Note to New Members ×

Arbor Mickey Munoz Quasimodo A65 any good?

sluggomania

sluggo-

you are a lucky man.

back to the boards. I recently rode several Rides for next year., and was very impressed with the ride of each. Each board was very wel suited to its intended purpose, which would lead me to believe that the arbors built by ride wouldbe quality. Of course I still can't say anything about the arbor in question...

(useful enough D? )

Sluggo-- I know a little bit about them. The Alpine boards are quite soft but beautiful boards. Best for a 140lb rider or so. I have a Munoz 170 and 166 free ride boards which are great riding Mercedes like boards. Also they make great wall hangers for the rec room. I may have the specs somewhere in my files if you are interested.

Guest slimtreeshadow

I've been using a Mickey 170 for several years (bought it in 2001 I think). It's a great riding board, here are the specs for you:

waist 25.2

sidecut 8.9

nose 30.2

tail 30.2

effective 135

It's super stable and loves long arcs (check out that effective edge). the smaller sidecut radius does allow it some quicker mobility but not much, however your 165 should be nicer for the tight stuff.

When new it had a very springy flex, moderate to stiff with a slightly stiffer tail. The big scooped nose makes it killer for powder and crud. Now that it's lost it's flex it's just a noodle, but still fun for pow.

I love this board, and have used it all kinds of conditions, ranging from the deepest BC pow to the hariest (for me) Chugach lines. It is an amazingly fun board that loves to rip huge arcing turns.

Mine is pretty much shot now - the camber is diminished and it's got a noodle feel to it. I'll still use it for a rock board next season... *tear*

:)

I had an arbor mickey munoz i believe, prob around 99 or something, the bad news is i cracked it behind the rear bindings from folding it on a heelside and landing with all my weight on the tail, at 185lbs i was prob to heavy for it! Think it was 165, was about 5 yrs back though. Gorgeous board though

Originally posted by slimtreeshadow

I've been using a Mickey 170 for several years (bought it in 2001 I think). It's a great riding board, here are the specs for you:

waist 25.2

sidecut 8.9

nose 30.2

tail 30.2

effective 135

It's super stable and loves long arcs (check out that effective edge). the smaller sidecut radius does allow it some quicker mobility but not much, however your 165 should be nicer for the tight stuff.

:)

Hey , Slim Tree, the specs you are listing is for a free ride board not an alpine A65 square tail. Read his post.

Guest slimtreeshadow
Originally posted by C5 Golfer

Hey , Slim Tree, the specs you are listing is for a free ride board not an alpine A65 square tail. Read his post.

no, actually his post is asking about "Arbor Mickey Munoz Quasimodo A65", which isn't an alpine board. I'm not really sure what you mean by "an alpine A65 square tail", but Arbor has never made any alpine boards, for starters...

The Mickey was their first edition of the S-Series, which became the current A-Frame. Mickey Munoz will always be linked with soul turns in pow, not race plates and square tails :) -- you should check out his history in surfing sometime. Legendary old-schooler

Thats a great board. I used to ride the MM 170. Hawaiian Koa and Birds-eye Maple topsheet. It was my all-around board for about 2-3 seasons. It carved nice and worked well in the pow.

And its a little stiffer for an all-mountain board which worked well for me.

And I do remember an alpine/free carve in a 165 that they made around 99'. maybe even a 155 cm. too.

Originally posted by slimtreeshadow

no, actually his post is asking about "Arbor Mickey Munoz Quasimodo A65", which isn't an alpine board. I'm not really sure what you mean by "an alpine A65 square tail", but Arbor has never made any alpine boards, for starters...

The Mickey was their first edition of the S-Series, which became the current A-Frame. Mickey Munoz will always be linked with soul turns in pow, not race plates and square tails :) -- you should check out his history in surfing sometime. Legendary old-schooler

Actually Slim Tree they did make square tail alpine boards back in the late 90's. I believe they were A series boards

The Mickey you are describing as the S-Series actually was after the true Munoz of the D Models in the D54, D58,D62,D66 and D70 made by Ride for Arbor. These were the beautiful ones with Koa on the sides and Walnut in the center - no ugly maple strips like they have now. They are now made in Canada. I don't think they even use the Munoz name anymore.

BTW- here are the real specs for a A65 Freecarve Munoz as they were known in 1999 and listed for a $449. Effective edge is 152 with a 23.4/18.7/23.0 Nose/Waist/Tail measurements and a side cut radius of 1280. They also made an A55. I believe that was the last year they were made.