truly had Olympic Gold medal potential but more importantly he was a great young man who is truly missed!  Miss Ya Kid!  😥

Don't let this happen to you or your family - if you go off the groom into the backcountry get the gear, get the training, get the forecast, get the picture and get out of harms way.

Everyone have a great season and be safe out there.................................

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks E ! ...and to all others that have sent kind words via PM and email.

It's so sad that their deaths could have been so easily been prevented - So Sad....

I also wanted to add, consider this:  There Are On Average 27 US Avalanche Deaths each year! ......and not all those US deaths were out of Bounds or out West!!   So don't get it in your head "well that could never happen to me" because I don't ride in Europe or  off-piste or out of bounds!!

Looking at data from all Avy deaths from 1951 to 2016 the top five states with the most deaths in order were not surprisingly,  CO, AK, WA, UT, MT,  ......but NH, NY, ME and VT were also on the list with a combined Avy death toll of 22! 

So Be Aware and Be Prepared ~