Note to New Members ×

Pretty much new to hardboots...

timhatimay

Except for a few days. Ive been carving with stiff boots and bindings set at pretty high angles and probably havent really ridden angles below 35-40 on the front foot (toe drag is a drag) in all of my 11 years of riding. Ive always been a carver at heart but i decided to try and step it up a notch, and last year bought a burton speed 64, with race plates, and figured id just use some ski boots. But just recently realized i should get rid of the big ski boots i have and get a pair of fitting snowboard boots. My question is, ive ridden this a few days and ended up just getting frustrated and probaly a concusion, but will this setup (with snowboard boots) be alright to start alpine riding? And also how long will it take for me to be comfortable on an alpine setup, assuming i can carve well on a freeride setup? Thanks, and i love the board, got some great information.

Peace,

Tim

Guest Randy S.

Its funny. I don't think I'd mind the fore/aft stiffness of a ski boot. Its the lateral flexibility of a snowboard boot that I'd miss.

Welcome to BOL, carving and lots of fun. You'll find all the info and advice you need here.

Randy

Guest Mark Jeangerard

I have to agree with Jack here and add that you want to stay on the greens until they are absolutely boring. You want to be super comfortable with your carves and edge changes. They should be easy, fluid, authoritative, and fun before you move up.

If you have been riding for 11 years in sft boots and can carve a good line you shouldn't have any problem riding a hard setup. There is not alot of difference between the two. The key is driving your turns with knees. On a hard setup provided you have steeper angle stances, you will pressure the side of your boot more than you did on a soft board. That is really the ONLY difference.

Originally posted by timhatimay

toe drag is a drag)........

Tim

Tim, you didn't mention your foot and/or mondo size?

I have size 13 feet and I finally switched to snowboard specific hardboots because of the long bootsole the skiboots had. This allowed me to start at a higher angle than my softies, but not so ridiulously high I was uncomfortable. The pogression to higher angles from then on out was fairly rapid. If you have big feet and only have the ski boots, then use them, it may just take a few days to get the carving down. It shouldn't be a severe handicap though, I'd say more of an inconvenience.

My mondo is 27, the ski boots i was currently using were like 30 i think and are too big, and currently have 60 degrees on the front foot, which isnt too outrageous because i'm used to angles in the high 40's on my curent freeride board, but there is still some bootout on the front. I actually just bought a pair of snowboard boots from the forum, so hopefully i can give those a try in a few weeks. Hopefully after some binding and stance tweeks i can get a more forgiving and easier to ride setup for my first alpine board. I like the endless summer avatar too. Sorry for the story book length responses.

Tim

Tim, unless you have Fred Flintstone/High Volume feet, those boots are WAY too big! I"m a 13 and I like to punishing myself, so I ride mondo 29.0, miost folks my size would opt for the 30's. My actual foot measurement is about 29.45 mondo.

IF you measure a 27.0, then you must be around a 9 then? I would guess that most of your troubles is because you don't have much board feel due to their oversize, not to mention you are not centered on the board (from edge to edge) due to their oversize, Thats a full 3 CM difference!

I bootlegged my av from an Endless Summer II poster, you could always bootleg Endless Summer I!

Don't worry about the long posts, I'm known for my novellas as well. As long as it is on topic, its no problem, as details are always important for answering any questions you may have.